• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Colour Characteristics

Tobietots

I just wanted to know your thoughts on the different characteristics between the four colours of Cavaliers. I have been told they vary, is this true? Look foward to hearing your comments! :dogwlk:

In what way do you mean? Generally I have in general found little difference between Blenheims and Tri-Colours but have only recently bred/owned Whole-Colours and would certainly say that the biggest/loudest trouble maker is my Ruby the little git!! :lol:

I have all the colours except tri and they are all lovely but different. My blenheim is totally nutty and behaves like a mad springer but obedient. One b/tan is very quiet and a thoughtful little chap. Th other b/tan is very cuddly a P.A.T dog but a food thief. Th ruby girl is adorable so sweet and the ultimate velcro dog.

I personally think the colour of the dog is irrelevant in relation to their temprament

There are definitely no personality characteristics that go by colour. I've had about 60 cavaliers through rescue and all are individuals. I own two tris and two blenheims and they are all different. I have a feisty blenheim and a sweet and quiet blenheim. I have a scruffy little in your face tri and a sweet and gentle and quiet tri. I have met outgoing rubies but two of the most laid back cavaliers II know are rubies. There's definitely a cavalier personality but no colour personalities! I've never heard a breeder say they think there are colour personalities, and they would know best. :lol:

Well, I think blenheims are the funniest! :).

Oh and I have a velcro Ruby girlie too :), but she has a big mouth!

It's so funny to hear of a b/t being a laid back dog! :lol: Faith tears around EVERYWHERE and she is the biggest troublemaker of our two by FAR. Kosmo is my laid back pretty lazy therapy dog :dogwlk:

My Tri boy was the biggest mischief bless his soul. My bleniem girl is very laid back but I must say my B/T girl is soooo laid back and my velcro girl:)

I'm another in the placid BT/nuts ruby camp! They're both velcro pups, but in different ways.

Each of mine (blen, tri, b&t) are unique individuals, as are each one of the many cavaliers I've met. :) There is no color personality. :)

My Blehemian is a very sweet girl and ver social. I baby-sit often and have taken her a couple times and she is just so polite in other people's homes. I think she listens to me better in strange houses than our own!

My tri color is the mischief maker. I never realized how good Lucky (the blehemian) was until we got Brett (the tri). He eats underwear, chews electrical cords and is a garbage dumper and picker :( He really keeps me on my toes! He's also pretty shy around new people.

He eats underwear, chews electrical cords and is a garbage dumper and picker

:yikes :yikes

You will need to make it impossible for him to do these things or he will not be likely to live very long. I know a cavalier puppy that died by biting down on an electric cord. Eating cloth items like underwear and socks are a common source of intestinal blockage that can kill a dog in hours. And there are lots of pretty risky things in trash, including leftovers which are poisonous to dogs thouugh safe to humans, plasic bags that can entwine around the gut and kill, same for string, cooked bones that will pierce gut or stomach -- these are really, really serious risks.

Fortunately you can easily get most of what you need to solve this problem t any hardware store. I dog proofed my house when I had puppies that were interested in things like electrical cords the same way you child proof -- fasten down the cords with those u-brackets so they lie flush to the wall, put spaghetti tangles like computer cords and cables into cord protectors., close doors to all rooms where kids toys, clothing or other dangerous chewables are located, use baby gates to block off rooms as needed, confine the dog when you are out, make sure the adults never leave a single thing on the floor (just think 'toddler' or 'crawling baby'). You can buy trash cans with tight fitting lids. Then you will feel a lot less anxious and your cavalier will not be at such risk. (y)

Faith tears around EVERYWHERE and she is the biggest troublemaker of our two by FAR

Ahhh...but that has nothing to do with color....that's just our special Faithey!! ;)

Two tris and two very different personalities....thank goodness...if they were both as needy and demanding as Jake I don't know what I'd do!! But obviously his little terror personality wasn't enough of a problem to stop me from getting another tri :)

LOL cathy ~ are you sure it's not color? I knew I was in trouble as soon as I met her and she started biting my HAIR and playing tug of war :eek: She also whines to every passer-by on the street if they don't pet her she starts crying like her feelings are hurt :rolleyes: How embarassing. I've had to start "training sessions" with her when I see other people to keep her distracted . . :lol: Boy I can't wait until it stops snowing so often so she can go back to boot camp! :lol:

And somehow Cathy, I think if I had Faith first, I would still have ended up with Kosmo :eek: There's something about having 2 I just could never shake.. Avi told me tonight that "we should get a third" :eek: Yikes.. I think I'm just about as likely as you are ;) But Faith and Jake would probably keep each other occupied, huh ? ;) And somehow I can imagine Kosmo and Shelby sharing a bed, just not touching because both of them are too big of snots to be cuddlers with anybody but their humans LOL :lol: What do you think? ;)

Hmm, lovely reading all these little stories about your dogs! I have Blenheims who are so laid back they are on another planet entirely, whilst others are right up there in your face, same can be said of my Tri-Colours too, although my parents Tri boy Jake is so funny, he's right there for fuss when I go into their house, shoves the others out of the way to be first one there, but once he's had his fuss he's so aloof it's hilarious, to the point of slinking off for alone time in his bed!! His Mum (I bred him) is one of my totally laid back Blenheims, yet his younger half sisters are all in your face Blenheims!

At the end of the day they are all their own unique little person no matter what colour the jacket they are wearing, I adore them all!! :luv: :luv:

We have all 4 colors here with 15 dogs and in my experience it's impossible to catagorize temperament by color. As an example, our "wild child" is a blenheim, with our calmest being a toss-up between a ruby and a tri. And we have everything in between with no difference in color. Even breeders debate this. In fact there is a term we hear once in a while called "Naughty Ruby"; mostly when they misbehave in the ring. But we have seen all 4 colors misbehave in the ring; I think it's just kind of a fun term that someone came up with.

LuckysMommy: I too have had trouble in the past with puppies chewing on electrical cords. That's REALLY scary. We don't seem to have the problem with the adults. We have pretty much done what Karlin has suggested. In addition, we changed out every electrical outlet that we use with a GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter). It's still no substitute for making cords inaccessible, just kind of a belt and suspenders thing. I am able to install them myself, so it only cost maybe $8 per outlet. There is a new type of outlet available now that even safer than the old standby GFCI, but I can't remember what it's called right now. Anyway, I'm probably going to switch everything to that type one of these days. As for eating underware, socks, etc., what we always tell our puppy people: If your dogs chews something up, it's not the dogs fault, it's your fault! We really don't mean to pick on you, just expressing concern and solutions to make your baby safe.

Well , in our household it sure is the tri that has the stronger personality !
Elja my ruby is a real softie,never naugthy and very much a mummysgirl. Silva my little trigirl is the mischievious ,playfull and loud one. She is however slowly turning into being some kind of lapdog but 10 minutes will do for her,then she is upp for more mischief again:D

Tri & B/T

Our tri girl is sweet, calm, submissive, and I would love to clone her. Our B/T male is high-energy (bordering on hyper) & curious, dominant, and demands all the attention. However, he is such a lover and a cuddler that it makes up for all of his other character quirks.

Every dog is a little different...I think the one thing ALL Cavs have in common is their intense love for their people and it is that love that keeps us all coming back for more. cavtiny

I have read this thread with interest. We have had 2 blenheims both different but both adorable and loving. Very clever and obedient but with their own differing personalities. Never a moments trouble, either of them. When our last one died we couldnt bear the thought of another blenheim as we felt we would be comparing our new pup all the time and so decided on a tri! OMG!! Whilst he is beautiful to look at and as a pup was a picture book dog- he is a total nutter! He was a biter and nibbled everything with his sharp little teeth. He grew out of that fortunately but has OCD when it comes to going out- he cant bear closed doors and barks constantly to be let out- only to bark to be let back in again. We felt sure it must be because he is a tri but now it looks like he's just himself- completely bonkers!

What a great thread this is. Im very jealous of everyone with more than one Cav! Makes me broody! :eek:

Well my little ruby girl is very lady-like when round others, but when we are enjoying the countryside on our long walks, she loves nothing more than getting into all the puddles and getting as muddy as she can! :rolleyes:

She is a little shy, but very excitable and, like most cavs, is my permanent shadow!! :D

Back