PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight collars

Claire L
19th March 2008, 09:31 PM
I'm looking for very light collars for the girlies. I've bought a few different kinds from various sites but I feel that they are too heavy for them to wear 24/7 so can anyone recommend a good place to get some nice collars please??

arasara
19th March 2008, 09:35 PM
I don't know how "lightweight" these are, but have you tried the douglas paquette collars? I've found them to be VERY well made :flwr:

Claire L
19th March 2008, 09:42 PM
Hi Sara :hug:
I haven't tried them but I will check them out - thanks.
What size do you get for Kosmo and Faithey? I was thinking that maybe I'm buying too big a size and that's why they are heavy. I think I get the 14" size (not too sure, I'll have to double check)

arasara
19th March 2008, 09:45 PM
I know Roxanne has them on sale right now until tomorrow but I get the small size that is ok for necks of dogs that are 10-14" :)

shan
19th March 2008, 09:46 PM
have you tried a rolled leather one i got a lovely one for molly from hubb international in the uk mines pink but they have black blue white and red they are really light and because they are rolled they do not damage the neck hair hope this helps

Cathryn
19th March 2008, 09:50 PM
As I have more than average dogs :o I don't leave collars on any of mine as the risks are so high, but I do recommend the rolled leather collars from Hub too!! Very nice quality indeed and available in a nice range of colours too!!

Claire L
19th March 2008, 10:08 PM
As I have more than average dogs :o I don't leave collars on any of mine as the risks are so high, but I do recommend the rolled leather collars from Hub too!! Very nice quality indeed and available in a nice range of colours too!!

Normally, I wouldn't leave collars on mine at all. They usually have their tags attached to whatever harness they are going to wear when they are going out. Lately, so many people are saying that they should have a collar and tag on all the time just in case something happens :eek:

Claire L
19th March 2008, 10:22 PM
I know Roxanne has them on sale right now until tomorrow but I get the small size that is ok for necks of dogs that are 10-14" :)

I just ordered two new collars from Douglas Paquette. Roxanne didn't have the ones that I wanted :( .... maybe next time.

:thnku:

Justine
19th March 2008, 10:48 PM
I only used a collar when he was a pup,but i found cat collars are great.They are light and some have bells,so you know were they are.

Cathryn
19th March 2008, 10:59 PM
I only used a collar when he was a pup,but i found cat collars are great.They are light and some have bells,so you know were they are.

I use cat collars on my small pups too, esp the one's with bells, but can get a bit annoying when they are all coming at you from different directions all at once! :lol:

amanda L
24th March 2008, 01:34 PM
I use Douglas Paquette collars too, they are so soft and as Sara says very well made :). I get the size in small aswell, they are gorgeous soft and comfy collars for small doggies.

Which colours did you order for Kosmo and Faithey, Sara? and which for your girlies Claire ?

I got brown for my Elliot and pink for Millie :rolleyes::paw:

Claire L
25th March 2008, 04:27 PM
I ordered Gingham Pink/Green and Tartan Pink. I really liked the pink dots collar but they don't do it in the small size :(

Can't wait to get them!

How much did delivery cost you Amanda?
When I purchased online my invoice just says that shipping costs will be added to my bill :eek: hope it wont be astronomical1

niki
25th March 2008, 04:52 PM
Thats a bit cheeky isn't it adding the shipping costs after you've agreed to pay;) hope they arent too high!!

I leave mine in collars all the time just in case - and both wear leather, going to have a look at the ones you've just bought, they sound lovely

Karlin
25th March 2008, 05:51 PM
In Ireland and the UK it is actually the law that you MUST have a collar and tags on your dog anytime they go outside (tags on a harness would be fine too -- except dogs sometimes slip their harness, in which case you have absolutely no ID on your dog as it vanishes down the street).

Sobering note: almost 100% of dogs collected off the street by dog wardens have NO collar, NO ID. Of these, up to 95% will die in some pounds because there's no way to trace the owner who presumably thinks the dog will show up eventually. That's a lot of sadness all for the want of a collar and tag. Most dogs in the pound come in well cared for and are obviously someone's pet. If stolen and dumped, or roaming, the dog may go to a pound so far away from your home you never know to look there. A collar and tags should always be on a dog when it goes out any door. :thmbsup:.

I use lightweight mesh collars with those snap buckles. They are available everywhere and are inexpensive to pricy depending on brand and fabric. I get the inexpensive ones from Petedge.com and give these away with my rescue dogs (I still like them better than any other collar I've tried for my own dogs). I don't think any collar of any type that fits a cavalier will be too heavy though.

I use these:
http://trainingandcontrol.petedge.com/Guardian-Gear-Nylon-Adjustable-Collars-TP811.pro?parentCategoryId=196&categoryId=305&subCategoryId=315

I am very cautiouswith cat collars now. I don;t use the ones that have no eyelets and you just poke the clasp thru the mesh of the collar. One of my cats somehow tightened one of those and I found her literally choking to death. The way they are designed I had to tighten it FURTHER to get it to release!! :eek::eek: I was lucky to be home and also to have no music/radio on so I heard her gasping. That was definitely one of her 9 lives gone (2 actually as she once escaped the house for two weeks -- and was returned thanks to her (different style!) collar and tags...).

amanda L
26th March 2008, 01:08 PM
How much did delivery cost you Amanda?
When I purchased online my invoice just says that shipping costs will be added to my bill :eek: hope it wont be astronomical1

Claire, I think mine was somewhere between 14 and 16 euro, but I ordered some petsilk shampoo and silk conditioner aswell, which added to my shipping costs!! :rolleyes::paw:

arasara
26th March 2008, 11:04 PM
I have quite a few different DP patterns. I have the dog motif in maroon, the darker blue sailboats, the gingham blue, surf woodie, and most recently the beige walk the dogs for Kosmo and for Faith she also has surf woodie (I got them in a set for xmas from donna! :) ), aqua walk the dogs, pink gingham and most recently I just got her the butterfly set because it was too cute to pass up! I just love it!

http://xd2.xanga.com/ebdc40e502234157679737/s118304858.jpg

What patterns do you have Amanda L? :)

And Claire, next time you are ordering, if Roxanne doesn't have what you want, ask her if she is making a douglas paquette order soon and if so, if she would mind ordering something that's not on her site :) She generally does, especially when she has sales because she sells a lot of DP. I got her to order me the walk the dogs which isn't on her site :flwr:

I'm sure you won't be disappointed :flwr:

Claire L
27th March 2008, 11:57 AM
And Claire, next time you are ordering, if Roxanne doesn't have what you want, ask her if she is making a douglas paquette order soon and if so, if she would mind ordering something that's not on her site :) She generally does, especially when she has sales because she sells a lot of DP. I got her to order me the walk the dogs which isn't on her site :flwr:

I'm sure you won't be disappointed :flwr:
I never thought of that Sara :sl*p: D P charged me $19 for shipping :eek:
Roxanne only ever charges me $8 for small items.
Live and learn eh!
:flwr:

Lisa_T
27th March 2008, 12:51 PM
Amber wears her collar most of the time as it doesn't bother her, but I notice Holly scratches more when she wears a collar, plus she has a funny neck shape which means collars don't really sit right on her! :lol: So I always have her collar in my bag ready for putting on. Which reminds me, I must remember to replace the license tags.

amanda L
27th March 2008, 04:34 PM
Hi Sara :), Ive got a few different patterns aswell, but my favs are brown tartan, brown dog motif, pink gingham and I just couldn't resist the pink dragonflies collar, just so cute. :rolleyes::paw: