• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Geordie SM Update

Cathy Moon

We took Geordie to the vet today for his first SM prescription. We've been giving him Prilosec (Omeprazole), but he has been scratching lately. Since his digestive system is on the delicate side, we were a bit worried that an NSAID like Metacam or Rimadyl would cause problems. Fortunately our vet feels the same way, so she has prescribed Gabapentin. I'm so thankful we have drugs like this to make our dogs more comfortable. At the same time, I'm getting teary eyed, knowing that Geordie is getting worse. :( We have to get our courage up to face this journey. Please give your cavaliers an extra hug today, and send a positive thought our way!

Cathy - we are sending big huge four pawed hugs to you. I'm glad you have someone you are comfortable working with and hope this new med will bring Geordie some relief.

I'm very sorry to hear that. Have you looked into the cost of the Gabanpentin? Dr. Abramson prescribed it for Madison but left it up to us to decide. She indicated that it was very expensive and that we may be able to find it somewhere reasonably.

We're going to call around. Some CavTalk members have found very reasonable prices for the 100mg capsules.

Our cavalier Charlie (now at the bridge) had to take 80mg Gabapentin because he had side effects (ataxia) and he was also taking Amantadine. The compounding pharmacy prices were astronomical.

We asked our vet for 100mg dosage so we can go to a regular pharmacy. As long as Geordie can handle 100mg, that's what we'll go with. I'll let you know what price we get.

Cathy,

I'm so sorry to hear your news after all your family has been through.

You should have no problem finding 100mg gabapentin at reasonable rates. We found to local mom and pop pharmacy to be much cheaper than the chains, so it really does pay to shop around.:p

Lot's of good vibes being sent Geordie's way and hugs too, hope his new meds help him feel better soon

It's distressing and frustrating when you see new signs that weren't there before. Sometimes I think/hope it isn't so much that a dog is progressing to any great extent, as that their system grows to tolerate the drug they are currently on. Prilosec can help relieve the CSF pressure but doesn't actually address any pain or discomfort -- which the gabapentin will do. :) So hopefully he will quickly be a lot more comfortable.

You should have no problem finding 100mg gabapentin at reasonable rates. We found to local mom and pop pharmacy to be much cheaper than the chains, so it really does pay to shop around.:p
Bev, I told Colin about the great price you're getting, and he's wondering if they mail order. Could you PM some contact info for the store to me? - But don't do it if you think they'll raise your price! Maybe you could just ask them if they mail order?

Thinking of Geordie, here too - sending gentle hugs for the special wee man xxx

I think the Gabapentin will really help him - it takes a few days to work though.

Poor Geordie. I know what you mean, steeling yourself for what the journey will hold for you all. It is so hard. I wish you all the best finding the drugs he needs at a reasonable price.

Cavaliers are such a sweet and gentle breed.
It's such a shame that our little friends have to go through this.
God bless you and Geordie.

Back