• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

new outside pen problem(any advice very welcome)

amia

we've just had a new out side pen made for the dogs yesterday to keep them from doing their business on the grass.the problem is they wont do their business in the pen and just hold it in until i have to let them go on the grass again because they end up poohing and weeing in the house!!

i was wondering if anyone has had this problem and what they did??anyone who has any advice is very welcome??

You need to train them to go in a new place.

I suggest buying Shirlee Kalstone's book on housetraining as it gives guidance on training dogs to go in a particular place. You can order it from amazon.co.uk.

Am not sure if I understand though -- are you turning them into a pen when you put them out to go? Or are you keeping them outside in a pen during the day? If the latter -- it isn't really the best situation to keep cavaliers as they are indoor dogs and have neither the temperament or coat to remain outside during the day on their own. Anxiety at being penned up may be the reason they won't go in this new area.

If the pen is there as a toileting place only -- you will need to walk them in and train them -- each one individually -- to go in this new place the same way you housetrained -- rewards and praise and keeping them on lead every time you go out until they learn this new place. However, breaking them from using an area they have always used til now may be very difficult. They have no idea that this is a new place for them to go. Placing one or two of their poops in the new pen may help the process along too.

hi karlin

the pen is just for them to go to the toilet.holly is the only one who done a wee in the pen the others really don't get it at all.its very frustrating because i know and they know there dying for the toilet but soon as i let them out they just sit there looking at me and then go in the house.ill definitely give those suggestions ago i just hope they work lol!!

When I moved house my dogs took ages before they would go to the toilet as the designated toilet area did not have their scent there.
I had to get their mess and leave a few pieces dotted around to teach them to go in that place.

Back