• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Companion or not?

Noelle

I'm looking for some advice please, my husband and I are considering getting a second Cavalier as a companion for our puppy.We both work near to home and Brinkley is never home alone for more than an hour.However it was suggested to us that its a good idea for a cavalier to have another dog companion.Can anyone advise on this please?

It is a good idea, I think most dogs prefer a companion. But if he is only a puppy you should wait til he is 12-18 months and fully trained in obedience -- this is the normal recommendation of trainers and breeders and I fully agree from my own experience. I got a second when Jaspar was only 10 months old and it was way too early -- as a consequence neither dog ever got the full time and attention they needed while still young. Otherwise all the time and attention will move towards housetraining and managing a second puppy and he will probably never get the complete training and focus from you that he needs right now. I'd only suggest getting an adult as a second dog at the moment -- but wouldn't even do that if he is still young. An adult can take as much time as a puppy, depending on training and behaviour.

Hi!

Agree with Karlin on this, hard as it may be please do wait around a year at the very least before going for your 2nd dog. It can be very difficult to train 2 juvenile's at the same time for starters, plus you will have dogs of a similar age who may have dominance issue's too, and last of all you stand a higher chance of double heartache many years from now when they may both cross the bridge......... all food for thought. On a more positive note cavaliers do do betters in pairs for certain, plus you will get double the love too!! :luv: :luv:

Thanks

Wow glad i joined the site,thanks for the advice i'll definetly wait so,I had almost adopted an older cavalier from the local dog shelter.I probably still take a rescue dog in future as im currently fundraising for the same shelter anyway. Id love give a less fortunate dog a loving home:paw:

Cottage Rescue

Hi Karlin,

Thats the one, Millie but she has since been adopted.They do great work up there.

I'll go against the group and would get the second one now. Ours are three months apart and we didn't have any more problems with either of them because of it. We might have avoided a 'dominance struggle' because we already had older dogs.

Back