PDA

View Full Version : SORTED: 10 year old in Texas needs urgent help!!!

CavyMom
24th April 2008, 09:24 PM
This was just posted on a cavalier list I'm on, hopefully someone will know of a person or rescue group who can help Harry!

I am sending this email out in an attempt to save a dog's life. I received a call today and was notified that the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Rescue has an older dog that cannot be placed. His original breeder called me and told me the following:
He is ten years old, his name is "Harry," and was placed with his "forever" family as a puppy. He is Tri-colored and loves people. His "forever" family has given him up because when they brought home a new puppy recently, he attacked it. The family decided to give up their companion of ten years, the Cavalier, and keep the new puppy. He was taken to a home that had no other pets, but when a relative brought their dog over, he attacked it as well.
We do not know what has happened to make this dog aggressive towards other animals. This is a low dominance breed. We do know that he is very loving towards humans, any age. He probably has two to three years to live, if that. He is being shipped to Dallas and his breeder will take him directly to the vet to give him a complete physical and a prognoses.
His breeder cannot keep him because she still maintains her own kennel. She cannot put her current dogs in harms way. She is taking full responsibility for this dog and paying for all of his expenses, and she doesn't want to put him down, but she cannot keep him.
The Rescue people say that "Harry" still has quality of life. He is housebroken, fixed, and simply looking to hangout and sit on someone's lap until his days are over. We will have more information about his condition as soon as he arrives in Dallas this week.
If you know anyone that can help with "Harry's" situation, please contact me immediately. If you know anyone who is loving and doesn't have any animals, please forward this to them. Actually, forward this to everyone you know! He will have to be put down shortly if a family isn't found.
Thank you for your time,
CONTACT DETAILS REMOVED - PM ME PRIVATELY FOR CONTACT INFORMATION

Karlin
24th April 2008, 09:38 PM
I'd venture this is likely a medical pain problem if the dog has never ever had problems with meeting other dogs before and that may require that the dog be euthenised of itself. However, if it is a behaviour issue, it can be easily managed -- a cavalier is small and easily picked up if another dog approaches and a 10 year old doesn't need excessive or even necessarily any walks. My Lily is really reactive when she first meets other dogs and I often have to take special steps with her with dogs she doesn't know. She reacts and must be managed like an aggressive dog even though she actually isn't, and honestly it isn't a big deal. Also I'd want someone who actually knows dogs to see if this dog is actually aggressive or just showing annoyance. A lot of elderly dogs can seem 'aggressive' with puppies or strange dogs, initially if they have been solo dogs, especially if placed into new and stressful situations like a rehoming, but will settle quickly if this is simply managed properly. It isn't actual aggression.

Personally I'd find it appalling if a breeder would not take proper responsibility for a dog of her breeding though simply because of this problem. It is not that difficult to create a space where the older dog could be managed for its final years, simply using baby gates on a room. If a home cannot be found, it is ethically wrong to euthenise the dog because it is inconvenient to do this for the short remainder of the dog's life. Anyone who fosters rescues regularly manages reactive dogs now and then, and a breeder should certainly have the means to do this. :mad: It is a bit depressing that club breed rescue is conceding to putting down such a dog too. :(

Nancy
25th April 2008, 12:21 AM
This doesn't sound accurate , I will check to see if Club rescue was contacted.

Karlin
25th April 2008, 12:39 AM
Thanks Nancy; I can't believe this could be such an either/or situation if rescue is involved.

Bridam
25th April 2008, 01:14 AM
Did anyone contact the Houston cavalier rescue?

Karlin
25th April 2008, 01:25 AM
Sounds like Nancy will check this out. :)

CavyMom
25th April 2008, 03:02 AM
If anyone wants the contact details I have, I'm more then happy to share those privately - I just wasn't sure if it was a good idea to post those publically. I agree that the breeder should make the provisions to take the dog back - It's part of being a breeder, but that being said - At least she's not expecting the financial care of the dog to go onto the rescue!! I've had a couple of reactive dogs, and when you're talking a 15 lb or so dog, it's not that hard to manage and keep them in seperate areas as someone else said, but I try not to judge. As I'm following this on the other list, someone asked about Lonestar cavalier rescue, and they just said where the cavalier was already in rescue that wasn't an option - So I don't know what the whole story is, I'm just hoping someone steps up to the plate for this old boy!! I'd be so tempted to take him in and work with him myself if I could get him here from Houston, but I've always had a problem shipping dogs, and I've got so many things tying me down right now I have no way to go to Houston and get him!!!!

Nancy
25th April 2008, 03:23 AM
so that doesn't sound like breed rescue. If the breeder wants to surrender the dog there, they need to contact them.

Karlin
25th April 2008, 10:51 AM
Both national clubs run breed rescue so that would be an obvious place for the breeder to go.

I wonder who has the dog at the moment? Once she has the dog then she should definitely contact breed rescue. Lucky Star is a rescue focused on puppy farm dogs so it wouldn't really be the right place for this dog to go. Club breed rescue is there for exactly this type of situation.

Nancy
25th April 2008, 02:49 PM
Is this dog being fostered in Atlanta right now? If so, the situation is being handled by CKCSCR and the dog will be placed.

ruby2
25th April 2008, 05:30 PM
What is happening with the dog? Any update? The poor fella. Thats not fair. How could those people give up the older dog and keep the puppy.
There must be more to the story???

Karlin
25th April 2008, 05:37 PM
People always give up the older dog and keep the puppy. Sometimes they gt the puppy with the intention of discarding the old dog, but more often, unfortunately lots of people decide that what their elderly dog really needs is a puppy to liven him/her up again (why they didn't get the second dog when the first one was younger and more likely to welcome a companion, who knows). Most of the time a young puppy is about the last thing an elderly, only-dog wants in its life. But from the family's perspective, the puppy is cute, the elderly dog is about finished, so they get rid of the oldie and keep the puppy. Sometimes they think there will be waiting lists for their elderly dogs -- which are actually quite difficult to place. For all that people like to oooh and ahhh over their pictures, very few people anywhere actually want to home an older rescue dog -- meaning any dog over 6. Even though, as far as I am concerned, these are often the best, most unique and personable dogs I get into rescue. :) Go for an oldie! My application files are full of applications asking for female, house trained, child and cat friendly cavaliers under age one, though. :rolleyes: Oh yes and happy to be alone all day too.

Bridam
25th April 2008, 07:32 PM
People always give up the older dog and keep the puppy. Sometimes they gt the puppy with the intention of discarding the old dog, but more often, unfortunately lots of people decide that what their elderly dog really needs is a puppy to liven him/her up again (why they didn't get the second dog when the first one was younger and more likely to welcome a companion, who knows). Most of the time a young puppy is about the last thing an elderly, only-dog wants in its life. But from the family's perspective, the puppy is cute, the elderly dog is about finished, so they get rid of the oldie and keep the puppy. Sometimes they think there will be waiting lists for their elderly dogs -- which are actually quite difficult to place. For all that people like to oooh and ahhh over their pictures, very few people anywhere actually want to home an older rescue dog -- meaning any dog over 6. Even though, as far as I am concerned, these are often the best, most unique and personable dogs I get into rescue. :) Go for an oldie! My application files are full of applications asking for female, house trained, child and cat friendly cavaliers under age one, though. :rolleyes: Oh yes and happy to be alone all day too.

I'm sorry. We could never give up a member of the family for a newer model. How could you uproot a dog for such selfish reasons? The puppy would go back.

Karlin
25th April 2008, 07:58 PM
I know, it is depressing -- but happens all the time. At least this family got back in touch with the breeder. Many just drop the old dog at the pound where it stands no chance of being adopted and will be put down without even its own family there to be at the dog's side :mad:. On the rescue side we see it all the time.

ruby2
25th April 2008, 08:41 PM
I wonder is there any news on the poor dog yet??? I hope he gets a nice home...

Nancy
25th April 2008, 09:40 PM
I received this information
"Harry is safely in CKCSC Rescue, as of Wednesday. It took a little doing, but he's safe and sound. As a matter of fact, I'm hoping to hear from a home I contacted about adopting him. :-)

Keep your fingers crossed!

Charlotte"

Karlin
25th April 2008, 10:34 PM
That's great news Nancy. It sounds like there was a bit of a story there...

CavyMom
26th April 2008, 07:11 AM
That's great news! I'm so relieved to hear that!!!

Nancy
26th April 2008, 08:52 PM
The only other information I have is that poor Harry does still need a home, and he has a grade 5 murmur and dry eye that is being treated. Not sure what all the drama was about, but Cavalier Rescue does not turn away dogs in my experience, in fact they are there for the dogs no one else cares for. I got a 14.5 year old boy in,over xmas, that never received any more medical care than yearly shots yet he had a grade 5 murmur and an obvious growth on his mouth that turned out to be malignant. Once his murmur was stabilized, he got a dental and the growth removed, and he is still around and excited about his next meal. I was amazed that no one hesitated, because they knew the family would likely put him down if we refused. Harry should be up on the website shortly I expect.

Karlin
26th April 2008, 10:17 PM
Somehow I think the issue probably wasn't at the breed rescue end of things -- going by the original post, sounds like some crossed wires or someone trying to be helpful but getting a little overwrought. I'm glad the message was crossposted so that we know things will work out on all sides. :)

frecklesmom
6th May 2008, 01:16 AM
:updte: This boy is now gracing Cavalier Rescue -southern-

http://www.cavalierrescueusa.org/html/southern.html

pippa
6th May 2008, 08:49 AM
Hope he finds a loving home soon. Imagine giving your Pal of 10 years up because you get a puppy...I wonder how long they'll keep the puppy for before they replace it!

This makes me so angry.