• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

travel from England to Ireland

gloucester girl

Does anyone know?
We're planning to go to Connemara via Pembroke to Rosslare ferry. Can I take my cavy with me? What do I need to know/do?
Thank you.

I don't think you need to do anything???? I don't think you need a passport because UK & Eire don't have rabies and thats what you really need a passport for.

Karlin should have more advice as she has moved several dogs around :)

If you have a car I think it's pretty painless. You can either leave the dog in the car, or some liners offer kenneling, I think. When we went Belfast-Stranraer with Holly a couple of years ago she stayed in the car and was perfectly happy. I worried throughout the trip though!! I suppose it depends on how long the crossing is.

You should ring the ferry company to find out their policy. Some ferries want you to make a reservation for the dog though there's no charge. You need a transport quality crate to be safe. Usually you leave the dog in the car on the lower decks or in some places, there are kennels or an area where you can leave the crated dog but i is down in the hold. You are not allowed to bring the dog up onto the deck or the passenger areas. It is advisable to bring your dog's vax card as you can be asked to prove the dog is vaccinated. The people I know who regularly do transport always require vax cards for the dog.

Make sure your dog is microchipped and has a collar and tags. (y)

Well actually we collected our pup in Scotland, and took our older dog over with us. We went with Irish Ferries (Belfast - Stranraer), as far as I remember, and it was totally painless. Tandie was in a covered crate with a pigs ear in the back of the car on a lower deck while we went up for some lunch. It didn't appear to bother her, and I loved having her with us. We had no problem on the way back with herself and new pup. it's a lovely way to travel actually.
I don't think she cost any extra, but I did have to ring up and just let them know... I don't remember it being any trouble. And you don't need pet passports or anything between Britain and Ireland.

Back