PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Puppy Mill Cavaliers

frecklesmom
14th April 2008, 11:58 PM
Christmas Valley,OR had a puppymill that turned over several Cavaliers to Redmond Humane Society. The ones still there really look depressed :(. 2 appear to look like "chocolate" but think they may be mix or possibly caused by poor breeding. They are shown on Petfinder by checking this site's Pet List. Redmond appears to be almost central and a little north of Bend,OR.

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/OR05.html

arasara
15th April 2008, 12:46 AM
I just posted on this very topic on my "Oregon Cavalier Rescue" thing..

Do you know anybody that is affiliated with rescue in the area?

I've applied for Vixen.. my mother lives 4.5 hours away and she's willing to help in whatever way she can.. I don't think she has the space to foster EIGHT Cavaliers, but this IS a Kill Shelter (I have been in contact with them through Vixen's application and that was the first thing I asked).

frecklesmom
15th April 2008, 01:09 AM
I see your site :o. It's Monday. I just emailed CKCS California Rescue coordinator re: these Cavaliers. Maybe she will have a solution. There is no Washington rescue person either. Hopefully will get some kind of answer-worry about them and esp. the one labeled aggressive-probably had to fight for food and space and doesn't know how to turn it off now. They just look battered to me.

arasara
15th April 2008, 01:15 AM
I've currently got the Arizona CKCS Rescue Coordinator working on contacting all of her contacts.

I know there is nobody in WA State that deals with rescues that I know of who is registered, but my mother lives in SW Washington (about 4.5 hrs from the Cavaliers) and she will help in any way she can. She actually just adopted Faith's mother last August from a puppy mill.

I know she was interested in getting into rescue, but she's handicapped right now (she had a foot surgery a little over a month ago) so she's not been "on the ball" so to speak yet. Her eyes are always open though!! hehe :)

Mom has no problem picking them up, she just doesn't really have space for eight of them.. she can transport them back up or to wherever she can hand them off to rescue if we can get a contact for fosters/rescue organizations in the areas.

I'm also still waiting to hear back whether this shelter is even considering working with rescue on these guys. From what I know, many were in bad shape and needed dentals, etc. so I don't know what they are going to charge either :flwr:

Hopefully in the next few days we will have a much clearer picture of what's going on

frecklesmom
15th April 2008, 03:13 AM
Both California CKCS and Lucky Star say they will begin to work on rescuing these dogs. Am going to let both know of each others involvement and hope these little dogs will find their way to better places.

arasara
15th April 2008, 04:19 AM
Both California CKCS and Lucky Star say they will begin to work on rescuing these dogs. Am going to let both know of each others involvement and hope these little dogs will find their way to better places.

Can you PM the name/contact info of the person you heard that from to me please? I might be able to work with them as I said my mom might be going down there to get vixen and maybe she could help out.

I have also since heard that apparently one rescue has tried to get involved and the shelter has said that "they've received many applications for these dogs" and don't need help.. which is confusing since the last person I spoke with told me that they haven't received any apps yet.. Hmm.. Also, in other news, they said they will "try" to ferry them out to a different humane society instead of euthanizing them.. so that is at least good news.

One of my friends (the AZ Cavalier Rescue lady) is awaiting for a phone back from the shelter to see how many more might be coming in or if she can help in any way. :)

Hopefully we will see some great developments in this case soon.. and I hope they've released all of these dogs to petfinder!

frecklesmom
15th April 2008, 10:27 PM
Have this email now from Lucky Star::)

We have some folks working on it, including volunteers from Club Rescue.

Mary
Lucky Star Cavalier Rescue

Karlin
15th April 2008, 11:19 PM
That's great that this might come together. Good job and well spotted! :)

One strong recommendation: what is really, really important is that ONE person only be the one who contacts this shelter -- if lots call, this gets shelters very frustrated and has in the past damaged rescue's ability to help out. So please be sure all the different people interested in helping are all dealing only with the sole rescue contact for info and NOT ringing the shelter directly. I cannot emphasise how important this is! :thmbsup:

Please let us know how things go.

PS It surprises me that with some prominent national breeders based in the Pacific Northwest, that there aren't any helping directly with rescue... ? :eek:

frecklesmom
15th April 2008, 11:40 PM
On target re: multiple calls-wouldn't be hard to get crabby. The more you look at the west the more you wonder where these "big" people are when it comes to rescue and only hope they're working in the background :blabla:.

arasara
16th April 2008, 02:21 AM
I actually applied personally to get vixen on Saturday.. he looks like he has a splash of ET in him, but at that point in time, I didn't think rescue needed to be involved.. a few days later I logged on petfinder to see a bunch more had been posted :eek: According to one source nearly 1/3 of the 60 dogs were cavaliers .. :eek:

I think my mom is going to apply with lucky star for foster once she gets back up and on her feet.. she is in southwest Washington :flwr:

I will let you guys know what I hear of Vixen, but as of today none of my contacts have been called for reference information. I'm hoping they really do have it all under control.

I am not too familiar with rescue people on the west coast although I did alert the AZ coordinator who ferried the message across :flwr:

frecklesmom
19th April 2008, 10:58 PM
An email today from Rescue states they will be pulled so email efforts not in vain and Vixen going to someone's Mom :).

Cathy Moon
19th April 2008, 11:15 PM
Wonderful!!!! :)

frecklesmom
22nd April 2008, 03:23 AM
Vixen is with his new caregiver-how great is that :rah:.

Lani
22nd April 2008, 04:02 AM
Vixen is in very good hands now!!! :rah:

arasara
22nd April 2008, 04:14 AM
"Vixen" was picked up by my mom today in Oregon. He seems to be doing well and he's very peppy. :)

Mom said that the shelter told her he had just about every worm a dog could have minus heart worm as well as giardia. He also had fleas, lice, mange, and bilateral ear infections. Needless to say, he was a very sick puppy when he left the mill. ;(

Here's a picture of him just after his *maybe first EVER* bath:
http://x7b.xanga.com/063c276018531185294540/b142101440.jpg

And again close up:

http://x8b.xanga.com/43bc767320032185294676/b142101551.jpg

One thing that is particularly interesting is the under-developed musculature in his hind quarters ~ very very sad :( He will of course grow muscles in time, but very heart breaking that people could let a dog get like this and never exercise them.. I wonder if he was ever even out of a cage :(

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/2695/img1174ri3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

There are also more Cavaliers at this shelter in need of special Forever Homes if you are interested!

Karlin
22nd April 2008, 11:29 AM
Nice pics; so glad he got out (though why did the shelter call a male dog 'vixen'? :lol:). Hopefully his legs will strengthen up. :xfngr: