• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pup sick from bully stick???

Mom of Jato

My puppy just turned 15 weeks old, and I gave him a bully stick to chew on for the first time last night. He loved it, but I took it away from him after about an hour. He drank LOTS of water afterwards, and then I noticed he threw up clear liquid in his bed during the night. This morning he didn't want to eat his dinner (very strange for him), and I could hear his belly making gurgling noises. Do you think the bully stick has made him sick?

They are not items i'd give to my dogs as you do't know what chemicals have been used to preserve them. A vet once warned that treat items produced in the Third World can contain toxins, as those countries don't have strict rules about chemical usage.

Did the bully stick have some kind of coating? I won't let my dogs have them if there is a coating on it.

We used to give Ruby bully sticks on occasion, but they didn't agree with her either. I learned that the hard way because my husband bought some mini bully sticks, and she had one on consecutive days. I walked in to a complete disaster that night, as she had had diarrhea ALL over the place. She was pitiful and incredibly upset about the entire situation. I'd be careful with those things.....

I always try to find the ones what are unflavored/not smoked. Maverick seems to do fine with them. Did your puppy eat anything else that could make him ill?

They are called Moo Dog Chews. They are made by Free Range Dog Chews, Inc. out of MI - I only bought them because the owner of the shop told me they were all natural, and quite good for puppies to chew on. That is the only thing unusual I gave him to eat that day. I finally got him to eat 2 meals today instead of 3, but he had LOTS of loose stools this evening. What should I do about feeding him since his belly is obviously upset?

Mika used to go through a few instances of loose poop (to put it mildly) as a puppy. For when she was really bad, the vet recommended no food at all for 24 hours, then slowly start adding steamed white rice, then her food a little at a time. It worked every time and after about 2 days she'd be back on regular food and her old self again.

They are called Moo Dog Chews. They are made by Free Range Dog Chews, Inc. out of MI - I only bought them because the owner of the shop told me they were all natural, and quite good for puppies to chew on. That is the only thing unusual I gave him to eat that day. I finally got him to eat 2 meals today instead of 3, but he had LOTS of loose stools this evening. What should I do about feeding him since his belly is obviously upset?

Since he is so young, I would call the vet and ask. Puppies this young can quickly become dehydrated; make sure he has access to water at all times and that he is drinking. If he is not drinking, you might want to make small amounts of broth with plain strained baby food chicken (make sure there is no onion in it!) and water for him to drink. When our cavs were puppies and had diarrhea, the vet told us to skip meals for up to 12 hours, not 24 hours. Also, feeding a 50-50 mix of cut up boiled chicken (no skin) and boiled white rice is easier to digest than kibble.

I always get the Merricks brand and then let Dottie chew for just a bit and then lift it for later. Too much gives her a nasty "silent but deadly" wind. :rolleyes: That petite, feminine little girl can clear a room when she gets going! :eek:

That's funny you mentioned the "silent but deadly wind", as Jato had that going on too. WOW- it is really bad!!! I have decided no more bully sticks for him until maybe he gets a bit older. I fed him rice and cooked chicken breast for each meal today, and so far his stools are firming up.:rah: Thank you to everyone for all of your advice and help. As a new puppy owner, I have a lot to learn.

Back