• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Going For Car Rides

Mom of Jato

My pup Jato is almost 4 months old, and I was wondering how to take him along in the car safely. He has outgrown the little carrier I used when I first brought him home. We are starting Puppy classes soon, so I need to know fairly quickly. Thanks!

A harness is OK but most breeders who transport regularly (including those who have been in accidents with the dogs!) say a hard plastic crate or sturdy wire crate, only just larger than the dog so it cannot be thrown around, is the best option -- and put the seatbelt through the top so it is firmly on the back seat (never the front -- an airbag will kill a cavalier).

It's a good idea to write in permanent marker, the dog's name, your address and phone number,and your vet's number; also any medications the dog is on.

Many emergency services are apparently under orders not to try and retrieve an uncrated dog from a car wreck; a breeder on one list was in a small accident and talked to the police officer who attended who explained this.

We use a Vari-Kennel (hard plastic crate) #200, and place it in the back seat turned sideways toward the opposite door, and firmly seat belt it in through the handles. I put cushy blankets, a favorite toy, and bring a little biscuit treat along to get started. She LOVES to ride in there, gets a treat for her trouble then settles in to sleep while we tour around. I have an identical crate that she naps and sleeps in, kept in the house. It is really the safest method of transport for your pup and for you.

I used to work as a police dispatcher, and my husb is a police lieutenant, and we saw many serious, even fatal accidents caused by dogs jumping around loose in cars. We have also seen dogs thrown from cars and dogs actually suffering broken bones and friction burns from harness and lead tethers, so be very careful. Also, be very wary of airbags, as they can kill on impact, so never seat your dog in a harness in the front seat. Don't mean to sound like a worry wart, and many have been very happy using the doggie carseats and harnesses, but just be aware of all this so you can make a safe informed decision! (y)

Back