• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Oprah Show on Puppy Mills - Friday 4/4/08

Cathy Moon

I just received this news -

Oprah Winfrey Show: Segment on Puppy Mills to Air April 4th

Click on the link -> http://www2.oprah.com/index.jhtml

In the middle of page, click Tune In Next Week, click See what's coming up!, then click on the tab Friday, 04/04/08 (Lisa Ling Investigates the Hidden World of Puppy Mills (PG). You will also be able to post on the Message Board regarding this upcoming segment.

Oh wow! That's huge. Lisa Ling does such good investigative stories. I'll have to set my DVR for this one. And have a box of kleenex handy.:(

Here's the story of how Oprah was asked to do a segment on puppy mills. This is a quote from the newsletter I received:
A few weeks ago I ran a 5K in the city near Oprah's studio and noticed that some group had funded a HUGE billboard begging Oprah to do a show on puppy mills. (you could not miss this billboard. I wanted to shout with joy when I saw it and thought, she CAN'T ignore this.)
Fantastic!!!

That is so cool!! I know lots of people have been lobbying her for years to do a segment on mills. She has so much influence....any cause she supports benefits so much from her popularity.

Yes I remember this has been discussed for a long time amongst people hoping to encourage a segment on this topic. She has such power to raise awareness especially in this foolish age of celebrities with designer dogs and designer crosses -- the perfect environment in which the puppy mill and backyard breeder thrive.

But consider this in today's New York Times-- in the BUSINESS section!!

So I decided to find out how much it costs to get and raise a dog or a cat. First, there is the act of getting a dog. My sister-in-law, Anne Marie, who lives in Northern California, initially adopted a shelter dog, but he ended up being too aggressive around her small niece. So she went to a breeder recommended by a veterinarian.

She bought an adorable Cavalier King Charles spaniel for $1,500, which was almost double what she had planned on spending.

“Trust me, I questioned my sanity at that price,” she said.

There are much cheaper options, of course. Pet stores sell dogs and cats; I have friends who have been very happy with the puppies they bought at pet stores. Many people, however, worry that a dog sold in a pet store may come from a puppy mill.

From: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/29/business/29shortcuts.html

:sl*p: Well her SIL should worry that a BYB ain't a whole lot better than a mill and often is worse!! If that is ALL she paid in Northern California, she went to some trash breeder of the type that will have done NO health research or testing, won;t have good quality breeding dogs to start with, and is just going to be breeding whatever to whatever. That is too low for that part of the country, and for not much more, however, she could have had a good quality puppy from a reputable breeder. I respect my vets in most ways but I'd NEVER ask a vet for advice on a breeder. :eek:

This is another side of the problem -- anyone who just bought like this, also did no research, knew little about the breed, and might as well have got a mill puppy.

People spend more time researching a new fridge or car then they do an animal that will live with them for the next decade. I bet people buying a car would look at warranties, small print, dealer options, and car test results. But people buying a cavalier won't know they need to ask for cardiologist certifications on the mother and father. I hope the Oprah segment will go into some of the things like this too and tell people to be sure to carefully research the breed and what they should be asking a breeder about.

I just saw this on people.com - I already set my DVR to record this, although it's going to be really sad to watch :cry*ing::

Oprah Dedicates Show to Her Late Cocker Spaniel
By Sara Hammel
Originally posted Wednesday April 02, 2008 09:45 AM EDT
Oprah WinfreyPhoto by: Ramey

Oprah Winfrey will dedicate an upcoming talk show to her beloved cocker spaniel.

Sophie, who died last month of kidney failure, "gave me 13 years of unconditional love," Winfrey says in the show slated to air Friday, the Associated press reports. "She was a true love of my life."

In honor of Sophie, The Oprah Winfrey Show will focus on abuses at puppy mills, the wire service reported.

Oprah's special correspondent Lisa Ling carried out the investigation and calls the puppy mills "horrific" and "haunting," while Winfrey says the show is "for anybody anywhere who loves a dog, has ever loved a dog, or just cares about their basic right to humane treatment."

None of Winfrey's dogs came from a puppy mill. But the host vowed to visit and animal shelter – not a breeder – the next time she adopts a pet.

"I would never, ever adopt another pet now without going to a shelter to do it," she told the AP. "I am a changed woman after seeing this show."

It has been a rough year for the dog-loving Winfrey. Sophie's passing follows last July's death of Gracie, Winfrey's 2-year-old golden retriever, who chocked on a plastic ball.

Back