PDA

View Full Version : crates at night time

brid kenny
18th April 2008, 03:43 PM
Just curious do peopleput their dogs in their crates at night.

Brian M
18th April 2008, 04:09 PM
Hello

Yes my three all happily curl up in their own crates every night

WoodHaven
18th April 2008, 04:11 PM
I can't fit them all on the bed- so 60% are on my bed, 40% (this % includes a 17 week old rescue and a 19 week pup) sleep in crates.

Cathy T
18th April 2008, 04:34 PM
Yep, both of mine sleep in their own crates at night.

Nicki
18th April 2008, 04:40 PM
Yes mine have a large puppy pen that they all sleep in at night, other than my oldie, Rupert, who sleeps on the bed with us, or sometimes in his {open} Crate in teh bedroom.

I think it is a good habit for the dogs to be in, at some point in their lives they may need confining at the vets, or following surgery, and it's less stressful if they are already used to a crate. It's also brilliant for house training puppies :)

Mine also have a crate in the kitchen, a large vari kennel, which is left open, and whenever I am in the kitchen, there is always someone settled happily in the crate.

*Pauline*
18th April 2008, 04:53 PM
Yes, Dylan sleeps in his crate at night, he quite often slips in there at around 11pm if he's extra tired thinking he has got out of his last toilet trip and having his teeth brushed.

Melissa
18th April 2008, 05:07 PM
Maverick sleeps in a crate next to my bed every night but he does spend all day sleeping in my bed.

Ste
18th April 2008, 05:07 PM
Mine are crated on the landing at night.

Bobby
18th April 2008, 05:12 PM
Yip, Bobby sleeps in his crate all night just off the kitchen. There isn't a sound from him until we hear his wagging tail when we come down to him in the morning.

cy1266
18th April 2008, 05:15 PM
I guess that I'm the first one to reply that both of mine sleep in our bed! Along with one, sometimes both of our cats! I think we need a king size bed... :paw::paw::c*t::c*t: I would like to add that they love their crate and are more than happy to sleep in it; we just love cuddling with them :luv: Now if we could only fix that snoring...:rolleyes:

CavyMom
18th April 2008, 05:20 PM
Some of mine are crated at night, some of them I let sleep with me - They sleep in a crate until reliably house trained, then I rotate through who gets to sleep in the bed at night - Except for Amber and my Hannah, they're spoiled rotten and always sleep with mom! 8 dogs(or more, depending on how many rescue kids are in my house at the moment!) in a twin sized bed is just a little to crowded for me LOL

Emma n Renco
18th April 2008, 05:22 PM
Harvey has always slept in his crate and loves it. He gets his own space as Bella sleeps on the floor next to his cage and she can't annoy him through the bars ;-). She won't sleep in one - but that is something to do with the majority of her life been locked in one, now she's free she wants to stay that way.

I think it gives the dog a safe place to enjoy their rest at night time.. Harvey is up all night if he is not in his closed crate.... Suppose it's what they have become accustomed to in their lives...

hbmama
18th April 2008, 06:41 PM
Our girl has her crate next to my side of the bed. She follows me around after nine pm and acts put out if I am not ready to go to bed then. After last potty break she runs into the crate and curls up for the night.

We plan on traveling with her up the coast and to the mountains later on this year after she is spayed. Some hotels prefer that your pets are crate trained, and it will certainly make travels much easier if she has her own little "mobile home" along in a strange location!

chloe92us
18th April 2008, 07:58 PM
My 14 YO jack russel X sleeps in a crate in our room with the door open (she LOVES her bed), but Casey sleeps on the floor next to the bed or on the bathroom floor, and Ollie sleeps in bed with us.

cb2u
18th April 2008, 08:23 PM
Sasha sleeps in the bed with us. :)

Mom of Jato
18th April 2008, 09:09 PM
Yes, Jato sleeps in his crate all night. We keep it in the family room downstairs, but we can hear him wimper when needs to be left out to go potty. We have a 7 year old cat that sleeps in bed with us, and she would be VERY unhappy if we left the puppy in our bed too.

cavlover
18th April 2008, 09:11 PM
My two sleep in there own crates at night, they love it and they sleep so soundly they have their own bedroom we call it the dogs room.:p All day long they have the freedom of the house they are the best dogs.
judy

Caraline
19th April 2008, 10:51 AM
All of mine have slept in crates all night until they are an age where I can trust them not to get in mischief.

Bruce H
19th April 2008, 11:26 AM
We have between 3 and 4 who sleep in bed with us. The rest are in their crates. We rotate every several months so everyone gets their turn in bed. It's particularily nice having dogs in bed with us in the winter when the thermostat gets turned down to about 66 degrees. What's interesting is that the dogs sometimes get too hot and will jump off the bed and sleep on the hardwood floor!

merlinsmum
19th April 2008, 06:32 PM
My two sleep in the bed with us:) They are great hot water bottles!

Justine
19th April 2008, 07:52 PM
Alfs has never had i crate,he is just great and wees and poos before bed and he has never done any damage.We are using a crate for the daschund ,because he will go at alfs all nite.

Cathy Moon
19th April 2008, 07:54 PM
We have 3 open crates in our bedroom. Geordie always sleeps in his crate by choice, India sleeps 50/50 in her crate or on the back cushion of the overstuffed chair in our bedroom, and Chocolate always sleeps on the seat cushion of the overstuffed chair. India is funny, because she moves between her choice sleeping spots during the night and heaves big, comfortable sighs each time she settles. :)

Seraphine
19th April 2008, 11:13 PM
My boy sleeps in his crate. I'm sure he'd love to sleep in my bed if allowed to but I think it's best for him to stay the night in the crate like he always has and also for me so I can be sure he can't get to anything he shouldn't have.

TriTitch
20th April 2008, 01:07 AM
he quite often slips in there at around 11pm if he's extra tired thinking he has got out of his last toilet trip and having his teeth brushed.
:rotfl:typical cavalier behaviour!

LuckysMommy
20th April 2008, 05:16 AM
Both of my Cavaliers sleep in the big bed with me and my boyfriend and our two cats. Thank God we bought a king! They do have a crate that they share and are wonderful about going into if I have somewhere to go. There was one recent night/early morning that I put both dogs in the crate to sleep because Brett decided it was time to play and I was too exhausted for that! He went in there just fine. But if I was ever to put Brett in the crate alone he'd just cry and cry without his sister. His sister on the other hand does fine alone in the crate, but that's probably because she was used to being in it alone before we got her brother.

Karlin
20th April 2008, 09:15 PM
Mine all sleep on the bed but all will also sleep in crates. When they board, they all are quite happy to sleep in their crates. :)

Cathryn
20th April 2008, 10:03 PM
With the exception of Logan, mine all sleep in their crates at night, always in family groups too! They are given the choice as the crates are put down in the day yet they all seem to want to stay in their particular Mother/Daughter/Grandkids sets!

Logan will happily sleep in a crate too, he just prefers to saw logs in my bed rather than his is all! :lol:

amanda L
21st April 2008, 01:28 PM
All of mine are on the bed, and I have an open crate beside the bed, sometimes one might hop off and go into the crate....but that dosen't happen too often though :)

Claire L
21st April 2008, 02:27 PM
Cara sleeps on our bed and Minnie sleeps in her bed on the floor of our bedroom. BTBH I'm finding it really frustrating dealing with all the dog hair.
I have to change the bed clothes every two days because I just hate the hairs. Doesn't that bother anyone else?

I'm going out to DTI today to buy two crates for the girlies and :xfngr: in a few weeks time I'll have a hair free bed :p or maybe I'll just buy a crate for me and hubby :badgrin:

Daisy's Mom
21st April 2008, 03:50 PM
Daisy sleeps in her crate every night. I'd personally like her to sleep in bed with us, but my husband is dead set against it. (He cites germs, fleas, dirt, etc. Oh well. It's ironic because when we met, he had a beagle and that dog slept with him on the bed. My dh says that's only because he snuck up on the bed after he was asleep.)

I've tried getting Daisy to sleep on a really nice doggy bed by our bed, but she wanders around at night and I find myself sleeping with one eye open wondering what she's up to. On the rare occasions that she sleeps on the bed with me, it's kind of interesting because she lays far away from me on the bed, unlike my dogs did when I was growing up. They'd want to be right against you at all times. I think it's because Daisy gets too hot laying next to me. She and I are both very hot-natured!

ppotterfield
21st April 2008, 04:19 PM
My guys slept in their crates until they were over a year old and then they moved themselves to my bed! They are still crated between five and six hours a day, four days a week, and I think that is enough. I actually still do the daytime crating more to keep them used to and happy in their crates then out of concern that they will get into mischief (although Hadley, my Clumber, loves to carry things around, so I would never give them full range of the house when we are not there). They love their crates and retreat there for naps and to just chill if we are downstairs. Buddy loves to nap with Hadley so her crate gets extra use!

Since I am gone all day during the week (although someone else is there until 12:30 p.m.) I find having the dogs sleep with me gives us extra time together. When I am out of town, my feet are always searching for them!

ruby2
21st April 2008, 05:15 PM
my 'one' .....dog is not in a crate. But she has her own room downstairs and we have a gate up for her. I didnt know about the crate until i came on this site in march and at that stage she had her own room but i must say this site was very good with the help it offered on the toilet training.

She has a few beds in the one room and she never wets now. My mother took care of ruby while we went to eurodisney. We were gone for 5 days and my mother couldnt believe how good she was. She is 5 and half months.........The dog that is!!! Not my mother...hee hee...only joking.

My mother has a bishon frise nearly a year old and still wets inside!! On the paper.
Of course as far as my mother was concerned it was ruby that was just sheer fantastic!! Nothing to do with me training her !!!!!!!!!:paw: