PDA

View Full Version : Are tomatos toxic for them?



seren
13th April 2008, 08:01 PM
Hello just wondering if anyone knows if tomatos are toxic to dogs? I was cooking in the kitchen earlier and a baby tomato broke free and landed on the floor & before I knew it charlie had scooped it up and eaten it!! :sl*p:

I know it wasnt a huge amount he had but it got me thinking about the foods we eat that are toxic for our doggies, I know chocolate is a BIG no no but any others???

Thanks
xXx

Barbara Nixon
13th April 2008, 08:09 PM
Mine won't eat tomato, but I believe it's fine. What are not safe are the still green one's and the tomato-like fruits on potato plants (same family -solanus, hence the similarity).

Karlin
13th April 2008, 08:25 PM
The stems and leaves of the plant are dangerous but not tomatoes.

More info on poisonous foods:

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=9503

seren
13th April 2008, 08:33 PM
Ahh great thanks very much for the information and links! quite interesting to read.

karenc
13th April 2008, 10:31 PM
Can I advise everyone NOT to give corn on the cob to dogs. The cob isnt digestable. I lost my 3 year old girl a few years back. We dont eat corn on the cob and can only assume that one had been thrown in my garden from a neighbours barbi that summer. Hope began vomiting her whole dinner back and I assumed she had an upset tum. She continued to vomit and would stand over her water bowl as if she wanted to drink but coudnt and she swayed like a she was drunk. I had no idea she was toxic as Id not seen it before, so I took her straight to the vet. He gave her injections to stop her being sick but he didnt seem concerened. I rang later that night as she was no better.I was told to let the injections kick in. I took her back the next morning where I was told she was an extremely sick dog. I still thought she would be fine, never dreamt she wouldn't come out of the vets alive. She didnt, she died at the vets. I had a postmortom done incase it was something in the garden she'd eaten. That was when the cob was found, stuck in the top of her small intestine. That had caused the intestine to die, and even if it was picked up by xray she would not have survived. Sorry to have gone on but I just wanted everyone to know the danger from such an innocent looking veg.:(

Nicki
13th April 2008, 11:02 PM
Oh Karen I remember that happening, it was tragic - such a dreadful thing to happen.

Bless you for sharing this story - hopefully it will prevent this happening to any of the dogs on here.

*Pauline*
13th April 2008, 11:04 PM
Please don't apologise for mentioning about corn cobs, the more people who know the better.

I thought on another thread recently someone said tomatoes are not ok...will try to find it...

I found the thread where Karlin gives this link

http://www.nbc4.com/family/15665425/detail.html?dl=mainclick&taf=dc

which says, and I quote,

"Tomatoes contain atropine, a product sometimes used to treat eye problems in animals. But too much atropine can cause dilated pupils, tremors and heart arrhythmias."

I wouldn't worry about this one off accidental small amount myself. :)

seren
14th April 2008, 12:04 AM
Oh my gosh that is just terrible what happened Karen I have a lump in my throat just reading it :( & dont apologies your right the more people who know about it the better so as to stop it from happening again. (((Hugs)))

Thank you for posting the links and information i've learnt a lot of things that I didnt realise could be harmful & hopefully others reading this will too. I dont think the baby tomato has bothered him much he has eaten his own tea in the usual noisy & messy fashion washed down with a drink from his water bowl & is now snoozing!

Seren
xXx

Caraline
14th April 2008, 08:54 AM
Can I advise everyone NOT to give corn on the cob to dogs. The cob isnt digestable. I lost my 3 year old girl a few years back.

How sad! :( A friend of ours almost lost a dog this way too & it had to have emergency surgery to remove the cob from the intestines. Along similar lines, you have to watch your guests don't go throwing the corks out of wine bottles around either, as these can get stuck in a little dogs digestive system.

Cathy T
14th April 2008, 04:55 PM
How sad Karen :(

pippa
14th April 2008, 11:06 PM
Thats so sad Karen.

hbmama
15th April 2008, 01:08 AM
That breaks my heart!!! :( But thank you Karen, for sharing your sad story, because you may have saved alot of little lives. I am so paranoid about everything that my girl is finds and chews, but had no idea about corn cobs! :eek: With Summer barbeques on the horizon, with alot of guests around, one could easily drop to the ground and never be noticed.

karenc
15th April 2008, 10:14 AM
That breaks my heart!!! :( But thank you Karen, for sharing your sad story, because you may have saved alot of little lives. I am so paranoid about everything that my girl is finds and chews, but had no idea about corn cobs! :eek: With Summer barbeques on the horizon, with alot of guests around, one could easily drop to the ground and never be noticed.


My Hope was a scavenger like most cavaliers, and would eat anything. My garden has neighbours on 5 sides a few with children so I can never be sure what might be thrown over. When its barbi season I check the garden - just incase. If it saves just one dog from an awful death I'll be a a happy momma.:)

MishathePooh
16th April 2008, 03:15 AM
Here's (http://www.lacetoleather.com/fataltodogs.html) a list of toxic foods including tomato fruit. I've given my dog tomato fruit in the past without problem, though I plan on keeping it to myself in the future!