• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Housetraining help

Babs made her first outside potty last nite :rah: But I am still having problems with her peeing in the house. Her signs for defication are easy to recognize and she almost has a perfect scheduele of when she defecates but when she pees there is never any warning. I leave water out for her all the time so I never know for sure when the time is that she has to pee. Also even in the house she doesnt go in the same places, and I always clean it with an enzhymatic cleaner so she cant smell it again.

Would it be insane to litter box train her. Its freezing here in WA and she hates it outside. My husband thinks its the dumest thing ever but I think its a better option for both of us.

Thanks in advance!! :luv:

Buy immediately: Shirlee Kalstone, How to Housetrain Ypour Puppy in Seven Days.

This does also offer advice for litter training -- but I'd really advise against it or you will always be cleaning litter boxes even when she is an adult making adult sized messes that really smell. :eek:

Are you crate training? You want her always on a lap, asleep, within arm's reach or in a crate so that she never has the opportunity to pee. Outside too immediately after meals, naps and playtimes. Praise and treat for the correct behaviour, never scold her accidents (which are always OUR accidents for not paying enough attention! :lol:).

I don't know if this will help you but when we were potty training puppies I always set the timer on the microwave and took them out when it rang. It was busy but they trained well and I had few accidents-plus it gives you a lot of bonding time :). As the pups grew I lengthened the time for them.

Along with the great advice given already. Take treats with you when you announce the "time to go potty" routine as an added incentive. I have sleigh bells on the door which I ring with the phrase. This will give the pup association with the time you want them to go.

Back