PDA

View Full Version : Cavalier ear Length

sins
1st April 2008, 10:54 PM
I was just wondering at what age will a cavalier's ears have reached full length? I see all the pics of beautiful long eared spaniels in the gallery and yet Daisy's seem very short in comparison.
Sins

Barbara Nixon
1st April 2008, 11:17 PM
It's all in the genes, except where companions have a munch on the ears. My Joly has very short ears, though the hair is long, while Teddy almost tripped over his ,as a puppy.

Cathryn
2nd April 2008, 12:40 AM
As Barbara says it is all in the genes really, although as a rule Tri's and B/T's have much longer and fuller/thicker ear feathering as the black coat is naturally stronger than the chestnut the Blenheims and Ruby's have.

Karlin
2nd April 2008, 01:06 AM
My boys have fairly short and light coats but their ears keep growing. Each year they get a bit longer but they grow slowly. Some on the board have dogs with really long ears who are the same age, or younger than mine! Lily's grow about 1.5 inches a year -- they run about 3 inches over the tips of her ear leather now and were trimmed short when I got her from the pound at end of May 2006. So it is a combination of time and genes basically. My tris have fuller ears than the blenheims.

Lisa_T
2nd April 2008, 01:41 AM
Also the actual ear leathers - Holly has teeny tiny ear leathers, but her ear feathers grow at an astonishing rate. Amber has very large ear leathers - the breeder told me it was a characteristic of their prefix - but her feathers grow relatively slowly. Which works out to them having more or less the same ear length most of the time.

rocky
2nd April 2008, 07:50 PM
glad you asked this as i was wondering the very same thing, vegas is 6 months and his ears is small compared to a few dogs i have seen on the forum i guess they are just like humans :winkct: