• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Firefighters rescue guinea pig from burning home

cy1266

How cute is this?!?

Firefighters rescue guinea pig from burning home

THE BLOTTER 5:13 AM CDT, April 1, 2008 Rescuing dogs and cats from a fire is not unusual for firefighters. But for Palatine firefighters the rescue and resuscitation of a guinea pig from an apartment blaze in the northwest suburb Monday evening may have been a first.

Responding to a report of heavy black smoke coming from a second-floor apartment unit in the 1800 block of North Goodwin Drive in Palatine's Winchester Hills Apartments at 4:52 p.m., Palatine Fire Department crews performed a search and rescue operation for any occupants in need of help when they arrived on the scene. Although all of the residents were evacuated from the three-story, six-unit complex without injury or in need of assistance, firefighters did find a pet guinea pig suffering from smoke inhalation in one of the units and successfully treated the furry creature with oxygen, according to Palatine Fire Battalion Chief Randy Freise.

A pet bird also was found suffering from smoke inhalation. Unfortunately, however, it did not survive.

The fire, which was confined to the second-floor apartment unit, was extinguished at 5:07 p.m., Freise noted in a press release. Although the second-floor unit was left uninhabitable, residents in the rest of the building were expected to be able to return to the building late Monday night. The cause of the fire remained under investigation as of early Tuesday morning.

Palatine police assisted in evacuating the apartment building as well as neighboring buildings, and units from the [URL="http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/us/illinois/cook-county-PLGEO100100501000000.topic"]Arlington Heights[/URL] Fire Department assisted in fighting the blaze.

Looking for you piggie owners...

Okay, I am admittidly an animal freak and would have one of everything if I could. But I am always drawn to guinea pigs. I just saw a hairless variety at a specialty shop and was intrigued. How are they to care for? Do you have to trim their nails & teeth? Can they run around the house? Can you litter box train them like a rabbit? Are they good with kids? Are they good with other pets? Would my cat kill it?

Would love some piggie input! Thanks!

ok one question at a time. :D
trim nails yes teeth no they need something hard to chew on but to be honest just normal eating will usually do it. i have heard some people give them sticks to chew on
i never have had house trained piggies i am not sure they can be.
fab with kids, they are a bit skittish when initially picked up but mine love to sit on my chest and watch telly, they make the most adorable grunting noises.
not sure about other pets as i have only ever owned them alone.
they are rodent so i wouldnt let your cat close enough to harm them.

they cannot produce there own vitamin c (like humans) so they need to be supplied with it.

you can keep them indoors or out, mine are in a cage in the corner of the room altho when we move and have a gerden we are going to get them a run. you can keep hem outside but in bad weather they need to be covered/sheltered. i have had piggies since i was little and i love them to bits :D

Back