• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

cavalier markings

rocky

what do breeders and people who show their dog look for in their appearance i have a bleheim and his markings are lovely to me but he does not have the spot at the top of his head why do breeders prefer this and is their markings supposed to be similar on each side as you can probably tell it's my first cav

Having a lozenge is not something that is important to me. Health is the biggest issue, followed by conformation, type etc.

Each to their own re markings really, as Bev has already said Health and Temperament are of equal first importance, then conformation and movement, finally markings are the icing on the cake.

There are some out there who do not like to see the heavily marked dogs however a white or tan spot in just the wrong place on a topline can make the dog appear to be roachbacked or dip backed, it's an optical illusion! Similarly the tan on the back legs if not level can make it look like the dog is "dropping" to one side when moving! The "Spot" or "Lozenge" is generally the deciding factor, the cherry on the icing so to speak, if you have 2 dogs of equal quality and one has the spot whilst the 2nd one does not then top honours should go to the one with the spot!

My own Lifetime Crufts Qualifier does not have the spot, but his quality was enough that he won his stud book number! (Life qualification)
Ironically a lot of his offspring do have the sought after spot!! :lol:

At the end of the day beauty is in the eye of the beholder and if you think your dog is beautiful then who cares what any-one else thinks eh? ;) :luv:

Each to their own re markings really, as Bev has already said Health and Temperament are of equal first importance, then conformation and movement, finally markings are the icing on the cake.

At the end of the day beauty is in the eye of the beholder and if you think your dog is beautiful then who cares what any-one else thinks eh? ;) :luv:

Well said Cathryn and I couldnt agree more.:)

I love the markings on my two, both are very different even though they are both tri colour.

SukiRalphie.jpg

Ralphie is at the front and has more white on him, whereas Suki has no blaze and is mostly black across her back

ImportedPhotos0095425thfeb.jpg

just out of interest - how do Ralphies markings look to those of you in the know??? personally i think he's beautiful

Last edited:
I'm not a breeder or "in the know" and I have a blenheim, however, I think Sukie and Ralphie are adorable!!!

Back