PDA

View Full Version : My naked puppy

murphy's mum
9th March 2008, 12:24 PM
I took my boy to the groomers yesterday, a different one as our old groomers had closed. When I picked him up I was shocked to say the least:eek:.

BEFORE
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r215/icklp360/P1020005.jpg

AND AFTER
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r215/icklp360/P1110020.jpg
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r215/icklp360/P1110021.jpg
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r215/icklp360/P1110023.jpg

He's had a number one, I asked her to just to trim his ears & tail, forgot to mention his feathers, and give him a tidy up everywhere else:o

His tail has been cut right back, and he's no feathers. He doesn't look so bad to me today, but I kept just looking at him yesterday. But on the positive he's a bit of an off road puppy, always up the forest tearing through the bushes and mud. So at least he'll be easy to clean off:rolleyes:

lady and amber
9th March 2008, 12:51 PM
:yikes Are you sure you got the right dog back, the face is the same not sure about the body, at least you wont get hair all over the place :smile:

Cathy Moon
9th March 2008, 01:19 PM
Now you have the perfect excuse to buy him a fleece jacket and a lined bad weather coat! ;) What is Murphy's reaction to his 'shearing'?

Chanel
9th March 2008, 02:51 PM
It must have been a chock! But he is cute.

ice-cavi
9th March 2008, 03:23 PM
He can pull it off,such a beautyfull boy but STILL I would have thrown a fit if I got my dog back from the groomers like that:mad:

murphy's mum
9th March 2008, 03:29 PM
We're just back from the forest:dogwlk:, he's filthy but with his new hair cut it'll brush off in no time:)

Murphy doesn't seem too bothered about it, he kept licking his sheath yesterday cause she's shaved that too:eek: I'll need to be firmer in stating my wishes next time I take him in. I guess I'd got used to my old groomer knowing what I wanted.

He's still gorgeous, and he looks super slim, and it wont take long for it to grow back I hope. He's got his jacket if the weathers bad, and maybe I wont need to do as much hoovering:v*cuum:

Yvonne117
9th March 2008, 04:24 PM
I know exactly how you feel Harvey was scalped last time we went but in the end we grew to love it and he is booked in for the same again next saturday.

Cathy T
9th March 2008, 04:47 PM
Gulp.....yes, what a big surprise!! But, on the upside....much less grooming now!! :)

Cathryn
9th March 2008, 06:58 PM
OMG!! :eek: :eek:

Now that is one extreme hair cut to say the least!! I am all for your pets being comfortable in the hot summer weather, but it's winter right now........:eek:

As you say, far less grooming for him, but that is just about the most extreme cut I have ever seen!!:eek:

Karlin
9th March 2008, 07:27 PM
I'd ask for your money back and make a complaint with the manager. Yet again this is why I won;t send my dogs, any of them, to groomers. Even the normally excellent groomers I had to take Lily too when she came from the pound and her coat was a mess, cut all the hair off her feet despite my express instructions not to cut anything anywhere except to even out the coat on her body so she didn't look raggedy. It is 15 months on and her slippers still have never recovered. :x

I would be absolutely furious as it will be the end of summer before his coat is remotely the length it was.

There is absolutely no excuse for any groomer in the UK or Ireland not to know how to groom a cavalier, *the most common and popular breed in the toy group*! How can they not know the STANDARD? Any deviation from it should require express consent! Instead they shave them even more extreme than they'd do a cocker -- I have no idea where they even get the idea that anyone wants their dog totally shaved!! :mad::mad::mad:

hbmama
10th March 2008, 12:27 AM
Well, you and Murphy are really good sports. As another member stated, his coloring is so nice that "he can pull it off." He may look a little like a fluff ball as the hair re-grows. If you decide to let his coat come back, why don't you post a new pic every few weeks so we can see how he is progressing! He is a cutie patootie anyway you have him! :luv:

murphy's mum
10th March 2008, 10:04 AM
It is 15 months on and her slippers still have never recovered. :x

I would be absolutely furious as it will be the end of summer before his coat is remotely the length it was.

Oh my god:( I thought it would only take a couple of months:swear:

Here was me trying to look on the bright. I started taking him to a groomers cause his coat gets really long and messy. Will need to re-think perhaps:(

Karlin
10th March 2008, 10:22 AM
He will have some fur growing out within a few weeks so won't look quite so extreme. But unless he has a very fast growing coat I'd guess end of summer or so before he has any length again. I am waiting for Jaspar's one bare lower leg to fill in again post surgery and a month on hardly anything has come in. :eek:

You just need to find a responsible groomer who LISTENS. Call me picky :lol:, but I don't see how 'neatening up' could ever possibly mean *shave the dog as if you were about to do a surgical procedure*. But it happens all the time as you can see from many similar posts made here. If you told a hair stylist to neaten up your hair, imagine what you'd do to them if they shaved your head as their personal interpretation! :rolleyes: So why does this happen to dogs for a popular breed that does actually have a breed standard a groomer should know? For those that want some trimming, there are easy ways to neaten up things and keep the full appearance but have it be easier to manage. The other look I really detest is where they mostly shave them a la cockers, but leave a weird thin curtain of long hair on the sides -- it is the cavalier equivalent of a combover. :sl*p:

KingstonsMom
10th March 2008, 01:58 PM
Wow... You should definitely tell that groomer to learn the proper way of grooming a Cavalier. If someone shaved my Kingston's coat I can't even explain how crazy I would go on them.

But what's done is done, so definitely be happy his fur will grow back!

Cathryn
10th March 2008, 02:17 PM
Don't worry too much about it, as Karlin has said it will start to grow back in again quite soon, plus it is winter now so that will encourage the growth a bit more too, all you need now is to find a groomer who knows how to trim a Cavalier, you could try asking at your vets or local pet shop if they know of any-one?? HTH??

sins
10th March 2008, 02:23 PM
He's such a lovely dog anyway, it doesn't really detract from his appearance.However,just imagine if someone with a cavalier who has show potential goes in and comes out scalped:eek:?
Any hope we had of showing Daisy last year went out the window when a groomer trimmed off all the feathering between her toes and around her feet. It's taken four months to grow back to an almost acceptable length but of course it looks like it's been trimmed.....
I would certainly mention it to the owner of the salon, mainly to prevent it happening to some other dog who's owner may not take too kindly to it.
Sins

inca
10th March 2008, 02:41 PM
OMG!! :eek: :eek:

Now that is one extreme hair cut to say the least!! I am all for your pets being comfortable in the hot summer weather, but it's winter right now........:eek:

As you say, far less grooming for him, but that is just about the most extreme cut I have ever seen!!:eek:

with you there crikey i would have cried but then again it will grow back in no time :)

Daisy's Mom
10th March 2008, 03:22 PM
Count me in with those who said they would make a very strong complaint to the manager (that is, after I finished my crying jag when I first saw him coming out like that). Not that he's not beautiful, but that was one very bad scalp job.

As others have said, Murphy is still beautiful and he will look more like himself as the months go by. But I definitely would never take him to that place again. (In fact, I'd be so gun shy that I'd probably never let any groomer touch him again.) What were they thinking?

Keep a coat on the poor little guy! Bless you, you seem to be taking it much better than I would!

niki
10th March 2008, 03:45 PM
Suki's only been to the groomers once - i just wanted her ears tidided up and her pads trimmed and also just a general tidy up - the lady owns and shows her own cavaliers so i felt comfortable using her, but i was a bit shocked when i picked her up, i felt that her ears were too short and she had taken too much from her tail and the top of her feet.

She's also recently been spayed and i hate the little bit of trimming that they've done at the vets it's made her look really skinny

Murphy looks handsome still but i bet you can't wait for his coat to return. if your unhappy i would definately ask for a refund and complain

once saw a lady with 2 cavaliers - both shaved she said she always clipped them short because they love to go in the sea. they were also still beautiful - but very different!

Cathy T
10th March 2008, 03:48 PM
Bless you, you seem to be taking it much better than I would

Me too!! I would have been furious. I think it's wonderful, though, that you've looked on the bright side of things. After all...it's not like getting angry will make his coat grow back any faster. But I do agree with the others that I would make a complaint. Murphy is adorable....naked or furry.....but that is definitely not a "neaten up" trim that's a full on shave. Good thing he's such a handsome fella and can pull off the look!! ;)

Lisa_T
10th March 2008, 07:07 PM
It really does depend on the individual dog. I had Holly and Amber done at the start of summer within a couple of weeks of each other, and both were clipped pretty short. Several months later, all of Holly's feathers are well and truly back, and even my mum commented last weekend that she had a very full coat. By contrast, Amber's feathers are still at the barely-there stage and the most you can say for her is that she looks fluffy.

Cathryn
10th March 2008, 09:31 PM
Many years back during a ferry crossing back from Ireland to Scotland (Had been to Belfast Champ Show) a well known breeder travelling with us was actually moaning about one of his Champion Bitches!! Why??

"I chop 2 inches off her ears every six weeks!" he moaned to me,
"They just keep growing back!"

Boy I REALLY wish I had that problem!! :lol:

murphy's mum
10th March 2008, 09:42 PM
I guess I'm taking it so well cause he's still my gorgeous boy no matter what:luv:
Although I am hoping it will grow fast, his feathers normally grow really fast so hopefully the rest will follow suit:xfngr:

I have to admit it's great coming in from muddy walk, and only having to brush it off. But I do miss his silky coat, he looks so skinny cut like this, just not how I'd like my wee boy to look. He normally never has a jacker on except in really, really bad weather, but it's now on for every walk:(.

I've put the 1st photo of the thread as my desktop background to remind me what my boy should look like.

I don't think I'll go back to the same groomers:mad:, don't think I'd trust her even if I was more specific about everything

ann
10th March 2008, 10:53 PM
:eek: I dont blame you for being upset with that groomer :mad:
I took Ellie for her first trim today ( see under general) I was very fussy about what I wanted, I even whote down what I wanted her NOT to do.
After all we are paying for a service so we have every right to tell them...... :xfngr: that your wee doggy's hair grows back quickly

hbmama
11th March 2008, 12:00 AM
I have a friend who owns a doggie-self-wash business. You have your choice of washing your own pup for a nominal fee, or making an appointment with their groomer. I just take her in every 3 or 4 weeks, brush her down and use the wonderful facilities to bathe and blow dry her. As needed, my friend will just trim the fur on her foot pads and clip nails while I hold her.

Dottie loves going to the "beauty parlor" and getting all the attention, yet, I get to bathe her and keep her under my watchful eye the whole time. Beats having a bathtub full of fur and wet walls and floors at home!! :thmbsup:

pippa
11th March 2008, 01:43 AM
I would have been mad too but I think I would have refused to pay after all you did point out what you wanted. He does still look cute but I prefer the before look! Hope he grows his coat back really soon.

Ps. It happened to me years ago with a long haired parsons jack russell I had I was fuming but still paid as she said she would trim him amd I said that was fine..Thing was her Idea of trimming was to shave!
I soon got used to the look though and he was easier for me to groom daily.

Lisa_T
11th March 2008, 01:57 AM
Many years back during a ferry crossing back from Ireland to Scotland (Had been to Belfast Champ Show) a well known breeder travelling with us was actually moaning about one of his Champion Bitches!! Why??

"I chop 2 inches off her ears every six weeks!" he moaned to me,
"They just keep growing back!"

Boy I REALLY wish I had that problem!! :lol:

Yeah, sounds exactly like Holly. I don't like the shaved look, but I do find a short clip MUCH easier to manage. especially with Amber who really does seem to permanently moult.

If the feathers grow back quickly, you may well find the rest will do likewise.

Daisy's Mom
11th March 2008, 04:34 PM
I thought it was unacceptable to cut any hair on a show Cavalier at all (other than the bottoms of their feet). Why would that show breeder cut her ears off all the time? Wouldn't that be admitting to breaking the rules? And woudn't ultra-long ears be a plus in the show ring? Seems weird.

I love Daisy's long hair and would never, ever have any length cut off anywhere. I literally had trouble sleeping the night before the one time I took her for a bath and spot-trim (bottom of feet and a clean up of the sanitary area), for fear they would cut her hair or feathers at all. I was so serious and so specific with the groomer that she definitely got the point and only trimmed those areas and nowhere else.

The only reason I brought her to be groomed in the first place was to see if a pro would get her shinier, softer or fluffier than I did after a bath. She really looked just like she does when I do her, so I won't bring her to a groomer again unless I'm in a big time crunch before taking her on a trip or something. Plus it was $48!!!! Yikes.

Not being required to have a dog professionally groomed was one benefit I thought about with having a Cavalier in the first place. I grew up with toy poodles who were groomed every 6 weeks, and I always felt bad bringing them in and trusting the groomer to be kind. You could tell they hated being brought in to the groomer's, so that really bothered me. Plus, every once in a while, the job would be botched and they would look absolutely terrible for 2 months. FeFe, our last poodle, had a trim job like that a couple of weeks before she died, and it always bothered me that her last days on this earth were spent looking like that. It was bad enough losing a beautiful dog who was my best friend for the past 13 years, but to see her looking like that was like adding insult to injury. She was extremely beautiful, with the best poodle coat you have ever seen. She could have been a show dog, at least coat-wise ( I don't know too much about the poodle conformation standard). Those idiots that groomed her last shaved her straight down her legs and didn't leave any sort of length around her ankles. It was pitiful. I know that when I see her again, she will have her beautiful coat again, but still, it hurt me. Sorry, I think I have to go and get a Kleenex -- sorry to get off topic.

cb2u
12th March 2008, 01:53 AM
The first time I ever took Sasha to a groomer, I asked that only the fur between the pawpads be trimmed. I specifically said please don't trim anything else. Wouldn't you know it, she came back with everything trimmed, including the slippers trimmed right off.

I was livid.... how dare they not listen to my requests, and how could they, as a supposedly reputable breeder, not know the breed standard?

I would have had my say, except my husband had picked her up. I never bothered to call them, and I now use a groomer who comes here in a van. He's really great. And good news, all Sasha's fur grew in very nicely.

Murphy is beautiful either way!! You are wise to look at the bright side....& your positive attitude is commendable & enviable! :)