• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pulling on the lead

Mycavyangels

Buddy pulls on the lead really badly and for a little dog he sure can pull :-|.
I have tried many differnt training methods including stopping and then turning in another direction but it doesnt work.

do any of you have any advice of how i can stop him pulling on the lead?

Thanks for any advice:)

Hiya!!

Do you walk him on his own or with the 3 girls??

I have found that when you walk several dogs together they can "fight" to be in front, hence the pulling!

Personnally I would walk him on his own (NO competition) and I would put him in a Halti, I know there are mixed feelings about this on here but I find it to be a very useful piece of kit indeed!

Do you remember Darcy? He pulled like a steam train and no exageration there either!! I walked him on his own, in a halti and used the "Turn around" whenever he started to pull, he soon realised that he was doing the same part of the walk in both directions! :lol: End result a dog who didn't pull and who's new owner loves walking as "I don't know he's there!".

Walking your dog should be a pleasure and NOT a chore, any dog that I can "feel" on the end of the lead is then walked singly until their particular problem is resolved!! HTH??

Hiya!!

Do you walk him on his own or with the 3 girls??

I have found that when you walk several dogs together they can "fight" to be in front, hence the pulling!

Personnally I would walk him on his own (NO competition) and I would put him in a Halti, I know there are mixed feelings about this on here but I find it to be a very useful piece of kit indeed!

Do you remember Darcy? He pulled like a steam train and no exageration there either!! I walked him on his own, in a halti and used the "Turn around" whenever he started to pull, he soon realised that he was doing the same part of the walk in both directions! :lol: End result a dog who didn't pull and who's new owner loves walking as "I don't know he's there!".

Walking your dog should be a pleasure and NOT a chore, any dog that I can "feel" on the end of the lead is then walked singly until their particular problem is resolved!! HTH??

Thanks Cathryn

I Sometimes walk him on his own around the block, and it gets a bit difficult with the 3/4 of them espcially as Rosie is slow:|

a halti sounds interesting, is it the harness?
Will be good to stop him pulling as it is a pain.

If they are in a group they definitely will be more likely to pull more.

I use 'Sense-ible' brand harnesses (front clip harnesses) with Leo and Jaspar as they pull in a group and I need to walk them as a group.

Hi!

A halti is a head-collar, I used to have horses (MANY years ago now :lol:) and I stand by the belief that if you control the head then you control the animal!! There are some who believe Cavaliers have too short a nose for a halti, but I have had good results when I have used it (Often as a last resort!)

The harness that Karlin suggests is one of a similar type although control of the dog is from the chest area rather than the head.

At the end of the day the choice is yours to make, "Google" both words, see what they are and make your own decision is my advice!! HTH??

I have found walking all 5 at once they really pull ..i use an ezydog lead now and have found it great :) a shorted one 25in for more than one dog to attatch to coupler and a 40 in for one dog

I use a Halti, I can't feel him on the lead at all. Different story when he hasn't got it on. I just wish they made a white one so it looked nicer!

In my training class they had us back up and call come every time the dog got out front too far... most caught on really quick.

I have the halti harness - it does stop some of the force - I didn't know they did small enough ones for the head......

I have found with Oakley that working on the heel command lots and lots of the lead in the house has somewhat helped with the pulling on lead outside.

This morning I was dragged up the road but on the way back Oakley walked really nicely all the way home. Its hard work but keep at it!

The sense-ible harness looks good. Does anyone know where I could buy one online from the UK? Karlin is it secure? I'd be worried it might slip down their legs and they'd get out of it? Also what size did you get for your dogs? It's worth a try as Sally tends to pull when she wears her Puppia. Thanks

You can get a double ended lead and attach one end to a collar so if the harness slipped off, you'd still be attached at the collar. Or you can get a little link between a collar and the halti as in this picture:

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.petexpertise.com/product_images/haltiharn.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.petexpertise.com/item--Halti-Harness-No-Pull-Harness--halti_harn.html&h=400&w=363&sz=33&hl=en&start=11&um=1&tbnid=o23N9_jxZZHy-M:&tbnh=124&tbnw=113&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dhalti%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

Personally I found this kind of harness helped but didn't stop the pulling. I prefer the halti head collar.

Last edited:
My Cav, Tank, used to pull on the lead pretty hard. Traditional training just wouldn't work, he would kill himself from pulling so hard. If I stood in one spot for an hour - he would just pull for an hour until he was totally out of breath or near to choking. I tried this type of harness
http://http://www.petco.com/product/4031/Four-Paws-No-Pull-Trainers.aspx

It's been working great. It's cheap and it works. One important point is that no matter what kind of harness you use, you still have to train the dog not to pull. By combining this harness with traditional training methods - not moving when he pulls, changing direction - My Cav is like a different dog on walks now. It took about 3 weeks of daily walks, anywhere from 10min-2hr walks - but he is much better at following me and coming to my side if I stop. I do not like the Halti harness at all. It looks like a muzzle. You can't even tell that this harness is on. When I walk him alone, he's an angel, but if I walk my pomeranian with him, the two of them do get anxious and excited.

Back