• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bella can't walk :-(

Emma n Renco

I feel so sad and had to write this post to see if anyone has any wisdom to stop myself going crazy.

When we got Bella she had a bad limp and the vet said that her joints dislocated when she walked. She was about 6 when we got her back in November but full of life.

Yesterday she wouldn't stand up to go for a walk, when we got her to move her bad leg was 'hanging' and if she put it down it slipped underneath her. We weren't sure if she was just stiff so we waited to see how it was today and it was worse and when I picked her up to take her out for a wee she yelped in pain and does each time - but we have to pick her up because she can't walk. We have a vets appointment at 5 and the wait is really upsetting.

Do dogs get put down for this? I feel sick with worry, as I have no idea what the vet is going to suggest... please help? :-(

First, I'm so sorry this is happening to you and Bella.

If the vet cannot do anything for her, the kindest, most loving choice could be to give Bella her wings. When we are faced with choices like this, we have to consider the dog's pain and quality of life.

What I've found is our vets let us bring up the topic first, and then are very kind and patient while helping us consider all the options.

We're sending all our positive thoughts your way. :hug::flwr:

Positive Thoughts

Just to say I will be sending positive thoughts your way that your vet can help Bella.
I would like to think that there are alternatives to pts in this case but obviously I'm not a vet and dont know all the details - but you do see very happy three legged dogs dont you?

Anyway - hopefully this is a temporary set back and Bella will soon recover,

best wishes

Maxine

Sending lots of good wishes to you and hugs and kisses for Bella..I will be thinking of you.

I am so sorry that Bella is in pain and that in itself must hurt you so much to see her like that. I'd want to explore all the options before I made such a decision like giving Bella her wings. It seems to me that I have seen devices that are made to help a dog that loses a leg.

I'll be thinking about you and Bella and praying for you both.

So sorry for you and Bella as I can understand how distressing this is. Have the vet tell you what he thinks. Dopgs do generally do very well with three legs; a front leg is harder to lose that a rear leg but wither way they do tend to adjust. If all her legs are affected and she wouldn't be able to manage then you may need to consider that. There are companies that make little wheeled strap-on carts that allow the dog to get round surprisingly well though too so that might be another alternative.

That's very sad news indeed.I suggest not trying to think too far ahead until you've seen the vet and he's offered an honest opinion.I think then go with your gut instinct.If the joints dislocate on all her limbs,then there may not be very much that can be done for her long term.Until you've had the expert opinion,it's hard to say what should be done about managing her condition.
Sins

I know a little boy (human!) whose arm dislocates very easily. His mum was shown how to pop it back in. If all that is needed is the joint popped back into place, I'd ask the vet if it was appropriate for you to be shown how to do it.

I will be thinking of you today, please let us know how you get on. :hug:

Here are some links:

CARTS AND WHEELS

dogMOBILE http://www.dogmobile-online.com/ - make carts for dogs. UK based. Can accommodate cats too.

Doggon' Wheels http://www.doggon-uk.com/ make wheelchairs for dogs (and cats) along with a whole range of support products. Based in Woolhampton Uk, phone 0118 971 2990 or email [email protected]

Eddie's Wheels - carts for dogs (and cats) http://www.eddieswheels.com/ Based in US, there's an international link page for the UK and Japan. Please visit our website to see the full range of disabilities that we address with our carts - front leg issues, amputees, scoliosis, quad carts. We also offer the best warranty in the business. We have a rep in London, [email protected] if you have any questions, please contact him. Leslie and Eddie Grinnell

K-9 Carts http://www.k9carts.com/ - more wheels and other appliances including nursing care products to help with improved hygiene and increased mobility. Including water beds, the K9catchall and the K9Protectapet.

So sorry to read about Bella, poor baby :(
Sending prayers and hugs your way. Please , if you can, let us know how you get on at the Vets. :hug::hug::hug:

Just letting you know we are thinking of you and Bella and hoping for positive news at the vet. Keep us posted!!

Thank you for all of your kind words, I really appreciate all of them. I will definately post an update after the vets today. No way we are giving up on this little darling without a big fight, every option will be exhausted... we love her so much. The carts are a brilliant idea - thanks for that link Karlin :)

I know I'm a little late here, but GOOD LUCK! Hopefully it is something the vet can help her with.

I'll be looking for the update!

Praying so hard that your vet has options for you. I can imagine how distressful this is for you. I just can't stand it when either of mine is in pain. I'll be thinking of you all day and checking in for an update. As Sins said....try not to think too far in advance, take it as it comes.

Update

YIPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEE!! Your thoughts and prayers worked!

Oh gosh I am actually in tears writing this - with relief. The hip or pelvis wasn't dislocated, of all things it looks like our little lady has been getting a bit energetic and has pulled the muscles in her bad leg. Renco said she was crying in agony at the vets. The vet gave her an injection of muscle relaxant and painkillers, but says that by tomorrow she should be walking better. I feel bad for being so pesimistic but am soo happy.
Poor little Bella will get an overload of well deserved lots of cuddles now... So relieved :) The vet said that with her legs in a bad state we will have to face the dilemma in the future which I feared was happening now and that there are plenty of options for her then just like everyone has suggested today. My birthday is tomorrow and I feel like I have just had the best present...
Thanks everyone xx

Back