• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

microchipping

Harry & Heidi's mom

had heidi microchipped today and i feel awful

She bled loads and squealed like a banshee but in typical cavalier style her tail never stopped wagging.

i'm such a nasty mam, but so relieved it's done and dusted

xx

I know exactly how you feel cos I did too! but hey we do it cos we love em.
Better to be safe than sorry

It hurt's them for a few minutes, then they're as right as rain, plus, whats a few seconds discomfort, for something that may help save your pet?
Microchipping intro by the IKC was a great idea when it was introduced.

:eek: That shouldn't really have happened... never have heard of them bleeding a lot, and it just is a quick pinch though it does startle them. But generally it is a lot easier on a dog to wait to chip when they are neutered as then it can be done while under GA and most people are neutering anyway. Most vets will recommend that approach too.

We microchip all our puppies before they go to their forever homes and in all the puppies we have had done, none have bled. A few have cried a little when the chip was injected, but no worse than any innoculation. For anyone else chipping their dog when they are awake, have the vet put a little topical anesthetic on before inserting the chip.

Hmm....

Having seen your pics of Heidi I am somewhat surprised to hear that she bled!! As a trained Micro-Chipper I can tell you right now that it is the more lightly marked dogs that are inclined to bleed rather than the heavily marked one's! I have yet to chip a dog that bled and believe me I have chipped plenty! YES the needle is big but it is, as Karlin has said, merely a slight pinch and certainly causes less distress than a chilled vaccine being administered!

Main thing is that it is done now, but be sure that your vet checks on the location of the chip when she goes in for her annual booster OK??

The thing that would worry me is, what did the vet hit that would have caused a lot of bleeding? That area should just be loose skin, there's no major blood vessel that should cause bleeding, normally. :confused:

I think the IKC chip programme is a good one too; though I know some breeders don't like chipping very young pups. It has made it possible to track down the owners of some of the dogs coming into the pounds too, through the breeder. Though depressingly, some breeders don't care and don't have records of who took which puppies -- and won't come get one of the dogs of their own breeding from the pound. :( On the other hand, the very low level of breeder-chipped dogs coming into the pound to me indicates that dogs from IKC breeders are not the main problem with the purebreds that come into the pound -- it is primarily backyard bred dogs from non IKC breeders which therefore are not breeder-chipped (all puppies registered with the IKC must be chipped now).

Part of the reason I chip my Irish Cavalier Rescue dogs now is so that if they ever get lost and the new home never transfers the dog to their name, at least the dog will return to me. I would like to see the pounds require reclaimed unchipped dogs to be immediately chipped by the owner as part of the reclaim cost!!

it was the dog warden who chipped her, and he did harry's microchipping as they do it for free, she is fine now but i'llpost a pic of the blood on my top from her, i felt awful xx

here is pic, sorry if it's not ment to be in here

DSC00215.jpg

it was the dog warden who chipped her, and he did harry's microchipping as they do it for free, she is fine now but i'llpost a pic of the blood on my top from her, i felt awful xx

mmm, I was sat near the dog warden at a rescue show while they chipped dogs for free.

we actually rang friends & told them not to come as it was so bad . every dog came away screaming & covered in blood. At least one dog had to be called back after they found its chip on the table !

I do my dogs myself with no problems, only had one bleed & he had skin like an elephant that the needle wouldnt go into.

another thing is I went on the same course as the dog wardens , we only got to chip one dog to get our certificate & in my sisters case she didnt do a dog at all as they ran out but they gave her the certificate anyway!
if you wern't paying attention or didnt reread the guidlines it would be very easy to forget how to do it properly

thats scary,

He done Harry's chipping, and he was fine, and like i say Heidi is and was fine when it was done, i was just shocked she bled as harry didn't.
he scanned her a few times afterwards and the chip hadn't moved, but they are due to go for their kennel cough vaccination so i'll get them to check it again

thats scary

He done Harry's chipping, and he was fine, and like i say Heidi is and was fine when it was done, i was just shocked she bled as harry didn't.
he scanned her a few times afterwards and the chip hadn't moved, but they are due to go for their kennel cough vaccination so i'll get them to check it again

Might not have moved now but in the future who knows?? From the pic you posted that is unacceptable in my opinion, I have several lightly marked girls here (Your Heidi is VERY heavily marked from the pics I have seen) and NOT one of them has bled that much when I chipped them :eek:
Lightly marked is the doggy equivalant of being fair skinned (which I am!) it basically means your blood vessels etc are closer to the surface so you are more prone to bleeding.

Poor Heidi, give her a VERY gentle hug and big kiss from me won't you?

Back