• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Gucky eyes!

JudyG

We've only had Maddy for about 6 months - she's a 3 year old Tri rescue - & we've noticed she does get quite gucky eyes, is this normal for this breed? They're not overly gooey, but I do have to give them a little wipe a couple of times a day. Is there anything else any of you use to clean the eye area other than tissue? I sometimes use very gentle baby wipes, do you think that's ok? She's otherwise perfectly healthy & sometimes loves nothing more than to clean her own eyes by wiping them on the nearest thing - my leg, the rug, the duvet etc.... :D. I did have a Cavalier many years ago & he quite often had messy eyes. Judy x

Is this a slightly yellowish discharge that seems to harden on her lashes?? If so then it is most likely to be "Dry Eye Syndrome". Basically this is a condition where the eye does not naturally produce enough tears, natural tears are slightly salt based and help to fight infections such as eye infections, I.E Ulcers. It is easy enough to remedy with the regular use of "artificial tear" drops/gel readily available form your vet/chemist. HTH??

No, not yellowish at all, just a bit gooey, sorry hard to explain really. Only hardens if I don't clean it, which I usually do, I'm a dog slave after all!!!

Hmm, OK Fellow "Dog Slave" try and take a pic of her eye's first thing BEFORE you clean them up and post it if you possibly can please?? Would be of tremendous help if you could! :snap:

Sounds like plain old gucky eyes :) Both of mine get gooey eyes, I just wipe them off with my finger....then wipe my finger on a kleenex, my pants, my socks :rolleyes: Shelby particularly gets stringy goo. Oh this is so gross.... :eek: But as long as it's not green (an indication of infection) I don't worry about it.

Sounds like plain old gucky eyes :) Both of mine get gooey eyes, I just wipe them off with my finger....then wipe my finger on a kleenex, my pants, my socks :rolleyes: Shelby particularly gets stringy goo. Oh this is so gross.... :eek: But as long as it's not green (an indication of infection) I don't worry about it.

Cathy, my eldest (10 tomorrow 21/4 :yikes: ) calls it "Eye snot" or "Eye Bogies" :lol: :yikes: :lol: :lol:

:D:D Agree with all of you!! CathyT, I think it is just gucky eye, nothing discoloured there at all, infact eye snot & stringy sums it up well! What about using the baby wipes to clean her face/eye area, do you all think that's ok? I figured if it's ok for babies then it should be fine for dogs? Frecklesmom, I love that your 30 year old thinks like a 10 year old!! My kids are 18, 24 & 27 years old, but they never grow up do they?? :D

:D:D Agree with all of you!! CathyT, I think it is just gucky eye, nothing discoloured there at all, infact eye snot & stringy sums it up well! What about using the baby wipes to clean her face/eye area, do you all think that's ok? I figured if it's ok for babies then it should be fine for dogs? Frecklesmom, I love that your 30 year old thinks like a 10 year old!! My kids are 18, 24 & 27 years old, but they never grow up do they?? :D

shouldn't do any harm but do be sure to get the "un-perfumed" variety and NOT Johnson's either as ALL of my kids had skin break outs when I used those!! :yikes:

I have found a great thing for gukky eyes. Not sure if you are in the UK Judy but. Shaws Pretty eye lotion is a little bottle of what looks like blue eye make up remover lotion for dogs. one of my dogs has terrible 'eye snot'. This is the only thing, with a bit of kitchen towel that gets dried on 'eye snot' off gently. its great..

Ruby has runny eyes at times, especially in the springtime. Our pollen count is so high right now, and I think it has a lot to do with allergies. However, her eyes got really nasty for a while, and we took her to the vet. She ended up have blocked tear ducts and had to have them flushed out. She doesn't try to rub her eyes with her paws anymore, so I think that her ducts are better. Now she just has the typical Cavalier runny eyes.

Hi Judy, i've found johnson's diamond eyes solution very good for what they politely call on the bottle 'tear stains' bot it makes the gunk slide off very easily and it's quite mild. Enjoy the gunk removal!

I just use cotton balls with warm water and wipe their eyes first thing in the morning and again at night...it always seems to be the worst in the morning :rolleyes: I also noticed that they had "gunkier" eyes when they were younger...as Miles got older his "gunk" level went down :D

hi can i also say my cavy also has gunky eyes & does your dogs eyes also have a dodgey smell with the gunk? I do use wipes but noticed they keep clearer for longer if i use cool bolied water just hubby ends up using wipes for convenience & i follow...

Hi, I can't say I've noticed any smell around Maddy's eyes. I tend to just wipe them with a tissue unless they're really bad.

Hi first post here so hello to all my Cavalier loving friends. My vet told me cold tea first thing in the morning and last thing at night does the biz. Thats to wipe their eyes with not to drink BTW(y)

Pippin gets the gooey type of gunk..I wipe with tissue or cotton wool and warm water.

When we first got DJ he had the watery type,tears running down his face... but we have a great cleaner for that..his eyes are always clean now..not sure if it's available everywhere, although there may be other versions of it....it's called....Pippin !!! lol

Pippin gets the gooey type of gunk..I wipe with tissue or cotton wool and warm water.

When we first got DJ he had the watery type,tears running down his face... but we have a great cleaner for that..his eyes are always clean now..not sure if it's available everywhere, although there may be other versions of it....it's called....Pippin !!! lol

Hey! We have a version of Pippin too! - Ours is the Merlin version - he's the deluxe version:
Eyes, ears, lips & forehead are covered with our model :)

Back