• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

heavy panting at night

ashbat

Hi all. My cav, Chance, is 11 1/2 and has had a heart murmur since age 5. Just recently we had to put him on mvd drugs b/c he started coughing and panting. X-rays show an enlarged heart but no fluid in lungs. His heart is so large it is pressing up against the trachia. He is on lasix, enalopril, and vetmedin. He is getting another ultrasound on Tues. Last night he was panting very heavily and would not lay his head down. I think nights are the worst for him. Anyone else experience the extremely heavy panting? Of the meds he is on, what helps this? We are working on tweaking the doses but seeing him like this is killing me. I do not want him to be in pain. Any advice is appreciated.

Ashley

vetmedin

should this be given on an empty stomach? My vet did not tell me this. How soon after I give it to him can I feed him?

I will try to research the Vetmedin, in case someone who knows the answer doesn't read your post right away. I have 2 cavs with murmurs, but they haven't needed heart meds yet.

So sorry your boy is having a rough time. :(

Thanks Cathy. My vet did not mention anything about empty stomach but I thought I read it on this site somewhere. Glad I asked! I definitely want to give it to him under the best possible circumstances so I know if it is effective or not. I feel like we have been lucky so far with his heart b/c he's had the murmur for so long now but always been a healthy dog. This is all happening too fast and while I knew it was going to happen, it doesn't make it any easier. I thought I had prepared myself for this...he's lived a long great life...but I'm just not ready to lose him! And yet I don't want him to suffer. During the day he seems ok, sleeps a lot, but at night he has gotten really bad. He coughs some and pants all night. He won't lay his head down and by morning he is so stiff he can hardly walk. Cavs are the most wonderful dogs and I love mine to pieces!!! How old are your two?

Chocolate will be 6 years old this week, and she has a grade 1 murmur. Geordie is 4.5 years old and has a grade 3 murmur. The cardiologist plans to put Geordie on ACE inhibitor medication if they see any changes at his next appointment.

I understand how difficult it is for you right now, as I recently had to have my 2 year old rescue cavalier PTS. Charlie was suffering from SM, so we had to give him his wings. I'm just relieved he isn't suffering any more.

Back