PDA

View Full Version : Barking at cats!!!!

ann
3rd April 2008, 10:21 AM
Ellie now 14 months has started going crazy if she sees a cat :eek:....
If we are out walking with her, she wants to stop at every gate and look for cats. It isnt too much of a problem as we just hurry her along and dont make a big deal of it...BUT what is a problem is, she has seen a cat crossing our garden and now when she goes out into the garden, she goes crazy.....barking at the fence and running roung looking for cats:mad:
Last night in the dark, she must have actually bumped into a cat in the garden, because she was screeching and howling and as we went to see what was happining we saw the cat run off......Ellie wasn't hurt and she was still going crazy trying to jump at the fence.....( I hope the cat was OK)
Now this cannot carry on, our neighbour has a young baby....
I have owned dogs all my life, but never had a dog with such an issue over cats......I am not really sure of the best way to correct her :confused:......last night I got so mad I threw some water at her :(.....it had no effect....
Oh and I do know some will frown at the 'water' but how do I stop this fixation about cats......

sins
3rd April 2008, 10:58 AM
Oh goodness,I sympathise with your situation.We too have a cat hater.
Of course it doesn't help that the kids encourage this behaviour by yelling "Kill Daisy Kill" when a cat happens by.:(
At the moment we're overrun with stray cats and it's a dog's nature to chase cats and birds.We now have to check if the cats are around before we can let the dog out even in our own gardens.
The problem really is not the dog, but with the cat owners who just allow cats to breed indiscriminately and wander all over people's gardens while dropping worm laden faeces.
Firstly you need to protect your dog from cat attacks, they can injure a small spaniel and a large tomcat can inflict major damage.
Secondly try and distract the dog with food maybe and if there's a major outbreak of barking put the dog in the utility room until the barking subsides.If depreived of encouragement maybe the spaniel won't be so quick to bark.
perhaps it's not a major problem for me as we're detatched and are a decent distance from our neighbours so they don't really get disturbed.
I'm sure someone else will have a more workable solution to suggest.
Sins

ann
3rd April 2008, 12:56 PM
Hi Sins, Ellie has never been told '' Cats'' I do know what you mean though.
We have a large garden, and yes a few of our neighbours do have cats. We can't stop cats coming into our garden... I have seen a cat wander in, but if Ellie spots it she chases the cat barking like crazy......
Last night though in the dark, I think Ellie and the cat met....We rushed outside because it sounded like Ellie was being attacked ( but I think she was just startled) there isnt a scratch on her, and I have had a close look. To be honest, its Ellie thats doing the chasing and barking.... For a good couple of hours after it happened all she wanted to do was get back into the garden and find the cat :mad: I ended up taking her out to potty on her long lead :mad:.......She needs to be taught NOT to bark and chase cats.....but how??:confused:.....In the past we have always owned a cat and dog together....

Millys Mummy
3rd April 2008, 07:59 PM
We have the same problem too but I think I caused it. When Milly was only a couple of weeks with us she was afraid to go into the garden if the cats were on the fence. I used to coach her at the door telling her it was her garden and not to let those cats frighten her! I know I sound mad but she was so afraid. Now the cats come and taunt her by sitting on top of our neighbours extension. She goes bananas at them and nothing will stop her. She is the same with birds too (that has only started since Spring came and they started chirping!). I'm afraid I can't offer any advice!

Gem
3rd April 2008, 08:18 PM
i know how you feel. Chloe loves going into the garden and barking at next doors cat. It drives us all insane as the cat sits on the fence im sure he knows she cant get to him up there and just does it to wind her up!
Heidi on the other hand couldnt care less, give her any cat and she'd ignore it

vikki
4th April 2008, 01:06 AM
my sweet little puppy has matured into a cat crazed dog. it happened over night it seems. she goes nuts when she sees a cat up on the fence, starts barking and will fly out the dog door. she gets all puffed up and runs up and down the fence line with her nose on the ground sniffing on the look out for cats. she will now not go outside in the back without first going to the corner and sniffing. I kinda think some dogs just don't mind cats and others just want to chase them. I am sad mine looks to be a cat chaser I don't know how I can convince any stray kitties to come live at my house with maile wanting to chase them all the time. no cat in their right mind will put up with that

hbmama
4th April 2008, 01:28 AM
Well, when all is said and done, our sweet little Cavaliers are in fact, dogs. I know, hard to remember that, but, most dogs are not happy when their property has been invaded by an uninvited guest. My girl is fine with cats if they are introduced, inside the house, or at friends houses. However, the minute that goofy neighbor cat perches on the wall, Dottie goes ballistic, barks like there is no tomorrow and races back and forth along the fence line.:dogwlk: The cat finds all of this quite amusing, and just sits there, flicking his tail with that Cheshire grin.:D I suppose you can just bring your pup in when the cats choose to taunt, as only cats can, but not sure what else to do.

Zippy
4th April 2008, 02:36 AM
It's just the prey instinct at work.....but, when it comes to cats, you have to take your dog inside or away from the cat, as previously stated.

A cat can turn on your Cavalier in a flash and cause all kinds of damage with one swipe of their claws.

Anything from an infected scratch to even blinding your dog.

It only takes a split second....now, many encounters with cats don't end this way, but you just don't know.

All of our Cavaliers have high prey instincts for birds, cats and squirrels. The only one that really concerns me, are the cats.

hollyandmel
4th April 2008, 09:37 PM
Holly s a cat lover lucky really as she lives with 3! They get on great and all sleep together :razz:

However, she recognises cats that arn't 'her's and will try and chase them when outside!

x

sramirez
4th April 2008, 09:44 PM
I have a squirrel chaser in my pack of dogs - he just goes "nuts" (pardon the expression) when he thinks there is a squirrel outside or on our fence. Luckily, they steer pretty clear of dogs, but do spend quiet a bit of time sitting in the tree taunting them. And Chaz will just sit there forever waiting for one to fall out of the tree (wishful thinking :)

Sheri