• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

dogs running crazy

wildandcrazyguys

Ok, my husband and I have 2 6 1/2 month old boys and we were recently gone on vacation and they took ill...my mother-in-law took them to the vet and after changing their food he said they weren't getting enough exercise and he said to let them run around...well my inlaws don't have a fenced in yard and they have been letting them run wherever they want...(we are staying with my inlaws until we close on our new house in which we are going to fence in a good portion of the yard for them) I have no problem with them letting them run but now they will not come back to me, even if i'm holding treats. Everytime I get out the leashes I am told that they need to run and i know they do but I'm more concerned with their safety. I took them out about 10 min ago and they took off for the woods and pretty much disappeared for a few minutes and then came out and still wouldn't come to me...when i finally got them in arm's reach i picked them up and brought them back in...I was a little upset that they wouldn't come back and my mother-in-laws said "they've done that a few times but they always come back" I had to walk out...what if they didn't come back..what would she have done?? I'm just so mad...What do I need to do?

How long until you close? Soon,I hope! Maybe print out some of the horror stories about dogs running loose and let her read them. If it were your children you wouldn't stand for it, so adopt the same attitude knowing you won't win a verbal battle with your MIL-never happens.

I've tried that...i get the "they are dogs...they are supposed to do that" speech...We are closing on the 30th and that day can't come soon enough. I love seeing them running full out but not when there are cars going 60 mph as close as they are.

April

I belive you have to be firm with your in-laws and tell them how you want you furkids to be treated - you need to teach them your training technique otherwise the furkids will get confused:confused:

If they don't come when you call them and they're off lead, I probably wouldn't let them off lead until you close on your house and have a fenced in yard. I'm not sure if there's a road where you're taking them, but I would worry that they might get hit by a car, chase after something in the woods or get hurt. I'm sure walking them a few times a day would be sufficient exercise for them. Plus, I'm sure they play together when they're inside, right? Mine seem to tire each other out pretty quickly just racing back and forth through our condo! :rolleyes:

If they don't come when you call them and they're off lead, I probably wouldn't let them off lead until you close on your house and have a fenced in yard.

Agree. You can use 25 foot long leads (training leads) to let them run -- those horse training lines work well too. I'd also go back to actually training recall as this is a crucial command :). And I'd walk them on extensa (flexi) leads in safe areas so they get more exercise. I am appalled a vet would advocate just letting dogs out to run around. You can give them plenty of exercise playing fetch even inside a house with a soft toy. One trick is to stand at the bottom of a stairs if you have one there and throw the toy to the top! It wears 'em down really fast having to run up and down the stairs. :)

That's really scary....and a very potentially dangerous situation. I would be firm with your in-laws and tell them that you will not allow the boys to be off-lead for their own safety. They don't need to run free....a brisk walk on leash is truly sufficient. At 5 and 4 years I wouldn't dare trust mine to run. Sure they'll usually come back but I cringe at the thought of Shelby spotting a butterfly and chasing it clear down to Tijuana....and she would.

I hope there are no nearby roads.
One of our greatest fears is Charlie sneaking out and heading to the nearby road.

Like everyone else here I'd be very worried about having my dogs running around in an unsecured area. Maybe time to read the riot-act to your in-laws :p

As others have suggested you could use a retractor lead, throw balls, frizbee & stuff like that. You might even want to get super-fit yourself & put your joggers on & take them for nice long brisk walks.

Thank you everyone for your replies..I've read them to my mother-in-law and she apologized for not following my instructions..they have a 14 acre lot but there's a road close by and actually their daughter was hit by a car while she was riding her bike to their mailbox 11 years ago and was killed so I know she understands the damage a car can do....I'm going to buy some longer leads tomorrow so they can play outside while they are attached to me. I guess I needed others telling me what I was saying was right before I could stand up to her. THANKS!!

My dogs never get to run free.....they are walked, or I play fetch with them in the house or backyard. We also go to the dogpark, but I would never forgive myself if something happened to them. I would be very firm about boundaries for them until you get your fenced in yard. The chance of them being injured or worse killed is just not worth it. But, I don't live in an area that has open space with no highways. I have seen how quickly a dog can become distracted and run....even if they have been trained for recall. To me it is just not worth the chance.....Judy and Dixie

Last edited:
Parents and in laws are often well meaning but misguided.My methods of caring for dogs would differ from my parents.Daisy was never allowed on beds and she'd only climb on couches if I picked her up and placed her there.When we went on hols last year we came back to a very happy and well cared for dog BUT she had been taught to jump on couches by herself and to my surprise landed like a flying squirrel onto the bed on top of me one morning.I've not been able to keep her out of the bed now and she treats it like she owns it and I'm just a hot water bottle for her.
I guess what I'm saying is we may have to compromise when there are other people invited to care for our dogs and as long as the in laws realise that letting them loose is not in the dogs best interest,then I think all will be well.Lots of luck in your new home and I hope you and your dogs have many happy and safe years together.
Sins

Back