• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Spam PM

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Apologies to anyone who received a spam PM from 'Patricia'. This member has now been suspended as regardless of whether they intended to participate in the forum (I think not) sending spam (unsolicited junk messages) through PMs is grounds for automatic removal from the board.

Thanks to members for notifying me of this problem. (y)

I have very tight registration controls on the board and very few junk accounts sneak through (most are blocked before they can ever fully register and never appear on the member lists -- that's why there are several steps to registration, and confirmation emails, which I know is a bit of a pain but spam accounts otherwise are a real problem) but it is hard to prevent every single dubious account.

I just realised this great board software includes an option to delete all the PMs sent by a member -- so have done so. Thus no one else who hasn't seen this message is going to see it. (y)

Happily I haven't received any of these messages, but it is nice to know that you are all on the ball on these matters!!

Thanks Karlin. I really appreciate all the work that you do to protect us from the spammers.:rah:

Some may have received the message anyway if you are set to get email notifications of PMs. Nothing obscene, just annoying.

Thanks :) I know from moderating on other sites what a thankless task it can sometimes be, so thanks for doing a grand job :)

They just tried to register again. How weird to try and draw interest in Buddhism by *spamming* forums. I would think that totally antithetical to what Buddhism is about. :sl*p:

Back