• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Are Tricolours more vocal than Blenheims?

shippers

Hopefully when we come to choose our new puppy there will be Blenheim and Tricolour girls in the litter (not born yet). We already have a Blenheim girl. I would have liked a tricolour girl but the breeder told us that in her experience the tricolours tend to be more vocal? Do other people think this? I would be tempted to have another Blenheim based on this as Sally is so placid and never barks unless she is playing. I also read on here recently that it's difficult to get a tri girls markings correct too. All this has left me wondering which colour I would go for but I realise there may not be a big choice with one litter.

In our house it happens to be the blenheims that are more vocal. Pretty tough to generalize on color IMHO.

In our house the blenheims are much more vocal than the tri. My guess is that being vocal or not has nothing to do with their coloring but their individual personalities. :)

Oh thats good to hear Bruce it means I might get my tri girl after all! I really hope there are girls in the litter though. They will hopefully be born safe and well on the 1st May and I can't wait.

My blenheim is more vocal than my tri - I thought it might be because he's a boy. But I think it can be attributed to the individual cavalier's personality.

Actually my tri is quieter than my b&t as well.

Of our vocal dogs, the girls are more vocal than the boys. But then we have lots more girls than boys too. Like color, I would say it's pretty tough to generalize how vocal a dog may be based on sex.

Except, possibly, among the humans in our house :wink:.

OK Kris, I'll be out sleeping on the couch tonite if you need me!

I have two blens and three tris...I find the tris more vocal but saying that the blens are both 11. I wouldnt be without my tris. I love the colour and would love another one...who knows;)

Our Blenheim is much more vocal than our Black and Tan, he will bark at the slightest noise - in the evenings just a change in tone on the tv will set him barking like a mad man!

Our Black and Tan is very quiet and doesnt bark that much at all - but you know what they say.... its the quiet ones you have to watch!!!

Our Tri is 100 times more vocal than the 2 Blens we have had, but it might just be down to personality rather than the colour!

The most vocal one's in my house, after the kids that is! :rotfl: are all Blenheims, closely followed by B/T!!

think it is very hard to differentiate between the colours really as to most vocal as the others have already said, and I would agree that the vocal part has more to do with the overall personality of the dog rather than the colour!!

Our tri boy NEVER barks, except in the morning when he needs to get up and go out.

He does make the cutest peeping noise when he is about to get a treat but everyone raves about how he doesnt bark.

I think its the luck of the draw.

Honest opinion? I would definitely NOT get a puppy from any breeder saying something as totally ridiculous as this. How could anything as superficial as coat colour -- especially as all four colours can come out of the same litter, and tris and blenheims are often in the same litter -- have anything to do with how much a dog barks? :sl*p: In my house the loudest dog is Jaspar, a blenheim. The quietest is Leo, a tri.

Unless this is just a particularly quirky yet reputable breeder with some odd but amusing ideas, I'd have serious doubts on what her overall level of breeding and breed knowledge is. For example:

1) have you actually see the cardiologist (NOT vet) hear clearances on BOTH parents? AND grandparents? So that you know she is serious about giving you a puppy that will not be dead by age 6 of mitral valve disease, regardless of whether it barks more than its littermates? :sl*p:

2) are all the parents at least 2.5 years old? And all the grandparents at least 5, and remained heart clear til 5?

3) Does she show? Or just breed for income?

4) Has she gone through with you, in detail, an honest discussion about MVD and syringomyelia?

If someone is telling me something as utterly nonsensical as the 'fact' that tris are more vocal I'd want proof that she is well informed and responsible in these far more important areas because I would have grave doubts based on that kind of ludicrous advice.

Sorry for being so blunt, but I am just getting unbelievably frustrated and exasperated by the low quality of breeding happening in this breed at a point when it is more important than ever that breeders take breeding for health and being open and honest, seriously.

Yes Karlin she is a very reputable breeder! I have seen the cardiologist certificates and eye certificates. This breeder shows very successfully getting the father placed at Crufts this year and that is where we met her. We have been to her house and seen all her dogs and discussed many aspects in great depth. I realise you just have the best interests of the breed at heart but not all breeders are in it for the money and sell unhealthy pups. The breeder is very knowledgable and well known in the breeding and show world. I can assure you she knows the health of all dogs in the pedigree for many generations and at what age they passed away and from what conditions. This comment was the breeder speaking from personal experience and not based on any research it was just from what she has found with her dogs. It certainly does not mean she is bad at what she does so well.

I believe puppies are like children in the sense that some use their voices more than others....like when playing, some dogs bark when excited and want attention more than others. I agree that it is an individual personality that comes along with each dog, so I wouldn't worry about getting the color of your choice. You know you will love her no matter what anyway. LOL Good luck!!!

my blen is as quiet as anything but the two tri's are the noisest things ever!!

but i still love them loads and loads lol!!

Our tri is as quiet as they come; although I know she CAN bark as I have heard her on several occassions, but only if she sees something really strange (like a garden umbrella turned upside-down from the wind!). We have a 14 YO terrier mix that is a barking freak, and unfortunately our b&t puppy is picking that bad habit up. I am desperately trying to break it b/c I cannot stand a yappy dog! I think it all has to do with their individual personalities and what they learn from the other dogs in the group. My guess would be since your oldest is quiet, the puppy will learn from him/ her.

Of our vocal dogs, the girls are more vocal than the boys. But then we have lots more girls than boys too. Like color, I would say it's pretty tough to generalize how vocal a dog may be based on sex.

Except, possibly, among the humans in our house :wink:.

OK Kris, I'll be out sleeping on the couch tonite if you need me!
ROFL* You just bark if you need to go to inside to the toilet:D

Back