• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavalier ear Length

sins

I was just wondering at what age will a cavalier's ears have reached full length? I see all the pics of beautiful long eared spaniels in the gallery and yet Daisy's seem very short in comparison.
Sins

It's all in the genes, except where companions have a munch on the ears. My Joly has very short ears, though the hair is long, while Teddy almost tripped over his ,as a puppy.

As Barbara says it is all in the genes really, although as a rule Tri's and B/T's have much longer and fuller/thicker ear feathering as the black coat is naturally stronger than the chestnut the Blenheims and Ruby's have.

My boys have fairly short and light coats but their ears keep growing. Each year they get a bit longer but they grow slowly. Some on the board have dogs with really long ears who are the same age, or younger than mine! Lily's grow about 1.5 inches a year -- they run about 3 inches over the tips of her ear leather now and were trimmed short when I got her from the pound at end of May 2006. So it is a combination of time and genes basically. My tris have fuller ears than the blenheims.

Also the actual ear leathers - Holly has teeny tiny ear leathers, but her ear feathers grow at an astonishing rate. Amber has very large ear leathers - the breeder told me it was a characteristic of their prefix - but her feathers grow relatively slowly. Which works out to them having more or less the same ear length most of the time.

glad you asked this as i was wondering the very same thing, vegas is 6 months and his ears is small compared to a few dogs i have seen on the forum i guess they are just like humans :winkct:

Back