• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Licking??

estelle

Why do dogs lick?? Is it an affection thing?? My Charlie hardly ever licks but Bailey on the other hand well you'd think that you were smothered in treats!!!

Armani doesn't lick (kiss) me hardly at all. He was 6 months old when we got him so his breeder taught him not to. :( I wish he would give kisses! :luv:
Tracer will lick my hubby when he first sits in the chair with him. I think more since he probably has food on his face! Tracer doesn't sit on my lap very often so he also doesn't give me much for kisses.
I'm trying to train them to give kisses when asked. I suppose I would have more luck by putting p-nut butter on my face then ask for kisses! :D

I think these dogs are a licky breed, but that can be managed. I didn't really mind it much at all, but when Dottie does choose to lick, I now distract her or move her head away from what she is licking, tell her "No Kisses!" and she stops. I guess it can develop into an OCD thing. I hope to get her into assisted therapy training down the line and alot of licking can keep a therapy dog in training from passing their tests! This is a big no no, especially when visiting hospitals, sick children and nursing homes.

Is it true that there are 2 types of cav's....the lickers & the cuddlers and that they'll either do 1 or the other but not both??
Charlie is certainly my cuddler and like I said never licks me, while Bailey is the opposite licks me like mad but isn't really cuddly! Gotta say I do prefer the cuddles!!

Its interesting how HBMama said
"I guess it can develop into an OCD thing"
Ginger seems quite OBSESSED when she is licking her dad when he comes home from work, or in the morning, or pretty much anytime shes in the mood. She doesnt lick me like that, as Ive never much liked it and always moved my face. She will still give me kisses though when I ask.
But to see the two of them! She puts her paws on his shoulder while he's sitting down, you'd think he was an ice pop on a hot day!

She puts her paws on his shoulder while he's sitting down, you'd think he was an ice pop on a hot day!

Yep, that sounds like my two with hubby! You would think he has food slathered all over his face and espicially behind his ears!
Armani is a cuddler with me, which is exactly how I like it!:luv::luv::luv:

Back