PDA

View Full Version : Sofa Fabric

Phyllis
10th March 2008, 06:52 PM
Hi there,
What is the best sofa fabric to withstand two Cavalier couch lovers. We

have to get a new sofa for the family room. Is leather the best choice -maybe distressed so any scratches don't matter? :confused:

Phyllis with Molly and Cholmondeley ( Chum!)

molly
10th March 2008, 08:00 PM
We bought a microfiber ultrasuede couch and loveseat and have now had them for 2.5 yrs. They look like new. Water/liquid spills bead up on it and wipe right off. We have lots of dogs and plenty of fosters who are on the furniture every day. And the pet hair vacuums right off it too. I did buy some microfiber blankets in the same taupe color color as the furniture this year and keep them tucked on the seats for every day just because of muddy paws in the winter and spring. I was afraid leather would scratch and crack. But I think it's a personal choice and leather looks great too.

Cathryn
10th March 2008, 09:41 PM
Have leather myself, deep scratches do show up on the darker colours, but on the positive side it is so easy to clean down, simply invest in a packet of baby wipes! Mine is now well over 10 years old and is just starting to show it's age!! HTH??

Barbara Nixon
10th March 2008, 10:36 PM
My leather suite is 17 years old and good as new except for a button which slipped back, due to stitching too near to the edge of the seam. This can be put right but means a double journey to a little shop and living with a backless setee for a week.

It gets cleaned with leather cleaner and fed every three months with Gliptone hide food. Gliptone is the best as it's used by Rolls Royce.

You can see the condition in this photo of Teddy.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d54/BarbaraNixon/teddydown2012.jpg

There are different types of leather, depending on the layer used (one skin provides different leathers in slices). the most expensive , analine (i think it's called ) is very soft, lovely to touch, but ruined if it gets wet. Ours is the next grade down.and has a waterproof coating. Low grades are rough to the touch.

Also beware of cheap imports as they are mass produced and shoddy. mine is by Frayling, who were UK maufacturers, but hey failed when they outsourced to Poland etc and ended up with poor quality goods (eg suites with three coulours on one chair0 This meant more returnes than sales and liquidation.

Should leather lose it's colour, you can from companys like Gliptone, buy made to measure dye. Also , there are treatments for scratches and scuffs (DIY or custom ).

Melissa
10th March 2008, 11:24 PM
I have had my micro fiber sofa and love seat for the just over 3 years and it's holding up really well with 2 cats and dog and lots of entertaining... also lots of my sister spending nights sleeping on it. Ours is also really cheap. My mother in law has distressed leather and has lots of company, a retiver and a carine terrier and it looks wonderful. And I also know that it is high end too.

hbmama
10th March 2008, 11:45 PM
We love our cream colored leather couch and loveseat. We spend most of our time in the family room there, and off white does not show scratches. They are easy to wipe down with a moist towel or baby wipe and look like new even though they are over 15 years old! Dottie often sleeps stretched out on the top/back of the sofas. Everyone is happy and they are low maintenance. :thmbsup:

Barbara Nixon
10th March 2008, 11:48 PM
We had a cream coloured suite, mock leather called Haleskin before the green. The latter doesn't even mark, but the cream was always mucky. Mind you we had tao large springers, in those days.

Cathy T
11th March 2008, 01:09 AM
I have camel colored leather sofas and love them!

Cathy Moon
11th March 2008, 02:49 AM
I have off-white washable slipcovered sofa and chairs. I've had them for 12 years now. I put washable throws on them for every day - makes it quick and easy to pick up the dog hair! http://shop.arhaus.com/webcoll/?c=Slipcovers

Phyllis
11th March 2008, 12:50 PM
Thanks for all the good advice. It is very helpful.

Phyllis:)

shippers
11th March 2008, 02:51 PM
We have brown leather. I hoover the hair off with the brush attachment on the dyson then wipe with fragrance free baby wipes. Occasionally I put the cream cleaner on and protector and that reminds me it needs doing!! Good luck searching for a sofa Pippa. I also buy washable cushion covers to go on the sofa. I like everything in our house to be washable its much easier