• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What other dog (breeds) have you had?

chloe92us

I am curious as to what other kinds of dogs people have had and what made you choose a Cavalier?

I have had: a poodle (apricot toy~ "Chloe"~ my screen name still after losing her 6 years ago!), a Jack Russel/ Chihuahua mix (still do), a Sheltie, a yellow lab, 2 Cavaliers (B/T male~ Ollie, Tri female~ Casey).

I saw my first Cavalier on "Sex and the City" and fell in LOVE with her on the show. I started researching the breed and knew it would be the perfect match for my lifestyle. I honestly feel I will never have anything else. I LOVE THEM!

Of course, I have loved all of my dogs, but my poodle, Chloe, was the first doggie love of my life. She was wonderful; I will never forget her. There is something special about poodles that I can't explain~ I honestly feel she could understand everything I said. They are just amazingly intelligent. But I never cared for all of the grooming and I didn't necessarily care for the "poodle look". So my search began for the "perfect" dog.

I do feel I found the PERFECT DOGS in my Cavaliers; I can't put into words WHY I love these dogs so much, but they are so special! It's so nice to know there are so many others out there that feel the same way!

As a child, we had a black lab named Blackie...lol He was fabulous...

Then, we didn't have a dog again until our Charley entered our life in 1992.
He was such a darling, used to joke that he was "the boy I'd never had"...lol
We loved him so much, but were lucky to have him with us for 14yrs, 4months.

We now have Mary Alice (approx.4yrs) and Rosie (13 months).
We chose May 1st for Mary Alices' birthday, as she was about 3 1/2 when we got her and Rosie was born March 1st.
They are beautiful, lovely natured "girls", full of mischief and total rascals, as should be!
It would be great if they could be with us for 14 years.

Not sure I could live without a Cavalier in my life. They are all beautiful.:)

We had a dalmation & a german shorthaired pointer when I was a child. When I got married, my husband and I (both of us in law enforcement) got a lovely german shepherd named Max. When he passed, and later on when we had smaller children, we got a yellow lab named Sunny, and a pound puppy rescue, Australian Shepherd mix named Cody. Both were great with the kids. We lost both to cancer (a few years before we got our Cavalier), at ages 13 and 14.

We have always had larger dogs and didn't think we would ever have a small breed until I met my first Cavalier and then that was that. Had to have one, and don't know what we ever did without her. (My friends joked that I had gone over to the dark side, by getting a toy dog.) Now they love her almost as much as I do!

We had two white toy poodles growing up, and then when they died at 11 and 13, we got two silver toy poodles. They lived to be 15 and 16. They were all really sweet and loving dogs, and as you said, very smart. The first two (especially the younger one, FeFe), were very loving toward everyone, but the 2nd two were not socialized enough outside of my parents and I, so they were not friendly to people outside the family. That was our fault. I was 18 and away at college when my parents got the 2nd set, and we just really didn't know any better. We got the first set when I was 5, and I think the socialization just happened naturally, without us doing it intentionally. We took them lots of places and there were/are 5 siblings in my family, so there was always a lot going on.

I think poodles are adorable and I love the nonshedding characteristic. But I don't like all the grooming necessary either, or the rough brushouts with that "kinky" hair. But I think a well-groomed one is gorgeous.

I wanted more of a "kid" dog and I just absolutely love the looks and temperament of Cavaliers. I wanted one for probably 15 years before I was in a situation where I felt I could get one. And then it was like pulling teeth to get my husband to agree for me to spend MY money on Daisy because he thought it was ridiculous to pay that much for a pet. Part of me agrees when I think about the poor doggies waiting on death row for a reprieve that I could have gotten basically free and would probably have loved just as much. But the heart wants what the heart wants. I wouldn't trade Daisy for the world. She's my dream dog!

I got my first dog when I was four years old.I'm now sixty,I have seldom been without a dog.I've had all kinds,mutts and pure breds.I thought the best dogs in the world were labs,I've had a few great ones.I now have two cavaliers,I want another and I'll never be without one for the rest of my life.

I forgot to add Buddy,he's my big male three year old golden retriever.Very beautiful smart dog.

My first dog was a Golden Retriever, we then got two more Goldies (parents still have the 3rd one) Then I got Leo (Chinese Crested x Maltese) who died in March this year, also had a Chinese Crested (Powder Puff) from rescue, a GSD x Lab (Parents still have her) a Greyhound (saved her form being put down & then found her a new home after she tryed to eat one of our cats!) then Cassie (Jack Russell) who I still have - Oh & then there was the boxer x that wandered into my job last year, he went off with the dog warden but no one claimed him so I had him for a few weeks till I could find him a home with lots of space!

And now we have Sparky the Cavalier. When I worked in kennels we used to have a lot of Cavaliers that boarded with us & I fell in love with them - but doing the rescue work there was always someone else who needed a home when I had a space so I never got my Cavalier untill last week. Leo my Maltese Cross had passed away (at the grand old age of 14.5 years) & my Jack Russell was getting very depressed on her own & as my fiance had never had a puppy we decided to get a pup & so I finaly got my Cav! & hopefully he will be the first of many!

As a child we had a Tri coloured cavalier called Jasper (after jasper carrot) and a Boxer named Bob (the boxer) they got on like a house on fire and i was soo upset when they passed on!

As a teenager I had a very big black and tan Doberman called Axle who was the love of my life at the time he protected me and slept with me every night!

We then got a Weimaraner called Charlie who was completely nuts and i have to say very hard to control - she never fell for the same trick twice and only did things when she wanted too!

So after Charlie i decided it was time we took the relaxed route and thats when we got Harvey closely followed by Guinness - although they can be very hectic but in a different kind of way!

As a child growing up in the 50s we had three different dogs from the shelter, Blackie, Duchess and King. I wanted a cocker spaniel but had to wait until I was living on my own. Gumbo, a blond American Cocker, was with me for 16 years. After Gumbo, I had Abby, a solid black English Cocker, not a spot of white on her until she started to get her grey fur. Abby lived to be a week shy of her 14th birthday. When Abby was 12, I got Hadley, a Clumber Spaniel, and do not shoot me, but she is my heart dog. I have loved all my dogs but none quite like my Hadley. When Abby died I really wanted a second Clumber Spaniel but my brother Michael, who is developmentally disabled and lives with me, asked for a puppy that "would stay small for my lap." That lead us to the dog books and to Buddy, our Cavalier. He is a joy to have around, probably the easiest, sweetest dog I have ever had and now I cannot image life without at least one Clumber and one Cavalier. If I was retired, in good health and could stay most of the time at our house in the country, I would have two Clumbers and two or three Cavaliers.

Last edited:
As a child we had mostly cockers and then a mini dachsund. As an adult I diversified a little owning cockers, mixes, and one of my favorite breeds....the basset. Then I got a rough collie who I still have named Blu-he is a blue merle and so full of energy. I love him to death but do not think I want so much energy again. Lastly I arrived at CKCS and know that I will always have at least one. But I truly do want another basset. I miss my dear sweet Savannah so much. She died in September.

Most of the dogs I had as a child were pavement specials( mongerals ). Apart from Doogle my English/American cocker cross, Ive only had cavaliers for the last 25 years. I would love another cocker - one day.:)

Growing up we had a German Shorthair pointer-- she died when she was 17. Since I moved out we've had a cocker that needed a new home, a brittney, a collie we rescued, a cocker that was slated for euthanasia AND then we found cavaliers. Interesting thread!

First childhood dog was a little black cocker spaniel but good neighbours took her -- she was a gift and I don't think my parents were ready at the time for a dog, with toddlers in the house! (which is why puppies are *never* a good present to surprise someone with unless you absolutely know they want that particular puppy...). A few years later we got a Great Pyrenees, a fantastic, beautiful and noble dog who lived til age 13, ancient for a pyr. Relatives had pugs, GSDs, poodles, collie mixes... so there were a variety of other dogs around. The first dogs I got for myself were cavaliers, which I adore, but if I have the space in the near future I would like someday have a pyrenees again.

We always had cats as well and I'll always have at least two cats around the house.

Growing up we had mutts. My Father was in the Air Force so we travelled around the country. The first dog we ever had was a poodle mix named Lady. We got her from a shelter in Arizona, where we were living at the time, around 1965 or 1966. When we came back to the east coast to live, we put Lady in a crate and she flew with us. When my Father was stationed in California we drove. Lady stayed with my Grandparents. When we got settled we sent for her. She flew across the country again, we picked her up in cargo. When we came back home (Maryland) for the last time. She was again shipped on the plane with us.

That's why I don't understand why people say, moving must get rid of the dog. Ours went with us, it might have been a little stressfull for her, but when she saw us (or should I say my Father) she seemed to forget all about her ride. She was 12 when she had to be PTS.

Anyway, then we had a mixed breed that even the vet couldn't guess what he was. His name was Benji and he lived about 13 years.

When I moved out on my own I bought a Golden Retriever, Christy. She was a great dog. Very smart and lovable. Finally when she was 12 her back legs gave out and she could no longer walk. I tried lots of things, but she just couldn't walk. She had to be PTS. That is just about the saddest thing I ever had to do, make that decision all on my own.

Now I have Breeze, a 120 pound Newfoundland. She is 11 and I've had her since she was seven weeks old. She is a great dog. Loving, playful, very smart, friendly, an excellent friend. Then of course I have Scout, my Cavalier. What a great little dog she is. I don't think I'll ever be without a Cavalier. Breeze is great, but I'm not sure I can do such a big dog again, very messy. If anybody is ever thinking of getting a Newf, please email me for information. There are certain things you must know first LOL.

If I were to have a large dog, I would love to have a Great Pyr or a Newfie, but in Florida it would be torchure since it is so hot here. They are absolutely gorgeous! Are their personalities similar?

Growing up, my family always had a collie or a collie mix. The first dog I ever had that was all mine was an English Springer that I got out of the shelter, which ignited my love of Spaniels. I've had a Bichon/Cocker mix (Annie), a terrier mix (Sandy), and several collies. Right now I have Italian Greyhounds and my one Cavalier - As for why the cavalier? She was just to sweet to resist! I love her dearly, she caused me to fall in love with the breed, it's all Amber's fault!

Last edited:
If I were to have a large dog, I would love to have a Great Pyr or a Newfie, but in Florida it would be torchure since it is so hot here. They are absolutely gorgeous! Are their personalities similar?

I don't know a whole lot about Great Pyrenees, but I think they are a little more protective of their property and owners, they are used to herd and protect the flock. Breeze is protective of me and will bark, but I'm not sure to what extent she would go to if needed. Newfie's are known as Gentle Giants, that about fits them. She's a big old sweetie, teddybear. They both of tons of hair and I'm sure I can say this for both, they bring everything into the house with them, sticks, mud, ,dirt. I even found an earthworm on Breeze one day! :eek: The Newf is worth all the trouble and mess.

As a child we had a liver and white springer, the original Monty, then a fawn peke called Suki. Since 1973, as a couple we have had Cindy and Sally, black and liver and white resp., a rescued collie cross, Benji, then worked up to four cavaliers , of whom we lost Izzy last year.

Hmm OK! I have only ever had Cavaliers around me, although my OH would dearly love to have a Siberian Husky :eek: (We have not got the time nor the space that such a dog requires at this moment in time!)

I am in my early 40's (OUCH!) and freely confess that it was actually my younger sister (& Barbara Woodhouse) who first got me into Cavaliers! I was totally horse mad at the time, and "Training Dogs the Woodhouse way" was on T.V, my sister fell in love with the Cavalier (Seldom shown as he was very well behaved!) on that show, my parents found a puppy who we later realised was a "Puppy Mill" pup, for my sister. It was when she went to Universty and "Charlie's" care fell upon me that I really fell in love with the breed. Charlie, by comparison to my dogs now, was a right old grump, Sorry but he was!! He also developed a LOT of health problems in later life (He was almost 15 when he went to the bridge) that I initially bore the cost of until my parent realised how bad things were for him.
Charlie is the single reason I decided to get into this breed, and every generation that goes by, although not genetically descended to him, is incredibly, heartily, dedicated to him. I do not have a pic to post of him, but he is the sole reason I am so dedicated to this breed and their respective health problems.

When I was little we had Tui, a giant shepherd/? mix that my parents saved from the pound. Then we had Aspen, some kind of mix we adopted when we were vacationing in Aspen, Colorado. Next was Maggie, our blonde Cocker Spaniel, who was PTS about 10 years ago, she died from cushings disease and congestive heart failure. Those were all family dogs...as for my own, I had a few foster dogs from various shelters I volunteered with right after college - a lab/terrier mix named Fletch, a rottie/shepherd mix named Riley and a pit bull/english bulldog mix named Sophia - she was all white except for a black spot around one of her eyes, just like Petey on Little Rascals - she was a real cutie! As for non-fosters, Miles and Truman are the first dogs that are truly mine - well, mine and my fiance's :p He grew up with lots of dogs, including a cavalier, golden, poodle, dachshunds, cockapoo, etc...

I think our next dog will be a rescue, either another cavalier or an older shelter dog that no one wants so it can live out the rest of its life in a house with a family and other pets...but we'll have to wait until we have a house, since our condo rules prohibit us from getting any more pets! :rolleyes:

Back