PDA

View Full Version : Bee/Wasp Stings



Louise1823
4th April 2008, 01:47 PM
Hi all,
Maybe this has already been asked before, but I just wanted to see if anyone else has problems with their pups chasing bee's and wasp's in the summer months?
Im already starting to notice one or two of them around the back of the house and back garden, and caught Millie about an hour ago toying with a MASSIVE bumble bee on the back step.

They seem to be getting bigger and furrier each year, so I think Millie just see's them as an extension of her teddy collection :D, and she obviously doesn't seem to realise that they can give her a nasty sting!

She was stung on the lip by a wasp when she was very young, and we managed to reduce the swelling by quickly dabbing the area with some vinegar on a cotton bud.
Im just afraid that I mightn't always be there to stop her from chasing and trying to eat them, and next time it might be a big bumbler that she attacks!
Does anyone else have the same problem or any tips on what to do if it does happen again?

shippers
4th April 2008, 02:00 PM
Hi Louise I just found this thread in the health section. Hope this helps.

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=21065

I'll have to get some in as the summer is approaching.

Justine
4th April 2008, 08:32 PM
Alfs is allways chasing bees,he has caught a few but by pure luck hasnt been stung yet.

Chardonnay
4th April 2008, 09:41 PM
All dogs do this. My Brittany is 14 years old and has done it all his life despite being stung in the mouth at least a dozen times by yellow-jackets and bumbles...he's no worse for wear...

Karlin
4th April 2008, 10:13 PM
Some dogs will have the same reaction some humans do -- and a sting will quickly become life threatening. Also, animals that have never had a problem can suddenly have an anaphalactic (severe) reaction. The really big issue is that most dogs will get stung in the mouth -- or throat, having swallowed a stinging insect -- and if they have a reaction, they will quickly be unable to breathe.

It's a good idea to have an emergency kit for stings around, and if the dog begins to swell at all, grab the dog and drive as fast as you safely and lawfully can to the closest vet (not your own vet necessarily -- if the dog's throat swells, you may not have long enough to get to your own vet). A friend's dog had one of these severe reactions and was lucky he didn't wait to se what might happen; instead he just grabbed the dog and went immediately to the vet, which saved its life.

It's also a good idea to keep an eye on animals to prevent them snapping at or eating stinging insects in the first place. I recommend keeping some Bendryl plus the recommended dosage info in a ziplock bag in the car as often, dogs get stung when you have them at a park or away from home. :thmbsup:

Chelle & Rex
6th April 2008, 12:57 AM
Rex got stung last year by a wasp we had a nest in our garden- Thanks to Karlin and everyone here we brought him straight to the vet. Lucky we did - he was going into shock and his little face was all swollen by the time we got him there (20 mins). The vet said if we left it any longer it may have been fatal :eek:

Cavfan
6th April 2008, 09:51 AM
Jazzy, our Blenheim chased wasps when he was a pup until he got stung and his little face swelled up like Marlon Brando in the Godfather! Took him to the vet straightaway and got him an antihystemine jab and he was fine. Never chased wasps again!