• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

whats the difference

lots of people get the breeds confused and think they are one and the same, but they are very different, KCS are smaller and have very different facial features - i'm sure someone on here can post pics of both breeds.
If you type 'King Charles Spaniel' into google images you get pictures of cavvies so people can be slightly forgiven for the confusion!!!

the UK cavalier club website gives a good description and notes the differences between the two breeds

:lol: I Googled "King Charles Spaniel" and the first 6 or 7 sites were for CAVALIER King Charles Spaniels!! Even the pics at the top of the list were Cavaliers!! :bang::sl*p:

Anyway here is a pic of a Black and Tan KING Charles Spaniel for you!!

kingcharlesspaniel.jpg

they actually have very little in common apart from the name

cavaliers are the more common type , they have a longer nose, flat skull & should not have freckles , they are very outgoing & love anyone & everyone. & love their food

King charles have a short upturned nose. round skull & blen & tri usually have freckles. . coats are often shorter and curlier than in cavs

tails are sometimes short but if left long they are more like a bottle brush shape than the flag we see on cavaliers
they are reserved with strangers ,stubborn & very fun loving with a fun sence of humor. they are usually one person dogs & are very loyal to their chosen person

Thanks for that experienced insight. :) That B&T is very handsome!

It doesn't help that KCs are now fairly rare and so most people in the UK and Ireland mean a CKCS when they say a King Charles -- it drives me absolutely crazy. In the US KCs are known as English Toy Spaniels so there isn't really the same level of confusion.

This ETS Rescue web site has some really good pictures that show the difference in the physical characteristics.

http://www.englishtoyspanielrescue.org/

I was confused about the difference in the names CKCS and KCS too when I first started being interested in cavaliers years ago. The King Charles Spaniels (or ETS) are pretty rare here in America too.

It doesn't help that KCs are now fairly rare and so most people in the UK and Ireland mean a CKCS when they say a King Charles -- it drives me absolutely crazy. In the US KCs are known as English Toy Spaniels so there isn't really the same level of confusion.

You should try doing charlie rescue , that would drive you crazy ,lol The amount of times we've gone to get a king charles with a definate pug nose & come back with a cavalier with the longest nose you've ever seen,lol

& everyone insists they have a charlie at home

I did a home check for Many Tears, on Wednesday (border terrier) and took Joly along. The lady, her daughter and grandaughter were all over Joly and vice versa, but her husband said King Charles didn't appeal to him and stayed aloof. (You of course, know that Joly is a cavalier).

Last edited:
The word "Cavalier" was first used do differentiate the "original" type of spaniel from the King Charles type when the breed first gained seperate Kennel Club Registration back in 1945!

The number of enquiries I get for "King Charles Spaniels", "Charlie Dogs" and even "King Charles Cavaliers" :blabla: I once spent almost 20 minutes talking to a lady on the phone about Cavaliers before it became apparant that she wasn't actually after a Blenheim Cavalier Bitch Puppy, but a Black and Tan King Charles :sl*p:

I much prefer the U.S name of English Toy makes life a whole lot less confusing!!:rolleyes:

Back