• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Smelly ears

mnm

What is the best product to clean my Cavalier's ears? They smell and he is shaking his head plus scratching a little. I need something real easy. I am a senior citizen and need something simple but effective.

he might need a trip to the vets to rule out and ear infection or ear mites. i dont think the ears are meant to be too smelly and if he's scratching at them and shaking his head he's obviously uncomfortable
I usually clean my dogs ears with a cotton wool wipe dampened in warm water - i've also been advised to use a little olive oil in the same way definately NO cotton buds

Would advise a trip to your vet personnally, smelly ears usually indicate infection, better to err on the side of caution IMHO.

I use a liquid cleaner that's a drying agent once a week on mine, and :)xfngr:) they've been fine. You put the liquid in each ear and then put a cotton ball over the ear opening, and gently swab the ear. They don't really like it, but it's quick and not too much work. I'll try to remember to look at the bottle I have at home and I'll tell you what brand it is.

I would buy a clear liquid if possible though; the last brand I bought was a bright lavendar color (because of the gentian violet - I think that's the drying agent), and it spilled on our brand new light colored bamboo wood floors and stained them purple! :eek: The color had to be sanded out of the floor...

We use ear wipes that have chlorohexidine on. They seem really good and kill any bacteria. I also take sally to the groomer who thins the hair underneath her ear to help it breathe to prevent infection. I would only let the groomer do this because if it's not done properly you'd run the risk of hair falling in the ear canal which you definitely don't want.

He definitely needs a trip to the vet, then you can talk to the vet about something good to use for ear cleaning, too. :) I have some basic cleaner solution from the vets to use.

But if your pup's ears are smelly and he's shaking and scratching, this is definitely either an ear infection or ear mites. These MUST be treated by the vet, or can become very bad. (y)

He definitely needs a trip to the vet, then you can talk to the vet about something good to use for ear cleaning, too. :) I have some basic cleaner solution from the vets to use.

But if your pup's ears are smelly and he's shaking and scratching, this is definitely either an ear infection or ear mites. These MUST be treated by the vet, or can become very bad. (y)
I hope that you can answer this. Is there a brand name for the ear cleaner?

I use a liquid cleaner that's a drying agent once a week on mine, and :)xfngr:) they've been fine. You put the liquid in each ear and then put a cotton ball over the ear opening, and gently swab the ear. They don't really like it, but it's quick and not too much work. I'll try to remember to look at the bottle I have at home and I'll tell you what brand it is.

I would buy a clear liquid if possible though; the last brand I bought was a bright lavendar color (because of the gentian violet - I think that's the drying agent), and it spilled on our brand new light colored bamboo wood floors and stained them purple! :eek: The color had to be sanded out of the floor...
If possible, could you tell me the brand name of the ear cleaner?

Your vet can provide good ear cleaning solutions, after the ear infection has been treated. First the infection must be treated.:flwr:

Def.take to the vets.Alfs had a major ear mite and infection it took a long time to heal.His ears were smelly thats how i noticed it.

I too think a trip to the vet is needed...when you get the problem sorted then ask about ear cleaning solutions..I am sure your vet will be able to advise you. Hope it all goes well..let us know how you get on.

Just to reiterate: ears don't smell and itch when the issue is only cleaning them. Using ear cleaners instead of medication, on either an ear infection or ear mites, will make the problem worse. Please see a vet first and they will recommend a range of ear cleaners after you deal with the medical problem. I cannot state this strongly enough. Head shaking means your pup is already very uncomfortable and likely feeling some pain.

Back