PDA

View Full Version : Ear Chewing??

Maggie's Mom
13th March 2008, 01:33 PM
I don't know if this is a training issue but my 2 year old Maggie has started to chew on her long ear hair. Thought she might have gotten those long ears into her dinner bowl, so I bathed her and the next thing I see she is chewing again. Has anyone had this problem? What should I do? Thinking of trimming them so she can not reach, but they are so pretty long.

Diane

Karlin
13th March 2008, 08:39 PM
Some cavaliers just seem to be ear eaters. But a lot depends on context -- is she doing this at certain times eg while crated, while home alone, while sitting around with nothing else to do? eg to relieve boredom or anxiety? If so, addressing the problem by giving her something else to chew on and shifting this behaviour to a more appropriate object might help.

I'd try giving her something she likes to chew on whenever you see her doing this -- a stuffed Kong or a favourite chew.

If this has become a habit and she just likes hair chewing, or is a bit of an obsessive compulsive behaviour -- some try something like Bitter Apple on the ear hair but that won't put off a determined chewer. In that case trimming the ears may be the best solution, if that doesn't bother you.

I've read some show breeders posts noting thy have a chewer who gos for the OTHER dog's ears and which have ruined ears right before a show! :eek: So it definitely is a known problem.

Cathy Moon
13th March 2008, 11:53 PM
Make sure you check her teeth for hair - it can wrap around the little front teeth and cause receding gums and loosening of the teeth.

I would find ways to redirect her attention to something that's healthier to chew on, and try to discourage the hair chewing.

Caraline
20th March 2008, 12:25 AM
Make sure you check her teeth for hair - it can wrap around the little front teeth and cause receding gums and loosening of the teeth.

Wow Cathy! I would never have thought of that and yet is makes eminent sense.

Mine will chew on theirs if they get something yummy tangled in there from dinner.