PDA

View Full Version : Question for those with rescues

Claire L
20th April 2008, 09:48 PM
As most of you know, Cara and Minnie have been with us for over a year now. We take them everywhere with us except for when we go shopping so they would spend a couple of hours at home and that's fine.

We are hoping to go to the US in September but I am really worried about how they will be without us for two weeks. I couldn't bear the thought of them fretting and I'm scared to death that all the confidence I've built up in them will be lost if I disappear out of their lives .

I was thinking of sending them to the dog minder for a couple of days just to see how they get on.

For those of you who have rescues, I would really appreciate if you could take the time to let me know how your dogs got on the first time you went on hols please.

Thanks

brid kenny
20th April 2008, 10:49 PM
Hi Claire, As you know I have Pippa a few months now. I usually leave them with Tara and my parents and she is fine. I'm sure she whines a bit at the beginning but that's the way it has to be!!
They will be fine. Perhaps send them to the minder for a night or 2. best of luck.

AT
20th April 2008, 11:15 PM
I've never had a cavalier that really fretted for its owner. we've had hundreds through rescue & took care of a few while their owners went on holiday . As long as they are fed & given cuddles they dont really care were they are ,lol

frecklesmom
20th April 2008, 11:33 PM
Freckles has been boarded and seemed no different when I came home. I dreaded having him be back in a kennel and worried while I was gone but he was his exuberant self when he came home. I think having his friends with him gave him security and I did ask that they be allowed to be together a bit during the day and also that they be kenneled so that they could see one another.

Karlin
20th April 2008, 11:37 PM
The dark secret most owners don't want to know is -- their dogs are perfectly happy when they go away to stay with someone else :lol: (assuming that someone, or a kennel, is reputable and friendly!). Dogs actually rarely ever pine for their owners -- and the pining usually only is a matter of hours or 24 hours max, during which they might be a bit subdued but not really upset. Anyone who works in rescue can confirm that dogs actually go very readily to totally new owners (just as your two rescues adjusted right away to being with you -- they may have been a little unsure but they were hardly traumatised, upset, etc). This doesn't mean dogs don't care about their owners -- they will always be absolutely thrilled when they return to collect them -- but they generally live in the moment and quite happily go along with whatever is happening right now. I know of my four only Jaspar gets upset when I leave them to boarding or to kennels (and they are quite happy with either, love seeing the other dogs, love the chance to run around and explore the exercise areas) and even then he only gets upset because he always knows he's being left in and it lasts all of about three minutes til I am gone -- then he is off playing with the other dogs. He and the others love the various people that mind them when I am away.

Out of some 60-70 rescues I've rehomed, not a single one has been much bothered to be moved to foster then to a new home. Some go through a couple of fosters before being placed and still are not much bothered.

If you feel you have issues with separation anxiety, though, there's information on how to train away from this in the Library section. Usually the owners cause more of the problems than the dogs, though, and are the real ones with separation anxiety, not the dogs! :lol: :thmbsup:

Honestly, I'd just pick a place for them to stay and leave them in with NO FUSS or you do risk causing long term and ongoing behaviour problems as they will read YOUR behaviour when you are going away. The advice is ALWAYS to leave the house or the kennel -- anytime you go away --with no fuss and return with no fuss or you end up with dogs trained to believe departures and arrivals are a big deal, causing unwanted behaviour problems.

When I arrive in I totally ignore the dogs til they have been settled and quiet for at least 3 minutes (I used to wait longer but now they know the longer they jump up, bark etc the longer they get ignored :)) When I leave they all are put in one room and get a treat and I just leave. I don't talk to them or fuss over them. Same when they go to kennels.

I've found many dogs actually benefit from being boarded or kennelled a few times a year -- often it is the only chance the dogs really get to mix with a lot of other dogs and for the dogs it can be a calm chillout time. I've deliberately kenneled overstimulated and stressed rescue dogs for precisely this reason.

Cathryn
20th April 2008, 11:49 PM
I really think Kalrin has said it all really! Leave them with the dog minder a few times Claire if it helps you to deal with it. I can only really liken this to a childs first day at school really, you have waited a long time and when it happens it is you who feels guilty, whilst the child happily gets on with with things! :lol:

Cavaliers are NOT as loyal as you would think!!

AT
21st April 2008, 12:32 AM
Cavaliers are NOT as loyal as you would think!!

Cavaliers arn't loyal at all in my experience ,lol I have my sisters cav here. I brought her for a few days to try & " train " her & she ended up staying , no fretting or trying to go home when my sister visits.
our first cav used to go to my sisters for weekends, again no worry about missing us ,lol

& they'll hapilly find new owners on walks & toddle off with them ,lol

Zippy
21st April 2008, 07:38 AM
We went out to BC last September and were going to board the dogs but when our daughter started asking all kinds of questions..lol....ie wondering if they'd be getting enough special attention, I suggested she book some time off work to make sure that everything was up to snuff! Saved me a fortune! But the pups were soooo attached to her, that our coming back was kind of "oh hi" and then off they went with our daughter.

It's all about food and affection!! ;)

casshon
21st April 2008, 10:00 AM
My two stay with my parents quite frequently if I'm away for the weekend - the longest I've been away so far is 1 week. Molly doesn't seem to mind who she stays with :rolleyes: but Bella does fret a little - apparantely she sits by the sitting room window and cries :o. She is very attached to me though. The crying doesn't last long and she soon "attaches" herself to someone else :D.

brid kenny
21st April 2008, 11:22 AM
Hi claire,
another great thing about boarding them is that they come back wrecked and I get 2 days of peace and quiet on their return!!:rah:

Lynn
21st April 2008, 12:15 PM
Dogs actually rarely ever pine for their owners -- and the pining usually only is a matter of hours or 24 hours max, during which they might be a bit subdued but not really upset.

My parent's took care of ours when we went away in January...they said Maxwell seemed depressed for about a day and a half then snapped out of it. I don't know if Molly even noticed that we had gone because she is so in love with her grandpa!

amanda L
21st April 2008, 01:21 PM
Hi claire,
another great thing about boarding them is that they come back wrecked and I get 2 days of peace and quiet on their return!!:rah:

Im laughing reading this, Ive just come back from a wedding/weekend away, and am so wrecked....collected mine last night from Tara and they are still in bed too, having a lie-on this morning:).....peace and quiet;):D

I also have a rescue cavvie aswell, and he was absolutely fine boarding:p

Claire L
21st April 2008, 01:49 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies :flwr: I feel a whole lot better about it now :thnku:
I'm going to book them in with Tara for a couple of days.

Usually the owners cause more of the problems than the dogs, though, and are the real ones with separation anxiety, not the dogs! :lol: :thmbsup:

I think you hit the nail on the head there. I'm a worrier by nature but I do learn from my mistakes .

Bruce H
21st April 2008, 02:42 PM
I may be a little late, sounds like you're feeling better about it. My perspective is from the other side of the coin. We dogsit for people who have bought Cavaliers from us. When a dog is dropped off at our house, it seldom takes over 1/2 day (usually just a matter of a couple hours) before they are one of the pack and playing with our dogs. Think of it like a kid going to camp. They may be scared at first until they get used to the routine and new kids, then they have a ball. But also very happy to be going home at the end of camp.

The only "complaint" I ever heard was that the dog will sleep for the next day. That's a lot of work keeping up with our crew!!

Karlin
21st April 2008, 03:14 PM
Thelly on the board also does home boarding, for anyone in the Dublin area. There are also some listings on www.irishanimals.ie. Tara is often booked out because of dogs from her classes.

pippa
22nd April 2008, 01:15 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies :flwr: I feel a whole lot better about it now :thnku:
I'm going to book them in with Tara for a couple of days.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. I'm a worrier by nature but I do learn from my mistakes .

Don't worry Claire I am an awful worrier too..and I suffer seperation anxiety everytime I leave the house,while the dogs are fine!:)

Claire L
10th May 2008, 05:05 PM
:updte: :jump:

Cara and Minnie went to stay with Rudee's former minder for two days just to see how they would cope with being away from me for the first time.
Well, I am DELIGHTED :jmp: to be able to tell you all that they got on fantastic. Cara had no problems at all and Minnie was very nervous (she has a lot of baggage :() but she ate her meals, which is great and both girls went out for a walk with the other doggies.

At least now I can look forward to going on hols later in the year and not have to worry about the dogs ( Phew!)
The big plus for me is, the dog minder is involved in rescue and understands the needs of a traumatised dog PLUS she lives five minutes away so the dogs get to go walkies in familiar places .

I can't tell you all just how relieved and happy I am that everything went well :rah:

Zippy
10th May 2008, 07:18 PM
Glad to hear that it went well, now you can focus on your fab. trip. :)

Cleo's Person
10th May 2008, 10:44 PM
Claire, I'm delighted to hear it all went well. Now you can settle down to looking forward to your hols!

pippa
11th May 2008, 12:57 PM
Glad it went well Claire,it will put your mind at ease now and you can look forward to your hols.

tocavornottocav
11th May 2008, 05:12 PM
The real question is how you train the owner out of separation anxiety ;)

Ashley
11th May 2008, 08:38 PM
Haha, Id like to know the answer to that one too!
We've never had to leave Holly yet, however the "plan" has always been for my mum to move in here for the duration we are away to look after her, either that or she would stay with a friend from the Dog School and that way I know she'd be around other dogs she knows as well, or with my gran. Although with my gran would be a last resort as Holly is used to REALLY long walks in the country and my I could just imagine my wee nan huffing and puffing up a hill with Holly doing the hill about a million times whilst she waits. :eek: My gran would certainly try though, but i wouldnt want her to feel she wasnt up to it as she adores Holly.

I used to cry my eyes out leaving our family dog, Penny (a Jack Russell) at boarding kennels!!! Would actually have to be dragged away from them when I was a wee nipper... so thats made me have bad memories. :rolleyes:

Im glad you're feeling better about it though and you can look forward to your trip!!!

:D:D:D

cosmic81
13th May 2008, 11:22 AM
as long as you are sure that ur dogs are staying in a friendly loving place. You will be fine!

we hate to leave our doggies behind when we are gone. (actually my bf hates it.)
our chingching is extremely close their grandparents. YES! He loves their bigger house and bigger yard and perhaps more grandpa/grandma time. (actually my bf's parents) My chingching probably would move to live with them in a heartbeat. He actually cries at night when he come back from their house, sometimes waiting by the door like a little traitor and hoping for them to show up..(he does that when they leave our house from a visit as well)

My father's dog flower in the contrast cant not live without him. I actually think that is a bigger co-dependent issue. that dog wont eat or move when my dad is away. meaning if its a 2 week long trip..she will stay in the living room waiting for him to return for 2 weeks! But that dog has real attachment issue..and so is my dad!

sorry for renting...my point is the doggies will be fine as long as they are staying in a comfortable place.