PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Ohio

FreedomsPups
6th March 2008, 01:17 AM
Hi everyone!
I'm so happy to have found this board. I never even knew what a Cavalier was until little over 2 years ago when we adopted Quincy, our Cav/Cocker from a local rescue group that works with getting dogs out of puppy mills, mostly in the Amish areas of Ohio. He was just 2 months when we got him so he had no mill issues. He is adorable and we just LOVE him to death! He is so smart!
This year we adopted our 3 year old Nellie. The rescue group 'purchased' her at an auction when she was VERY VERY pregnant. Only 2 of her pups survived, probably due to not having the proper nutrition. After Nellie's pups were adopted, Nellie was adopted as well but after 3 days, was brought back because 'she was too difficult' I was thrilled and jumped at the chance to give her the TLC she deserves. It sure is not easy but she's getting there. Imagine trying to each a 3 year old dog how to play, what a toy is...yep is going to be difficult but she is so very sweet.
Anyone with any suggestions on how to help my little girl blossom would be appreciated.

Lynne

Cathy Moon
6th March 2008, 01:37 AM
icon_welcome:mexwav: Welcome to the board Lynne!

I live in Ohio too, and may have seen you rescuing at the Amish dog auction we protested last year. It is just heartbreaking to see the poor, neglected puppy mill dogs.:(

My sister has a rescue dog, and he learned to play - he learned from watching her other dog. I've also read that kong toys stuffed with food help them learn to play.

FreedomsPups
6th March 2008, 02:12 AM
Small world, eh? :)

I've only started going to the auctions with the groups this year. It is heartbreaking...to see the condition of the dogs when they get there, how they are 'stored' in trailers and brought out like a piece of meat when the auction begins.
The only good thing is how many the groups I go with have been able to rescue. The one group rescues Havanese (www.rescuedhavanese.org (http://www.rescuedhavanese.org)) and the other group (www.freedomrescue.org (http://www.freedomrescue.org)) is where Quincy & Nellie came from. They rescue all types. We would like to rescue more Cavaliers, but the prices of them at this last auction were so high, we were only able to get one. All and all this past trip was a great one and we brought home 21 dogs! :rah:
We have one little guy, a Tri Cavalier from the past auction that we have not been able to adopt out because he has some type of blood disorder that is really stumping the vets around here and draining the funds :(

Charleen
6th March 2008, 02:14 AM
Welcome Lynne! I live a little further to the Northeast near Buffalo NY. Glad to have you on the board. Please post pictures of your 2 lovely cavaliers.

Cathy Moon
6th March 2008, 02:41 AM
We have one little guy, a Tri Cavalier from the past auction that we have not been able to adopt out because he has some type of blood disorder that is really stumping the vets around here and draining the funds :(

Here is information on a platelet disorder in cavaliers:
http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=9125

If this is what the tri boy has, don't worry! My Geordie has it, and absolutely no treatment is needed. He is perfectly healthy. Every time he has blood work they have to do a hand count, because his platelets are over-sized and few. If your tri has this, don't let the vets try to treat it - that will most likely do more harm than good! You might want to take a print out to the vet.

Cathy T
6th March 2008, 03:20 AM
Welcome Lynne! Loved reading about your two and the efforts you make for rescue.