• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Well, the Time Finally Came!

iLikeCavs

Today when I got home from school, I was noticing Mya was licking her "area" quite a bit. So I looked at it, and it was pretty noticably swollen. I kinda freeked out a little but then I realized she might be in heat. I haven't seen any signs of blood anywhere YET. She has been acting her same old goofy self today. Don't know 100% she's in heat yet but i'm pretty sure. She's just over 8 months so it's her time anyways. Please some comments and advice on how to treat her in heat? No bathing, walking? I'll be sleeping but i'll check in the morning or after school tommorow.

It does sound like she is coming into season. It is typical for the vulva to become large & puffy looking and the discharge is often almost invisible to start with. If you dab her vulva with a white tissue you may see a straw coloured to pale pink discharge. This is a sure sign she is in heat. Anyway you better assume she is & play it safe. Her season will last about 3 weeks, but it is wise to tack a few weeks onto that for safety sake. Don't want to get it wrong.

You can do all normal activities regarding bathing etc, but you will not be wanting to take her out into public areas, or leave her anywhere where she could escape or a dog could get at her. You will need to be extremely vigilant because her drive to find a boyfriend will be strong & there is no accounting to what hussies our little girls can become ;)

And that's not counting the number of "guy friends" that'll be sitting on your doorstep!!

Seriously, walk her on a leash on your own property.....males will scale fences to get to her.

We used to have a German Shep. neighbour and approx. 40 or so males blocking the road when she was in heat!!

We're in the same area, glad to see you on the board.

Sounds like she is in season to me. Please be very careful and keep a close eye on her when she is out in your garden. Even on a walk admirers will try it on and pester you so dont go out alone ask someone to go with you, perhaps an adult. :)

If you have a garden, I'd keep her on your own property. Some male dogs can get very aggressive, if they can't get what they want, and you'd have little chance to fend off a determined large breed.

And that's not counting the number of "guy friends" that'll be sitting on your doorstep!!

Seriously, walk her on a leash on your own property.....males will scale fences to get to her.

We used to have a German Shep. neighbour and approx. 40 or so males blocking the road when she was in heat!!

We're in the same area, glad to see you on the board.

Really. I must live in a very protected area. We don't have dogs running loose ANYWHERE. Now, that could be because of all the coyotes, a few wolves and a cougar was shot yesterday not that far from us.

Hi
My little baby Rosie is just 9 months old and she is just finishing her first season although when she gets a chance outside in the garden she goes piggy back with her big sister Poppy so i have decided as my other two are already spayed her visit to the vets will be about mid July.

Sandy, We're right in an affluent area of the city.

These dogs weren't running loose, the staff or nannies would put them out in the garden for a pee break and they'd take off through open gates etc.
Quite a few had leashes dragging, so I suppose they broke away from the dog walkers or nannies who had a choice between staying with tots in strollers or chasing the dogs.

The only amusing thing about it, was the "suits" in expensive cars coming by to collect the males and shouting at them for being "naughty dog" or "naughty boy"! lol

At least they knew where to find their males...securing their own gates might have helped. :)

Thanks for all your replies. Well today when I got home, she wasnt as excited and instead of jumping on me, she kind of walked over to me and asked to be pet. Still when I have food, she'll go crazy. Still no signs of blood either.

Today is her third day in heat. But when I got home, she wasnt excited at all like usual. Instead she ran upstairs to hide under the chair. We had the landscaping people clean up the backyard, and might have been making some noise that scared her, but she's never like that. Then she came down and I was on the computer, then all I hear is this human screaming like bark that was really loud and startled me. She ran upstairs. She also seems very depressed right now and won't even eat her treats. Do dogs get kinda funny when they're in heat? I'm pretty freaked out right now.

Edit: Ok it's been a while and she's back to normal all jumpy and excited. Dunno what happened though...

Last edited:
I have heard that some girls are out of sorts around their time....but my girl could have cared less and didn't seem to notice. She did have a little drippy blood on and off for about 13 days:eek: and was very swollen for about two weeks. Then it tapered off and the swelling went down close to week three. We kept her confined to the house and fenced yard for 5 weeks. Then she got a wonderful scrubby bubbly bath to get every last scent of girly girl off of her and we were back to normal. The thing we all missed the most was our two daily walks.

She also really blew her coat during the process (hair bunnys EVERYWHERE):v*cuum: and now she is hardly shedding at all. She also doesn't have her puppy weepy tear stains anymore either. Don't know if that has to do with hormones or just that she is becoming a big girl now. I am looking forward to her spay appointment the first week of July!

Back