• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

harness or collar

All dogs need a collar to have tag information -- in the UK as in Ireland this is the law that dogs MUST have tags with your name, address (and I'd always put phone).

But I would never walk a cavalier on a collar.

DEFRA:

ALL DOGS MUST WEAR A COLLAR AND CLEARLY-DISPLAYED TAG

The tag must bear the name and address of the dog's owner.

harness!

I use a breakaway collar to prevent accidental collar strangulation. My neighbors dog died of this, so I am paranoid. The collar can be found here.

I had this same question a few weeks ago.
Hands down, the answer is harness.
Cavaliers are prone to a disease called syringomyelia (SM) and wearing a collar (which puts stress on the neck) can aggravate the condition and/or the symptoms.
Why take a chance? I switched our boy to a puppia harness and he is very happy with it. I picked one up on Ebay for around $18.00. Shipping was $2.75.

Here was the sizing information taken from the Ebay ad:
The Puppia Soft Dog Harness is a real winner for comfort and is a best seller for your dogs.

XSmall
Neck 7-9"
Chest 11-13"
Weight 3-4 Lb.
Young Puppy, Chihuahua, Miniature Pinscher...

Small
Neck 9"-11"
Chest 14"-16"
Weight 5-7 Lb
Chihuahua,Yorkie, Maltese, Toy Poodle, Papilon, Pomeranian

Medium
Neck 11"-13"
Chest 16"-19"
Weight 7-10 lbs
Maltese, Shi Tzu, Toy Poodle, Beagle, French Bulldog........

Large
Neck 13"-15"
Chest 19"-23"
Weight 12-18 lbs
Shi Tzu, Pekingese, Min Schnauzer, Cocker Spaniel

XLarge
Neck 15"-17"
Chest 20"-29"
Weight 20-30
Bichon Frise......

Please measure you dog for the best fit. The breeds listed for each size are just an idea.
For proper fit, measure girth around the broadest part of the chest.

Customers always ask us to measure the harness before we ship it out
These are our measurements of the actual harness. The chest can be adjusted
Due to the soft mesh material harnesses do stretch after a wile

Note: The neck and chest measurements are the important measurements. The weight is not.

harness!

I use a breakaway collar to prevent accidental collar strangulation. My neighbors dog died of this, so I am paranoid. The collar can be found here.

Have you any idea where I could get them over here in Dublin or how much it would cost to get 3 shipped to me.

For pet dogs I would recommend a harness, Puppia's are a great choice, Pippa I believe you can buy them from Tara's shop? Am sure some other helpful member will provide a link for you!!

I do use a harness for walking but was looking for a safe collar for wearing all the time as I am always wary of them escaping out the front door. I wasn't until recently and they didn't wear collar and tag unless going out but I was there when a friends cavalier escaped out the front door and just took off! Luckily they got her back.She was so fast.
I am really careful as are my family but there is always a risk with visitors etc. So now they wear their collar and tag at all times,but now I am nervous about that!! I think I was less stressed about my kids safety when they were young...well maybe not...but I thought I was done with all that..now I worry about these babies!

I have just gotten charlie a puppia harness it looks like a little bodywarmer on him. I was just wondring do i leave it on him all the time including bedtime or is it better that i just put it on him when i'm bringing him out?:dogwlk:

Sasha wears a collar w/ tags all day (I take it off at bedtime), and we use a harness for walks. We also have a doggie booster seat for the car that clips onto her harness.

Back