• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

second puppy

shan

i have a tricoloured female and am wondering if we were to get a second puppy what colour would be best no it doesnt really matter about colour it is more temperament but just wondered what you all thought on the subject

Well, colour has absolutely nothing to do with temperament so colour isn't going to make any difference. :)

I would wait til your current puppy is at least 12-18 months old before even considering a second dog or the first pup will get neglected -- training definitely lapses as soon as there is a second and your first deserves the time and effort of at least a year (eg to adulthood) of your sole attention. This will also hugely benefit your next puppy because the first will act as a role model rather than be untrained and setting a bad example.

I would then recommend going to a reputable show breeder who can advise you on the puppy with the temperament that will suit you, rather than just picking any old puppy on the basis of appearance or 'because it p;icks you'. The latter is generally the WORST way to choose a puppy as typically the most outgoing and active puppy will be the first to go to people -- and hence a lot of people end up with the temperament they do not want -- active, inquisitive, more prone to behaviour issues if not well trained, probably more reactive and barky, needing more exercise. A good breeder will always know her or his puppies and be able to make the right match (indeed a lot of breeders place the puppies to the matching family and do not allow people to pick out a dog that may be the wrong personality for them).

The main issue is to take the time to find a reputable, health focused show breeder, not someone breeding just to make money, advertising in small ads or online. Make sure they have done appropriate tests and that you see the certs signifying this, and that the sire/dam are a least 2 years old. Lots of advice on finding reputable breeders in the Library section. (y)

When we got Truman, the breeder gave us first pick of the litter of four puppies, but ultimately we went with her recommendation of which puppy would be best with Miles (who came from her, too). I was leaning towards the B&T girl, but our breeder said that the B&T boy would be the best match because he is very "soft" and would get along great with Miles, who's a a very sweet boy...we didn't want our second dog to bully Miles, and it turned out to be a perfect match. So I would see what your breeder recomends...it's hard to ignore the color sometimes, but personality and being the best match for your current dog is the most important thing, IMO :luv:

Back