• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Constantly smelling of Urine

Adaph

Hi, just looking for a bit of advice.
Darcy is nearly 9 months now, for the last couple of months he has been mastering the art of cocking his leg.
However, since doing that, he constantly is smelling of Urine.
Whether he just doesn't lift his leg high enough, I am not sure. I have put it down to him being a male, and we know that the human versions aren't the best at aiming so figured maybe it was the same for the hairy variety!

The trouble is he is SO affectionate and just wants to be on our laps in the evening, but then we end up stinking as well.

I bath him, but then the next day he can be smelly again, I don't want to overbath him!

I haev only ever had female dogs in the past, so don't know if this is a common thing with males.

Any ideas, greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

If he hasn't been neutered, his urine will be especially stinky and it will start to get smelly a right around this age as his hormones have kicked in -- hence this may be why you are suddenly noticing the smell.

Boys often get their belly and leg feathering while peeing -- but then, girls tend to squat and drag their tail or back leg feathering in their urine too so IMHO they are as likely to have urine on them as boys -- smell tends to be less noticeable I think, but both my girls have a urine whiff off their hind legs if they are not rinsed every few days. Most people tend not to be sniffing hind legs closely though!

You don't need to totally wash the dog; generally just rinsing the legs and belly with warm clear water is enough. If needed maybe use small bit of shampoo on legs and belly but I would definitely not be washing the dog entirely every few days -- very hard on skin and coat.

Neutering will help the smell issue considerably.

This is an an excellent article all about marking, why dogs (male and female) do it and how they 'use' urine, and training:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=2284&S=1

Thanks Karlin (y)

He hasn't been neutered yet, it is something we are going to do at some point soon, so hopefully that will help then.
I guess with the bitches I've had in the past, they have been Golden Retrievers so haven't had them on my lap like Darcy tends to, so probably didn't notice!

I don't give him total baths very often at all, so will just keep going with the tummy wash.

Amanda

girls tend to squat and drag their tail or back leg feathering in their urine too

That's the problem I have with Shelby. I don't have a urine smell odor with Jake but Shelby...stinky big time. I've started to use a waterless spray on bath with her. I spray it on, rub it in and then towel it off. Seems to be working and I do need to do it every couple of days.

Lily really gets smelly, Lucy a bit, Leo a lot, and Jaspar, never. He is Mister Precision. Leg goes way up, always careful, never pees on himself. :p I try to regularly get them all over to where they run around in a creek -- gets all the smell off them. :lol:

My boys get really stinky too, oh except Sam the Boxer, who always smells like a freshy baked biscuit. I could eat him :)

I give the undercarriage of my Cavaliers a wipe over with unscented baby wipes once a day. That helps to remove the urine smell. I still need to bathe them every fortnight though as they still get a strong doggy smell. I am hoping that may settle down now that they have been neutered.

Oakley was quite stinking - he lifts his leg sooooooooo high he pees on himself. However since I chopped the little hair spout fron the top of his winky - it no longer carries on dripping down his legs and seems to aim better :)

Merlin of course would never pee on himself, he's too posh for that:rolleyes:

i have all girls and have never smelt urine before until we closed the grass section of the garden off and they had to pee on the concrete .....they really stank i put it down tp pee'ing then walking in it rather than soaking in the grass

Hence we took the panel down i would rather have a muddy floor than pee smells :)

Back