PDA

View Full Version : Greenies are here.

Claire L
20th April 2008, 01:42 PM
Petstop in Blanchardstown Centre now have Greenies on sale.
I bought one bag of six for €8.95. I think they are too expensive for what they are and probably wouldn't buy them again. Fish4Dogs is much better value IMHO :)

arasara
20th April 2008, 03:55 PM
wow Claire that is so expensive!!

I don't know if it's the same thing over "here" and over "there" or not but I feed my crew "petite" greenies and I'm able to find a "pantry pack" with 50 in them for $20.00 *as long as I buy 6 boxes*

I find them to be too expensive if I buy them in singles, but my dogs would do ANYTHING for their greenies, so I try to keep them in stock around here. ;)

Claire L
20th April 2008, 04:14 PM
Yep Sara the ones I bought are "Petite" size Greenies and if I convert the Euro price to US dollars you're looking at $14 approx for six :eek:

arasara
20th April 2008, 04:20 PM
:eek: WOW Claire that is outrageous!!!

I don't think I would be able to afford giving my crew Greenies!! :eek:

I've seen them expensive here ($40 for 50), but NEVER by that much!! Yikes!

CavyMom
20th April 2008, 04:55 PM
I find Greenies to expensive, and they're not that good for the dog - I'll have to find the article, but I read somewhere online about them building up in dogs' systems over time and causing all sorts of digestive problems.

Melissa
20th April 2008, 07:18 PM
I think at our pet store here it's about $8 something for a 10 pack of petite.

Karlin
20th April 2008, 09:01 PM
They don't build up over time. A small number of dogs had some problems with them -- but a small number of dogs every year choke on kibble, bones, toys, etc. They were also reformulated to be extra digestible just in case a dog gulps rather than chews them, and have been the new formula only for a year. I give mine Greenies almost every day and have never had a problem and they come thru completely digested.

The cheapest way to buy them is from wholesalers in the US were you can get 107 teeny weenies (smaller than petite) for about $25, but you'd not get that price in retail stores.

zooplus.ie sell them too for less than that petshop price, if anyone is looking for them in Ireland.

hbmama
20th April 2008, 09:10 PM
I have always been afraid of greenies, at least the last chunk that could get caught in her throat. So, Karlin, if a dog does gulp down a chunk does that mean it would just dissolve and not choke her to death? I would love to give them to her for her teeth, but I am a bit fearful. I always throw out the merricks braids or bully sticks when they get down to about 4" or so also. Am I being ridiculous? Also, what size do you give your dogs?

Karlin
20th April 2008, 10:38 PM
I've never seen a single chunk come through either with the old or the new formulation. The new version is supposed to be completely digestible.

One of the most highly publicised Greenie cases was a chihuahua that died, but when you read the detail in the owner's original email, it was a very old dog that was given a greenie at least two sizes too large. :sl*p: If I recall, they didn't supervise the dog eating it either -- which is always advisable with any treat.

You are supposed to buy the size that matches the dog's weight. I use the teeny weenies as they are for dogs under 15lbs. Three of mine are that weight or less and Jaspar is just a lb over; I sometimes get one bag of the next size up for him.

The chihuahua BTW shouldn't even have been fed a whole Greenie -- for its weight, it should only have been given the little Greenie chips.

IF people aren't comfortable with a treat, though, there are lots of alternatives. Mine happen to really like Greenies and they do freshen their breath, so I like to give them.

Cathryn
20th April 2008, 10:46 PM
Totally agree here with 2 points, first off Claire you are paying way too much!! Second of all like Karlin I give the majority of mine the "Teeny Weenies" size and the larger dogs the next size up, I too buy from ZooPlus (I think Karlin gave the link?) they really do seem to make a difference and my parents who have NOT fed them have now had 2 dogs needing dental treatment :yikes: I'll let you all go figure!!

As ever when giving treats of this nature supervision is paramount!

arasara
21st April 2008, 04:28 AM
My vet and I got into a discussion over this very issue recently. She also told me that "greenies were bad" but I actually had one in my pocket *for Faithey after she got her shot :lol:* and left it with her. I have tested them before (an expensive experiment!) and taken one and ran it under tap water ~ and indeed, it dissolved.

I really like them for their breath. I have 2 over 15lbs so that's why I use the petite size.. for reasons like Karlin mentioned, I will always follow the proper size when giving them treats.

They each get about one per day ~ maybe every other day as it's expensive to get them here and I usually only load up when I go back to the states. I really do think they help for teeth and breath though :flwr:

Karlin,
If you are interested, if you buy 6 or more, you can get a box (102 teenies) for $19.99US from either Petedge or Dog.com as long as you buy 6 boxes ;) Saves a bit of money ;)

hbmama
21st April 2008, 06:25 AM
Thanks for your responses. I feel better now and will buy some of the "teeny weenies greenies" :D tomorrow.

Dublin
21st April 2008, 10:34 AM
I would be very carefull with greenies to be honest - they had a HUGE law suit filed on them in USA as dogs died after parts of the chews stayed in their guts or blocked them. :eek:

Greenies said it was because dogs ate them unsupervised & the dogs chomped them rather than chewing them up resulting in larger pieces of the chews being undigested.

For those using them I have also seen them in Wackers pet shop on the longmile road (Dublin).

arasara
21st April 2008, 05:13 PM
The problems came from dogs being unsupervised or eating greenies too big or too small for their size. As with any treat, these should be supervised when being fed. Comparing the incidences, I still feel much more comfortable feeding greenies than rawhide.

Greenies have also been re-formulated recently to be better-able-to-digest.

Taken directly from the website:

Nutritious and easy to digest
Greenies® dental chews are filled with high-quality, easily digestible proteins that break down into little teeth-cleaning, easy to swallow and digestible bits. Plus, added vitamins and minerals make them a complete and balanced part of your dog’s daily diet.