• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

cavs and guinea pigs

gloucester girl

I wonder if anyone has any ideas.
Frankie, 10 years (Blenheim), came to live with us about a fortnight ago as his loving owner couldn't take him with him to live in a nursing home. Frankie is well mannered, obedient, cuddly and absolutely gorgeous. Yesterday I introduced him to our guinea pigs. Our gentle darling has gone berserk!! He's obviously not used to small animals. He keeps barking at the hutch in the garden, jumping up and trying to get in. It's not a massive problem, I don't think, but I'm a little worried because when he's in this crazy mood he doesn't listen at all. What might happen when we eventually let him off the lead when out walking and he gets scent of something small and furry. Is there anything we can do, or is it too late for that?
:paw:Thank you, Susanne & Frankie, the pig hunter :paw::dogwlk:

i think the general advice is to never let a cavalier off a lead unless you're in the wilderness. let the more experienced owners/breeders give you the real information though.

Daisy would go nuts over them, too. She actually killed a baby rabbit in our yard once! Aack!

She has a very strong prey drive and this is just the type of animal that would set it in motion. There probably is a way to desensitize him to them, but it would be risky.

Good luck -- sorry I don't have advice, just commiseration!

only one of my cavs are allowed anywere near my 3 g-pigs n he loves them, he licks them all over if they squek and lies next to the run when they are in it.

we had to introduce them carefully though

so just be careful and paitent lol

I never had small pets alongside a dog, but I would think that unless the dogs was raised with small animals it would probably be quite risky to subject them to each other's company.... especially at such an age.
I certainly would not be lettin him off-leash. You've only had him a little while, so you won't know how he is likely to react. He also would not be bonded to you in the same way as if you'd had him all these 10 years.

My guys are now pretty obedient & their recall is quite excellent. However I would never allow them off leash in an area with cars, other dangers, or the possiblity of other animals catching their attention.
It just isn't worth the risk.

Thank you

Thank you everybody, all your comments were very helpful!
So, I probably won't be able to let Frankie off the leash. As long as he gets enough exercise it should be ok, shouldn't it? I have noticed, he'll trundle onto the road if not kept on short lead....
The other day I took him "wunning" (walking & running, as I'm not fit enough yet to run the whole way...) for about 4 1/2 miles. He really enjoyed the running but after about 4 miles he looked at me as if to say "What are you doing to me? I'm old and small, you know!"
As for our guinea-pigs, they're in an enclosed run and hutch (with lid!!). Hopefully, with time, Frankie will stop being quite so excited about them.
Thanks again! I really appreciate the support you're all giving! Susanne & Frankie :paw:x:paw:x

Hi!

Cavaliers are still Spaniels at the end of the day and they are VERY attracted to Rabbits, guinea Pigs etc naturally! You should see me trying to avoid pet rabbits when we go to the vets! At this early stage I would make all encounters with the Guinea Pigs supervised one's!!

Well Done for giving this elder statesman a loving new home by the way! :luv: (y)

I've got 3 guineas, the dogs put their noses to the cage and the guineas come up and have a good sniff they aren't worried by the dogs at all, but i wouldn't take the risk of letting them near either of the dogs - i think it would all end very horribly:(

Back