• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Tri facial markings

I am considering purchasing a tri. Her conformation is great, great personality and generally checks out as potential show. The problem is her markings are not symmetrical on each side of her face. Is this a fault? Will this elminate her as a show dog?

Thanks!!

Well, I guess the first thought that springs to mind is, who is the breeder who is selling her as show potential? (NB DON'T name the breeder publicly please!! ). There are a lot of questionable breeders who sell what they call show potential puppies to very unsuspecting and trusting but inexperienced buyers. If you are working with a breeder who isn't working very closely with you on this and hasn't discussed all this in detail so that you know what the strengths and weaknesses of this dog are, and who is willing to sell on open registration a bitch of her breeding-- I'd be pretty concerned that this is someone having you on. Also -- how old is the puppy? No breeder can predict a show potential puppy at a young age. In addition, very few reputable breeders will sell show potential female cavaliers to someone who doesn't already have some show experience unless it is a co-own situation with someone who has been mentored somewhere with another reputable breeder -- because of the risk of someone breeding improperly. It sounds like this probably isn't the case with you -- eg that you aren't working with a mentor -- as an experienced mentor could most accurately answer your question?

This isn't a criticism of you at all; it is just a red flag about the breeder that would come across from the admittedly small amount of detail in your post. There are so many scam breeders out there -- especially ones who sell higher priced dogs that are not remotely show quality to the unsuspecting interested in getting into showing -- that I'd just move with extreme caution.

I am sure some of our show breeders here can give advice and directly address your questions too. (y) Some may be willing to discuss this privately with you and might have some knowledge of this breeder.

Generally tri heads should be pretty symmetrical -- the AKC standard specifically notes markings should be evenly spaced on tris but this seems to refer more to the black not the tan. However markings are probably the single least important element on a cavalier as far as judges are concerned -- the icing on the cake, not the cake. The cake is far more important.

Tricolor - Jet black markings well broken up on a clear, pearly white ground. The ears must be black and the color evenly spaced on the head and surrounding both eyes, with a white blaze between the eyes. Rich tan markings over the eyes, on cheeks, inside ears and on underside of tail.

I agree with Karlin and would be happy to help you evaluate whether enough is developed to know if this puppy and its age can be determined for show potential. Also, a tri girl is the hardest to obtain, most breeders do not let these go easily or place with someone they know. Feel free to PM me anytime.

Wow, thanks for the great advice. I truly am a novice and I need to hear these things.

I should first clarify that I am looking for a Cavalier for my 10 and 11-year-old daughters to show at 4-H and Jr. Showmanship events. The breeder has told me that this dog is show "potential" not show quality.

Thanks!

Do you have pictures you can post? That is what most people do with show potential puppies, as many pictures as you can get, and you have a lot of good eyes on this board.

moz-screenshot-2.jpg
moz-screenshot-3.jpg
hmm...that didn't work. I guess I don't know how to paste pictures from flikr!

Short and sweet...If it is very obvious it is a fault. But there have been a few minor cases where Champions have got made up when it was there but not that obvious....

....Three wonderful words spring to mind in this thread.....RONNOC TRUE LUCK

Evan

Hard to tell from that picture, I think you mean the blaze is off center, the other markings look symmetrical. Do you have any other pictures? body shots? how old is the puppy?

OK it took me an hour to download that picture! I am not very computer-savvy. I have a couple more side views but for some reason I can't seem to copy and paste them!

Anyway, it's kind of hard to tell in the picture, but the markings on the face are asymmetrical. The color goes around each eye, but it goes down further on one side of the face.

I have to say this is pretty cool that I found you all. I am from a small town in Oregon, USA.

Hi Nancy-

How patient you've been with me! The puppy is 8 weeks old. The head is very square and the ears seem set right also. Very healthy puppy. I will try again and send another picture of a side view.

It is so hard to tell from those pictures. The head seems nice, but you need a standing shot too. I will say this again, the chance of you getting a top female show tri as a newby is really small, so she may be as good as you can get. If you have your heart set on a tri and are aware that she may not be a Champion, if she is from a top breeder that does all the testing, at a reasonable price, it may be worth the gamble.

To paste a pic from Flickr you need to choose the 'different sizes' option at the top menu, then pick a size, then choose NOT the url from the very top of the page -- as that is for the entire page, not the pic itself! Instead look under the pic and you can see an option to take just the url; copy that and paste it inhere using the IMG tags. There are directions on how to post pictures pinned a the top of the main Gallery section.

At the moment you are posting the entire page image and all the text from the page as well. The pic alone will end in .jpg (y)

I'd echo Nancy here -- be careful. Personally, I would simply not trust a breeder talking about show 'potential' on an 8 week puppy who is willing to part with her to an unknown context unless for example this is a very reputable show breeder and personal friend doing a personal favour. It just would not be normal for someone to home a show potential female -- *especially* a female -- once you get to know certain types of websites, you learn that usually those kind of terms are shorthand amongst backyard breeders to let people know they will sell them breeding dogs so they can set up their own breeding operation. Just be very, very careful and take the advice of someone who is a KNOWN and reputable breeder in the area. If this particular breeder lives in the Washington state area please PM me as there is a known felon selling what she would call show potential puppies at what would seem good prices in the Pacific Northwest region. She sells under a range of names and comes across as very nice and knowledgable: http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=13258. We have at least one board member who was going to buy 'show potential' females from her.

I want to add that I've been waiting 3 years for a tri female, just ask Sandy. And of course, my Nina just had the most delicious tri BOY. A lot of breeders just make their own because they are so difficult to obtain.

Back