PDA

View Full Version : Fab harnesses for Cavi's

joey
21st April 2008, 11:53 AM
Everyone on this site raves about Puppia harnesses. ( i don't actually like them for my dogs - i find they can reverse and slip out of them easily).

I have found a great range of harnesses for cavs that look great, are really adjustable and safe. One of my dogs pulls and if a harness is to high on the chest , she chokes, but not with these ones, they sit really low. In the UK you can get them from Dapperpets.co.uk. THey are made by Red Dingo from Australia. Worth checking out. A medium size fits all my dogs as they are really adjustable.

Dublin
22nd April 2008, 10:17 AM
Oooohhhhhh - they're nice!

I wish I'd read this before today as I bought a harness for Sparky last night from the vets as he refused to walk on a collar & lead for his first walkies last night.

My other dog Cassie (Jack Russell) has allways walked on a harness as she used to pull an awfull lot & I think harnesses are much kinder than being dragged around by the neck - also Cass cant wear a collar for too long as it makes her neck sore (have tried almost every collar in the worlt & they all make her sore!).

TKC
24th April 2008, 01:57 AM
I have contacted them to see about trade ordering ;0

During class we have tried many harnesses. The reason the Puppia works and IMO is still the best is because there is no part of the harness that still acts like a collar. The Puppia spreads the weight or any pull across the chest. This happens because the areas around the neck and chest are wide.

If you look at this harness

http://dapperpets.co.uk/0/shop_enlarge.cfm?productId=37820&imageNo=0

You can see that it is made up of a collar part for around the neck and a waist part and then a place for the lead on the back. When the lead is tight or the dog pulls the pressure travels along the top strap which is directly linked to the collar part of the harness. The collar part still puts pressure around the neck and on the front of the dogs throat. Also the straps are definitely felt under the front legs. I have to say though that I have seen Cavaliers in class wearing the same design and they are comfortable.

We ask that every Cavalier wears a harness in our class. We don't specify WHAT harness and prefer for them to be on these with the collar only used for the id tag.

I have had to change dogs harnesses in class regularly and I find that the Puppia if fitted correctly and adjusted properly is the way to go or the SENSE-ible for strong pullers.

Karlin
24th April 2008, 02:50 AM
The main reason dogs can reverse out of Puppias is that people fit them too loosely, or get too large a size. I see huge Puppias on cavaliers and not adjusted correctly! Most dogs under 17lbs will only need a medium -- a large will be too large of the basic model mesh harness -- and they need to fit snugly. I see a lot of dogs reversing out of collars too or getting loose because owners have them on Extensa leads which then pop out of people's hands or don;t lock -- the WORST possible leads except for walking in safe, traffic-free areas. They are terrible leads for traffic or training.

My favourite Puppies are the jacket types -- there are almost impossible to slip out of and my SM dog Leo is far more comfortable not having something that has to be pulled over his head. :)

I am always interested in different harness models though! I like step-in harnesses too. :)

angelmommy
9th July 2008, 04:27 AM
angel pulls on her lead and this also chokes her. she finds the puppia to wide across her chest so tend to get a little irratated in it. this lady i met on a chihuahau forum says her harnesses have worked well on cavaliers in the past as they sit lower down on the neck. as chihuahuas have the same problem with a collar and lead and everyone on the forum has bought from her and says theyre awesome i am going to buy one for angel. she personalises them too and theyre so pretty and reasonably priced too. ill let ya know how it works for angel when i get it. here is a link to her website
http://www.parkavenuedogs.com/

Justine
9th July 2008, 09:56 AM
Its funny as i have had no probs with the puppia,it,like everything has to be ajusted to the dog.

Lexie
13th July 2008, 04:42 AM
I bought this Gooby harness for Portia and really like it. She is pretty petite and the Puppia was just too big on her. I use a Puppia on Lexie.
The harness is made out of a soft material but it is strong. It does come with a leash but I think it is too short so I use one I already have.

http://www.gbfsn.com/pc/catalog/04002_730_general.jpg

Melissa
13th July 2008, 05:13 AM
I have a puppia and a step in nylon web. I have no problems with either one. I really like how adjustable the step in one is.

merlinsmum
13th July 2008, 11:18 AM
I have a range of harnesses ( no surprise to most on here!)

I have the halti - which I find is too thin, cuts into their armpits, and loosens on the front where the D ring is..... ( so I don't use this one much)

I have an array of Puppia's which neither of mine have backed out of - as Karlin says they have to be the right size and well fitted. ( I use these most of the time)

I also have fleece harnesses from www.snugglepets.co.uk, these are very good, there is no collar part to it, it goes over the head but rests against the shoulders rather than around the neck, it clips together at the sides so you don't have to lift the dogs legs up. They also do fleece leads - which I must recommend to everyone:) The lead has a fleece lined handle bit, which is great if you forget your gloves on a cold day:) ( I use these most of the time too, generally every other day swopping with the puppia)

nicola
13th July 2008, 03:48 PM
brilliant, I really need recommendations for harnesses. Do you put these on under or over a coat and could you possibly tell me what size you have for your dogs? Thank you so much for this valued info. I just looked at the website and they look great!

Melissa
13th July 2008, 03:52 PM
Maverick is about 16lbs and wears a med puppia and a small nylon step in.

nicola
13th July 2008, 03:52 PM
oooohhhh. I've just looked at their fleece coats and they look excellent and they come in some really nice colours!!

merlinsmum
13th July 2008, 05:53 PM
Size 1 - not the size the site recommends which is size 2 - its far too big (My boys are 18 and 20 pounds and the size one is just right.

nicola
13th July 2008, 06:00 PM
Thanks Kirsty, I'm off to order the harnesses and lovely fleeces :)

nicola
13th July 2008, 06:04 PM
Kirsty, what colour did you get? Charlie is B & T and Lady is Blenheim. The colours are really lovely and there is so many it is hard to decide. I thought the mustard, brown and emerald green would all look nice oh and the red also??!! Do you by chance have any of the fleece coats?

pippa
28th July 2008, 08:52 PM
I use step in harnesses for my three and find them good but I still think DJ is too free on it and may be getting him a sense-ible.

merlinsmum
29th July 2008, 02:00 PM
Kirsty, what colour did you get? Charlie is B & T and Lady is Blenheim. The colours are really lovely and there is so many it is hard to decide. I thought the mustard, brown and emerald green would all look nice oh and the red also??!! Do you by chance have any of the fleece coats?

I got black harnesses and a black leads. Then they both match and there are no arguements!