• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My naked puppy

murphy's mum

I took my boy to the groomers yesterday, a different one as our old groomers had closed. When I picked him up I was shocked to say the least:eek:.

BEFORE
P1020005.jpg

AND AFTER
P1110020.jpg

P1110021.jpg

P1110023.jpg

He's had a number one, I asked her to just to trim his ears & tail, forgot to mention his feathers, and give him a tidy up everywhere else:eek:

His tail has been cut right back, and he's no feathers. He doesn't look so bad to me today, but I kept just looking at him yesterday. But on the positive he's a bit of an off road puppy, always up the forest tearing through the bushes and mud. So at least he'll be easy to clean off:rolleyes:

:yikes Are you sure you got the right dog back, the face is the same not sure about the body, at least you wont get hair all over the place :smile:

Now you have the perfect excuse to buy him a fleece jacket and a lined bad weather coat! ;) What is Murphy's reaction to his 'shearing'?

He can pull it off,such a beautyfull boy but STILL I would have thrown a fit if I got my dog back from the groomers like that:mad:

We're just back from the forest:dogwlk:, he's filthy but with his new hair cut it'll brush off in no time:)

Murphy doesn't seem too bothered about it, he kept licking his sheath yesterday cause she's shaved that too:eek: I'll need to be firmer in stating my wishes next time I take him in. I guess I'd got used to my old groomer knowing what I wanted.

He's still gorgeous, and he looks super slim, and it wont take long for it to grow back I hope. He's got his jacket if the weathers bad, and maybe I wont need to do as much hoovering:v*cuum:

I know exactly how you feel Harvey was scalped last time we went but in the end we grew to love it and he is booked in for the same again next saturday.

OMG!! :eek: :eek:

Now that is one extreme hair cut to say the least!! I am all for your pets being comfortable in the hot summer weather, but it's winter right now........:eek:

As you say, far less grooming for him, but that is just about the most extreme cut I have ever seen!!:eek:

I'd ask for your money back and make a complaint with the manager. Yet again this is why I won;t send my dogs, any of them, to groomers. Even the normally excellent groomers I had to take Lily too when she came from the pound and her coat was a mess, cut all the hair off her feet despite my express instructions not to cut anything anywhere except to even out the coat on her body so she didn't look raggedy. It is 15 months on and her slippers still have never recovered. :x

I would be absolutely furious as it will be the end of summer before his coat is remotely the length it was.

There is absolutely no excuse for any groomer in the UK or Ireland not to know how to groom a cavalier, *the most common and popular breed in the toy group*! How can they not know the STANDARD? Any deviation from it should require express consent! Instead they shave them even more extreme than they'd do a cocker -- I have no idea where they even get the idea that anyone wants their dog totally shaved!! :mad::mad::mad:

Well, you and Murphy are really good sports. As another member stated, his coloring is so nice that "he can pull it off." He may look a little like a fluff ball as the hair re-grows. If you decide to let his coat come back, why don't you post a new pic every few weeks so we can see how he is progressing! He is a cutie patootie anyway you have him! :luv:

It is 15 months on and her slippers still have never recovered. :x

I would be absolutely furious as it will be the end of summer before his coat is remotely the length it was.

Oh my god:( I thought it would only take a couple of months:swear:

Here was me trying to look on the bright. I started taking him to a groomers cause his coat gets really long and messy. Will need to re-think perhaps:(

He will have some fur growing out within a few weeks so won't look quite so extreme. But unless he has a very fast growing coat I'd guess end of summer or so before he has any length again. I am waiting for Jaspar's one bare lower leg to fill in again post surgery and a month on hardly anything has come in. :eek:

You just need to find a responsible groomer who LISTENS. Call me picky :lol:, but I don't see how 'neatening up' could ever possibly mean *shave the dog as if you were about to do a surgical procedure*. But it happens all the time as you can see from many similar posts made here. If you told a hair stylist to neaten up your hair, imagine what you'd do to them if they shaved your head as their personal interpretation! :rolleyes: So why does this happen to dogs for a popular breed that does actually have a breed standard a groomer should know? For those that want some trimming, there are easy ways to neaten up things and keep the full appearance but have it be easier to manage. The other look I really detest is where they mostly shave them a la cockers, but leave a weird thin curtain of long hair on the sides -- it is the cavalier equivalent of a combover. :sl*p:

Wow... You should definitely tell that groomer to learn the proper way of grooming a Cavalier. If someone shaved my Kingston's coat I can't even explain how crazy I would go on them.

But what's done is done, so definitely be happy his fur will grow back!

Don't worry too much about it, as Karlin has said it will start to grow back in again quite soon, plus it is winter now so that will encourage the growth a bit more too, all you need now is to find a groomer who knows how to trim a Cavalier, you could try asking at your vets or local pet shop if they know of any-one?? HTH??

He's such a lovely dog anyway, it doesn't really detract from his appearance.However,just imagine if someone with a cavalier who has show potential goes in and comes out scalped:eek:?
Any hope we had of showing Daisy last year went out the window when a groomer trimmed off all the feathering between her toes and around her feet. It's taken four months to grow back to an almost acceptable length but of course it looks like it's been trimmed.....
I would certainly mention it to the owner of the salon, mainly to prevent it happening to some other dog who's owner may not take too kindly to it.
Sins

OMG!! :eek: :eek:

Now that is one extreme hair cut to say the least!! I am all for your pets being comfortable in the hot summer weather, but it's winter right now........:eek:

As you say, far less grooming for him, but that is just about the most extreme cut I have ever seen!!:eek:

with you there crikey i would have cried but then again it will grow back in no time :)

Count me in with those who said they would make a very strong complaint to the manager (that is, after I finished my crying jag when I first saw him coming out like that). Not that he's not beautiful, but that was one very bad scalp job.

As others have said, Murphy is still beautiful and he will look more like himself as the months go by. But I definitely would never take him to that place again. (In fact, I'd be so gun shy that I'd probably never let any groomer touch him again.) What were they thinking?

Keep a coat on the poor little guy! Bless you, you seem to be taking it much better than I would!

Suki's only been to the groomers once - i just wanted her ears tidided up and her pads trimmed and also just a general tidy up - the lady owns and shows her own cavaliers so i felt comfortable using her, but i was a bit shocked when i picked her up, i felt that her ears were too short and she had taken too much from her tail and the top of her feet.

She's also recently been spayed and i hate the little bit of trimming that they've done at the vets it's made her look really skinny

Murphy looks handsome still but i bet you can't wait for his coat to return. if your unhappy i would definately ask for a refund and complain

once saw a lady with 2 cavaliers - both shaved she said she always clipped them short because they love to go in the sea. they were also still beautiful - but very different!

Bless you, you seem to be taking it much better than I would

Me too!! I would have been furious. I think it's wonderful, though, that you've looked on the bright side of things. After all...it's not like getting angry will make his coat grow back any faster. But I do agree with the others that I would make a complaint. Murphy is adorable....naked or furry.....but that is definitely not a "neaten up" trim that's a full on shave. Good thing he's such a handsome fella and can pull off the look!! ;)

Back