• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

does ruby colour dog go lighter?

ruby2

Does the ruby colour dog go lighter in the summer like a blonde haired child????

My ruby seemed darker a few weeks ago and now she is getting quite light on the ears?? Like a sort of light blondeish.:confused:

It can be genetic-- IF the dog is lying in the blazing sun for hours at a time, I guess the color could lighten... some people think that the black on bl/tan or tris can turn reddish if left in the sun too long.

I've noticed even with my blenheims that the spay/neuter coat will look dull, dry and light. If I take a special brush or a comb with the rubber band-- it pulls the duller looking hairs out and the nicer colored ones are left behind.

Last edited:
Lucky's hair seems to get lighter at times, but I think maybe its during his peak shedding periods. He seems darker after a good brush out.

He does have some longer hairs growing now at the top of his head (used to always be very short there) and those hairs are a little blonder. I think it's adorable though.

Ruby is just out the usual way for a little while here and there when the children are out the back usually. When it even starts to rain she is in. Oh and i bring in the children too. Hee Hee.

It is really cute. I bring her with me when i go in the car and have her on my lap when stopped. When i am driving she will sit on the passenger seat and lie not and not move. I wouldnt bring her on a long distance like that, but it is lovely. I thought today her ears were really cute lightning a little bit and kind of fuzzy, although i brush them.:luv:

Please do not let your dog sit loose in the front seat or on a lap -- this is extremely important for YOUR safety, your children's safety, and Ruby's.

First off, if you have a recent model car you probably have front seat airbag seats. As with babies a dog will be *instantly killed* if the airbag goes off! So a dog should always be kept in the back. Second, your lap is just the most dangerous possible place for a dog to be in terms of safe driving! -- if she slips and gets under your feet you could accidentally be forced to brake or accelerate, harming yourself, your kids in the car, or people outside. Next -- if your dog is loose in the car, front or back, and you brake suddenly, even at 25 mph your dog is thrown forward at forces that can exeeed 300mph -- enough to kill the dog, and more seriuosly, break the neck of children or adult passengers! If you are travelling at 50mph the dog will be thrown at over a *half a ton of force* -- little chance of a cavalier surviving that and a puppy will be dead immediately.

The ONLY safe way to transport a dog -- for the dog, and for the humans -- is in a safe harness securely clipped or better yet, a plastic crate seatbelted securely in place. (y)

Please, please do not take risks either with Ruby, yourself, your family or others outside the car. (y)

Oh please be careful with travellilng her on the front seat, especially if your car has air bags, as they can kill a small dog if they are released :(

Dogs should travel secured, either in a special harness designed to act as a seatbelt, or within something like a vari-kennel {plastic crate}. In the event of an accident, even at low speeds, she would go flying into the windscreen and could be seriously hurt or worse...

How do you secure a wire crate in the car? Are there attachments to secure it with the seatbelt?

:bang:

:sl*p:

h*lp Well that wasn't long wiping the smile off my face!! I don't have ruby on my lap when i'm driving. But i did'nt think of her going flying if i hit something. I was only going in the road so i did'nt think like that. Silly obviously.

Ok i'm going now. Not happy!!!!

Well if it makes you feel any happier, Yesterday I saw a gentleman (who was certainly old enough to know better) pulling away from a junction with his Llhasa Apso SITTING ON HIS LAP!! :yikes: :swear: :bang: I shudder to think what would happen if he had to brake hard!!

Now then getting back to your original question, some Blenheim and Ruby bitches coats go lighter just before or after their season, they tend to moult very heavily at this time and it could just be dead coat you are seeing prior to her moult before coming into heat, hope this makes sense??

Thanks cathryn you are always so nice with your replies.....

Aw Shucks Sweetheart!! icon_blshingicon_blshing:hug: "Do by others as you would have them do by you", life's too short and all that eh?? :hug: :hug:

Last summer I had my older ruby girl clipped quite short since she gets so hot and spends most of her time in front of a fan. When her hair grew back in this winter season, everyone has commented on how light colored her hair has turned. She looks like a strawberry blonde now vs. ruby colored.

It's funny b/c my daughter and I both have auburn hair as well as my other little ruby colored cavalier who is a very deep mahogany. So at my house, all of the red-headed girls are different colors!

Sheri R.

We use the bungee cords to secure crates into the car - most cars have anchor points.

ruby2, we're not trying to be nasty, just trying to prevent what could have been a very nasty accident. It's good that you know now.

Sadly I often see dogs unsecured in cars...and it always scares me.

We use the bungee cords to secure crates into the car - most cars have anchor points.

ruby2, we're not trying to be nasty, just trying to prevent what could have been a very nasty accident. It's good that you know now.

Sadly I often see dogs unsecured in cars...and it always scares me.

Gosh nicki i didnt mean you. To be honest, and i know karlin will be reading this and i know she said before if someone didnt like what she had to say then tough. But i will be honest. That isnt the first time i have felt that karlin can be very abrupt with me. Im sorry but i did feel like i was kicked in the teeth. The post was quite firm i thought that you did say it nicely nicky and cathryn. Sometimes i think people can say things nicely and get the same effect. Im sorry karlin. But its my opinion and i know how i felt when i read the thread. that's being honest.:(

Gosh nicki i didnt mean you. To be honest, and i know karlin will be reading this and i know she said before if someone didnt like what she had to say then tough. But i will be honest. That isnt the first time i have felt that karlin can be very abrupt with me. Im sorry but i did feel like i was kicked in the teeth. The post was quite firm i thought that you did say it nicely nicky and cathryn. Sometimes i think people can say things nicely and get the same effect. Im sorry karlin. But its my opinion and i know how i felt when i read the thread. that's being honest.:(

Hi Ruby2,

I'd probably feel hurt also, but please don't. :flwr: If you step back and look at the whole picture, Karlin dedicates a good part of her life to saving Cavaliers. I don'k know her personally...only through reading what she has written and I feel like Karlin is only trying to help. What she wrote to you might just be the 20th time she has written those words to others who have said the same as you...and perhaps after the 20th time saying the same thing, she might not have the patience. Plus, I often feel like Karlin has a lot of 'fires to put out'...and she has to be direct and to the point or else she'd spend her entire life 'putting out fires'. :flwr: She's only trying to help.

yes lynn im sure you are right. She is probably after saying the same thing over and over.

I'm like a big child. I was sitting there grinning at different things on the site and then it was like getting a giving out from an adult although im an adult myself.

I suppose i just felt it a bit abrupt. I shouldnt have taken any notice. I'm so happy go lucky myself. I'm not used to conflict. But as you said karlin was being straight, and i was stupid to have dog on front seat, and i was excited that i was training her so well that she would sit there for me. Daw or what?????:(

As they say....

Treat me gently. I was reared a pet.......:)

Don't feel bad, ruby2...I think many people don't think of the consequences that could happen if they're driving with their dog on their lap or in the front seat. I see it all the time, they must not realize that airbags can kill their dog, their dog could be thrown into the windshield, etc...obviously they care about their dog, they just don't know. If they knew, they wouldn't do it. But now you know, so you should be happy that you're being as safe as possible with your little one :luv:

Well, Ruby2, if it makes you feel any better, people driving around with their dogs loose in the vehicle is very common. In fact, I'd say where I live, 90 per cent of the people with dogs don't crate them in their vehicles. And there are loads of pick-up drivers who carry them around loose in the beds of their trucks!

My stepson always drove around with our Brittany riding shotgun in the cab of his small pick-up. One evening he smashed into an excavator - the dog survived (albeit with a fractured skull and separated lens), sadly, my stepson did not.

Back