• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What to expect when the time comes?

estelle

When we have to say goodbye to Bailey i'm wondering how much this is going to affect Charlie? They're not great buddys but they do enjoy their playtimes together and their occasional cuddles! To be honest I think Charlie just tolerates him!! but i'm sure it's going to have an impact on him, so what can I expect??

We do want a 3rd, but are we better to wait until after or before?? would it make things less traumatic for Charlie if it was before??? in the way of he won't be alone and should be used to the new pup by then??

We don't know what to do for the best, any ideas or advice please?

Thanks

How old is Bailey? is he fit and well at the moment and able to tolerate a puppy? if so then I would get a 3rd but if you feel that he likes his own time and would be annoyed by a puppy or is ill then I would give him his space, peace and quiet at this needed time and wait a while longer before you have another puppy.
Puppys take time and looking after an older sick dog does as well, have you the time to do both?

Charlie will adapt to being on his own when that time comes, does he have any doggy friends that can visit while he is an only dog before bringing a puppy home? a little dog to play with for a while, or dogs that you meet while out?
I have multiple dogs and when we say goodbye to one they all miss the lost one, it isn't any easier than having one left on it's own, they all have their own special bonds with each other that they miss.
Personally I feel it's important to give the older dog, especially if ill, the priority first here.

Alison.

Bailey is almost 7 months, very playfull and full of energy it's Charlie (almost 2 yrs) that's more like the grandad! he likes his space more than Bailey.
Bailey sadly isn't going to be with us for too much longer due to his illness's, my vet has advised that we do not let him go over 1 yr as he'll then be in pain, but for the moment like I said he's full of mischief and just wants to play and isn't in any pain.

Charlie doesn't have any other doggy friends.

thats so sad im sorry to hear about bailey and at such a young age. It must be very hard for you. I don't know i have only the one puppy. You are used to having two. I'm not an expert by any means but if it was me i think i would give bailey the life he has until he passes away which will be very sad, and then i would get another puppy if you want.....i suppose its a matter of opinion and a very personal thing for you.

I think you need to focus on the dogs you have and the issues there. It isn't a good time to add an additional dog, especially a puppy that may only annoy and aggravate and stress out your ill dog. I wouldn't even introduce a new puppy into your family for a few months afterwards at *least*. You will need time on your own and so will your family and your existing dog.

You have a whole lifetime to get additional dogs. :flwr: Take the time to cherish what you have now and create some quiet mourning space when they are gone.

I'm so sorry to read this, it's tragic to think that he will only have such a short time with you but you are obviously making every day special and giving Bailey a good quality of life.

I agree with the others, concentrate on Bailey and Charlie now, and then think about another dog in the future.

When the time comes, if possible, let Charlie see Bailey after he has been PTS, so that he understands what has happened. They seem to accept things better that way, and don't look for the other dog, although they still grieve as we do. It's best to keep them in a routine as much as possible afterwards - it helps you too.

We are thinking of you.

I would echo what Karlin has said.Concentrate on looking after Bailey enjoy the time you will have with him and forget about adding another dog until the time is right. You may have longer than you think with Bailey enjoy the present and don't look too far into the future as no one knows what the future holds..things can change.You may decide when the time comes or after Bailey has left you to stay with only one dog who knows..for the moment give Charlie and Bailey all the time you can and if you do have to lose Bailey at one year you still have months to cherish him.It will be a sad time for you, but try to live for the moment..Take care..hugs to you and your precious doggies.

That is so sad about your little guy Bailey, best as I mentioned before then to give him his time and space now, there will be years ahead for another little one to come to you and Charlie. Just love him lots and enjoy him now. x

Alison.

Sorry for the sad news.I dont know what to say,i am not very good at words.But thinking of you and Bailey.

about Bailey

Estelle, Can you tell us again what is wrong with Bailey and why they are suggesting you give him his wings so soon? Is that really the only option?

Estelle, I can only echo what Karlin and Nicki have already said, concentrate on Bailey and Charlie for now and take each day as it comes. :hug: :flwr:

Again good advice from the others. When I lost my Jenny recently all the others were allowed to say goodbye. :(

This is so sad and I agree with those that say that you should wait to get a new puppy.
Our Button's sister passed away and we were worried about her but she adapted. We did eventually get another one (Toby) and for a week they had growly moments trying to sort out the pecking order. Bailey is still young too so another puppy may disrupt things too much.
Don't forget that you say Charlie doesn't have any other doggy friends - but Charlie has you and your family. You're still part of the pack too. xx

I'll echo what was said above. In your shoes....I would give Bailey as much quality time as I can and not worry about adding another until he's passed and you've all had time to accept his passing and grieve a bit. I'm betting Charlie will do okay. He will initially miss Bailey but these are such adaptable little dogs he'll come to accept the change.

For now focus on Bailey, enjoy your time with him and let the rest of his life be of quality. There will be plenty of time to make decisions later but it's not something I would worry about now.

so sorry about your boy...I had to go back and read your other post as I don't get on here much. I think you should just focus now on bailey and he will let you know when it is time. I wish you the best in the months to come.

Back