• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Vaccination side effects?

TriTitch

Just to ask - Titch had his booster jab today and he is reacting exactly the same as he did last year - very sensitive to the touch.
Hes behaving in a very subdued manner and when a friend stroked him earlier he whimpered and wouldnt go near her again.

My question is: Is this normal behaviour after a jab?

I am paranoid about SM and Titch is scared of the vets after last year having grass seeds removed from his ears which was very uncomfortable for him.
Can SM symptoms be brought on by all the stress of the Jab and all that came with it or are his side affects normal?

Ive got to go out to a human parents evening now leaving my 17 year old in charge of Titch for the evening but will log in a bit later on tonight.

It is not uncommon for them to be sensitive and a bit subdued for the day or two after a jab (as it is for people too). If the vet gave it in the neck or back I'd ask for a thigh next time, never the neck. (y)

A jab would not bring on SM but it could be very uncomfortable for a dog with a syrinx to receive jabs in the neck area.

Going by all the research samples so far,probably at least half and perhaps the majority of cavaliers will develop SM over their lifetime and almost all have the Chiari-like bone malformation which makes the skull smaller than in should be, which can produce the same symptoms on its own in some cases, but only a small number will be symptomatic. So in many ways the equation isn't really whether a dog has SM but whether you are seeing symptoms consistently enough to want to have this checked by a vet. If all you are seeing is some tenderness in the area of a jab that is most likely related to the jab. The one time Leo(with SM) has reacted to an injection, it was about a 5-10 minute response and that was it. the vet gave an injection into his back before I could stop him.

Oh right cool (y)

I must admit I did cringe today when she jabbed Titch in the neck.
Last time it was in the hind quarters which was more acceptable....saying that the reaction was the same...

I did actually question the vet today about SM and she had never heard of it :eek:

I was very tempted to attempt to educate her regarding the physics of it but restrained myself.Have you a printable version of the basics I could present to her?
Titch has now been booked in for the middle of April to be castrated so I will have an opportunity to speak to her about it then.

Bobo had the same reaction to the vacination shot DHLP-P, he would be so sore he would not even walk it would last for the day of the shot.
The next year when it was time for his shot I told my vet about his reaction he said he would give him a steriod shot along with the vac
and see he how he would do, and Bobo was not sore at all he was very energenic all day.
judy

I find it odd that a vet would suggest an immune suppressant (steroid shot) and inoculations at the same time. My regular vet suggested taking lepto out (which helped immensely), giving benedryl or the holistic vet suggested thuja.

Hi
At six tonight Daisy had her booster and i mentioned about where to inject, and his comment was it does not make any great differance and as a norm he does it in the scruff of the neck because of the amount of loose skin there but in the flappy skin on a back leg was also fine but certainly not in the chest area where somebody recommened ,after all that i wasnt sure where he had injected as Daisy made no noticeable noise ,he then told me it was a leg shot,and so far shes been perfectly fine
Daisy being by far the nosiest of the three and also the most mischevious by far ,for example she pops into the bathroom and shreds either the loo rolls or the bath sponge shes just like a toddler if shes quiet something is wrong ,just lately she crawls under the bed to sleep and sometimes she crunchs things this makes me highly nervous as theres cables and allsorts there and unfortunately Rosie who is six months younger seems to be quite a willing pupil, and i thought all my baby and toddler/terrible two stages were long gone .Oh Well . As previously said they are all off to the groomers tomorrow soi have quite few hours with just two sleepy aged white pussy cats. By the way basic instructions for the groomers No slippers or feathers cut just the bottom of the feet and lightly thin the coat and trim around the bum and just round the ears without reducing any length ,
shampoo and blow dry and clean ears if needed do you think that will do or have i missed something

Vaccination Side Effects

Could I mention that in this week's Dog World ,in an Article ,it was said at a Griffon Seminar last week, that Cavaliers have Bigger Brains and Smaller Heads than other Toy Breeds .

Could this be a result of Geneticllly Susceptible Cavaliers having had an adverse reaction to their Vaccination ,and this has caused a Swelling of their Brain ,linking this ,to the SM Problem .

Bet

Back