• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

showing

shan

just wondering can a neutered female still be shown and where is the best place to start if you where interested in getting involved in that area with your puppy cavtiny

A neutered female cannot be shown in conformation at club level but can be shown in the fun shows (and these are a good place to start anyway! :) ) and also can compete in other aspects of the show world -- agility, obedience, etc. So there's lots you can do.

All depends on the reason for the spay. Whitney had a pio and I wrote to the Kennel club last year to explain why she had the spay asking if I could still show her. The spay was on medical grounds and couldn't be helped. Her previous owner/breeder showed her to a high level where she was a little winner :)
I can still show her if I wish, not just at fun shows either, but we love the agility so we just stick at that!

Alison.

I was wondering the same thing. I have a 5 month old pup and was thinking bout getting him neutered while he is still young but i think i would like to show him.

If you neuter you will not be able to show in non fun shows unless as Alison says above its because its for medical reasons

In the AKC, you can't show in normal conformation classes if the cavalier isn't intact. In the CKCSC, USA, you can show a desexed cavalier.

A neutered male is a definate no-no, however with bitches it's a different ball game altogether!

If the bitch has had one litter of pups and is then spayed she can continue to be shown, if however she hasn't had a litter and the spay is done for health reasons, I.E Pyometra (a life threatening condition) and the operation is reported to the kennel club by the vet (In both scenario's) then she CAN continue to be shown. That's the UK Kennel Club's view on it anyway.
I believe, and I'm sure Sandy or Bruce will correct me if I am wrong here, but I believe a Top Winning U.S Bitch was spayed owing to Pyometra and went on to win Top Bitch in Breed at the illustrious Westminster Dog Show? (The U.S equivalent of Crufts!)

So I guess the answer is... it depends! :lol: On location, and which club.

For anyone thinking about showing -- for almost all reputable US breeders and for many reputable UK breeders, your homing contract for a pet cavalier will almost certainly have specified a spay or neuter by age 1 or so maximum and the dog will be on restricted registration. It is very rare for a cavalier sold as a pet in the US, Canada or UK to be of club-level show quality-- otherwise the breeder would have retained the dog within his/her own breeding program, for showing, or sold the dog as a show dog but generally never to a pet owner -- those who buy show quality dogs are carefully screened or the dog is co-owned precisely because the dog has to remain intact for showing and thus, can be bred. Show breeders generally tightly control who can breed dogs of their breeding for overall breed health and welfare reasons amongst others! Good breeders spend a lot of time choosing and matching pedigrees for best health -- to allow someone to breed indiscriminately would undo all that hard and conscientious work. (y) If the dog was sold by a breeder who didn't place any restrictions on what you do with the dog, especially in N. America, it is extremely unlikely to be show quality as the breeder is unlikely to have any show quality breeding dogs (despite what she might have said!).

So realistically, a cavalier sold as a pet isn't going to do much in the show ring. I know we all know our dogs are beautiful :) -- and they all are for many reasons -- but are very unlikely to have the excellent balance of looks and temperament that go into a show dog. If anyone thinks theirs might, it would be worth getting involved with your local or regional club, get to some club events, and star to learn what makes a show quality cavalier. Then once you get to know some club members, ask a friendly person if they would be willing to evaluate your cavalier and offer an honest opinion. The show world like any competitive arena can be very crushing and cruel and it is better to spare oneself some unnecessary embarrassment and awkwardness by entering a cavalier way off show standard and perhaps being made to feel foolish. That's IMHO but I have been around the fringes of the show crowd enough to know showing isn't for the faint of heart nor the thin-skinned and it is better to take the time to do your breed homework well in advance of ever entering a ring.

The fun shows give many people the chance to enjoy themselves, not feel pressured, learn some show handling techniques and see if this is a real interest or not, and can open the door to getting involved more seriously at club level. :)

Knowing what makes a good show dog and a beautiful cavalier in show terms takes a long time and generally, you'll need to spend time with a mentor and really study the dogs at the serious shows, having someone explain their qualities and strengths. It has taken me several years to begin to get a good sense of what is valued and I still wouldn;t have any idea why one dog would win over another. But i also have learned enough and observed enough to know that, of the 60-ish or more dogs or so I have homed through rescue, not one would have been close to show quality. Wonderful, lovely dogs, but not show quality dogs. It is all a fascinating area and well worth learning more for anyone with a real interest in the breed and getting into the show world. :)

Back